Yoshi-P said that millions of people downloaded the FF16 demo!

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Makes all the drama and doom about it being PS5 exclusive even dumber. It will be the biggest Final Fantasy ever. The hype is crazy.

The thread for the demo on ERA is already at 92 pages in 5 days...for a demo! Bigger than most OTs.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
“Slightly panicking over low pre sales” 😂
Well a demo download is obviously not a pre-sale ...

But I didn't really believe in that rumor anyway. And I'm going to buy it and I haven't pre-ordered it so surely there are a bunch of people in that boat.

Reactions: John Elden Ring

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The source is Genki but he retracted because he's not sure that's what Yoshi P said. We'll get the actual number later.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I'll delete and download it again to help. The GOAT demo.

thats-why-hes-the-goat-mvp.gif

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Pretty big marketing W tbh, I am sure they are all breathing easier due to how the demo took off. Turns out when you make a good product people pay attention. Xbox could learn a thing or two.

Also, people are speedrunning the demo lol

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The big thing people need to remember is that publishers quit doing demos commonly before the 36/PS3 generation ended because so many found out that a bad demo or one that didn't really show what a game was like hurt the sales of the final product.

Square has been a lot better than most about releasing demos, and hopefully the uptick in preorders and positive coverage encourages more publishers and devs to release demos again.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The big thing people need to remember is that publishers quit doing demos commonly before the 36/PS3 generation ended because so many found out that a bad demo or one that didn't really show what a game was like hurt the sales of the final product.

Square has been a lot better than most about releasing demos, and hopefully the uptick in preorders and positive coverage encourages more publishers and devs to release demos again.
I agree with the publishers, Square should stop doing that unless it's FF, Kindgom Hearts or something big like that.

I downloaded Live a live, Octopath II, Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 6, Stranger in Paradise, Diofield and Final Fantasy theatre rhythm demos and then never got the games 😳 They all underperformed too so I guess the demos didn't help.

Forspoken demo actually killed any chance the game had.

FF16 is the only exception but in my case I was already getting the game Day 1 anyway.

In general I don't think demos are a good idea for every game. It kills the hype most of the time (again FF16 is the exception).

Reactions: Dr Bass

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I agree with the publishers, Square should stop doing that unless it's FF, Kindgom Hearts or something big like that.

I downloaded Live a live, Octopath II, Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 6, Stranger in Paradise, Diofield and Final Fantasy theatre rhythm demos and then never got the games 😳 They all underperformed too so I guess the demos didn't help.

FF16 is the only exception but in my case I was already getting the game Day 1 anyway.

In general I don't think demos are a good idea for every game. It kills the hype most of the time (again FF16 is the exception).
Great points. I downloaded almost all of those demos too and didn't buy any of them. But, yeah, I am buying this one. Also ordered the collectors edition soundtrack. 😁

• Shake
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

the demos made me want to buy these games so they’re good for me. I haven’t bought them yet because I don’t think they’re full price worth, but I wouldn’t have played them at all had I not played the demos.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Great points. I downloaded almost all of those demos too and didn't buy any of them. But, yeah, I am buying this one. Also ordered the collectors edition soundtrack. 😁
I want to buy the soundtrack too but the SQENIX site says it's an import from japan and I want to wait and see if they release a version that's localized in english since it's a struggle trying to read japanese

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I want to buy the soundtrack too but the SQENIX site says it's an import from japan and I want to wait and see if they release a version that's localized in english since it's a struggle trying to read japanese
Game soundtrack discs usually A. have localized track titles on the Japanese covers and B. Don't get accessible releases in the west. Sure selling the JP disc as an import is probably your best option unless you could just order the disc off Amazon japan or CDAsia.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: anonpuffs

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Game soundtrack discs usually A. have localized track titles on th Japanese covers and B. Don't get accessible releases in the west. Sure selling the JP disc as an import is probably your best option unless you could just order the disc off Amazon japan or CDAsia.
Yep. Not worth waiting for if you want a physical set in English because it's almost guaranteed to not happen.

I order these things for very select games as I just like having the set for games that I think will be worth remembering or listening to over the years. @anonpuffs if you want the actual collection I would recommend just ordering it now, but if you just want the music there is a chance it will hit Apple Music/iTunes or Spotify at some point.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Well a demo download is obviously not a pre-sale ...

But I didn't really believe in that rumor anyway. And I'm going to buy it and I haven't pre-ordered it so surely there are a bunch of people in that boat.
The demo did wonders for word of mouth. I’m betting this will surpass VIIR sales, for real. It’ll one of the ps5 must haves. You can see how some people are desperate to create some outrage to bury this game but it won’t happen.