Yakuza Kiwami Announced for Nintendo Switch

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
I remembered a few years back not too long ago the studio said they couldn’t see bringing Yakuza to Switch because they viewed the Switch as family friendly hardware and they wanted to respect that sanctity. Welp, so much for that. Lol.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
But then I realized this is launching with the Yakuza TV show.

The one whose creators and actors never played or watched any content from the videogames ever, because they want to make it their own and not be limited by the source material?

Yeah, that's going to work out great.

• Informative
Reactions: Zzero

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
The one whose creators and actors never played or watched any content from the videogames ever, because they want to make it their own and not be limited by the source material?

That's a very standard practice.
Also the people who might complain about the show not having much to do with the game already have the game.

This port is for newcomers with a potential emphasis on the Japanese market/Asia?(it's on the Switch after all)

Also, I might off a bit on this, but I think that Japan is a bit less annoyed by the practice of adaptations not following the source material? The amount of books/mangas/novels/insert any media that get some wild ass adaptations that goes place is so standard in Japan, they must not mind much or else they'd stop producing those. I've been seeing crazy wack clips from a variety of them since like the early 2000s at this point.

24 Jun 2022
This is just the start. I won't be surprised if the next new Yakuza game (depending on when it releases) is Day 1 on Switch 2. This series is probably going to have a big glow-up in Japan thanks to that, and likely internationally as well.

uyoung1989

3 Feb 2024
This is just the start. I won't be surprised if the next new Yakuza game (depending on when it releases) is Day 1 on Switch 2. This series is probably going to have a big glow-up in Japan thanks to that, and likely internationally as well.
Crisis Core Reunion launched on Switch Day 1 and it didn’t have the big glow-up you thought.

24 Jun 2022
Crisis Core Reunion launched on Switch Day 1 and it didn’t have the big glow-up you thought.

That game didn't do so hot anywhere so seems like it was more of a game problem?

Also IIRC Switch performance for it was rather bad, would've further lessened demand for that version of the game. Market was different at that time, too.

Future Yakuza releases being Day 1 on Switch 2 will likely see much better performance by comparison.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
That game didn't do so hot anywhere so seems like it was more of a game problem?

Also IIRC Switch performance for it was rather bad, would've further lessened demand for that version of the game. Market was different at that time, too.
Smh @ anyone who skipped Kino Core Reunion. Super impressive remaster that turned a PSP game into something that looks modern while keeping everything mostly the same (but with slightly better combat). Zack has never looked hotter