You know what I miss from the PS1/PS2 era? Insane Game variety

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
2023 on PS4 or PS5 the only "variety" you get is from Indies. But Indies don't count because their budgets are very small they can't make or compete with AAA games.

What I'm talking about though is not AAA games but A and AA games made with a good but not huge budget that are just fun and crazy and unique and different. The game variety on the PS2/PS1 era was so unique.

Want a sci fi horror game where you move your charecter with your voice? The Ps2 had that

Want a Star Wars bobblehead racing game? You got it randomly.

Want a Jungle platformer adventure game called Tak? You got it.

Want a game based on the Mummy movie or any movie or show? you got it.

Want a futuristic sim thats also a fighting game and experimental horror title? Sure.

Want a game where you play as a mosquitto? Say hello to Mister Mosquitto!

Like now its all BIG GAMES by BIG HUGE STUDIOS doing BIG GENRES only. really miss when you could go to a game store and there were 50 new games on the shelf from that month alone and half of them were actually kinda hidden gems.

This truly was the golden age of game diversity.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Absolutely. PS had some pretty strange games back then. You could find anything. In general, the gaming industry doesn't take as many risks now. Granted, a lot of those games back then were crap.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Absolutely. PS had some pretty strange games back then. You could find anything. In general, the gaming industry doesn't take as many risks now. Granted, a lot of those games back then were crap.

Back then most development studios were the size of indies today, just like 20 people made the spyro games and 33 made ratchet and clank. They did this in a year whereas indie studios now juat make boring generic 2d side scrollers.

I really miss 3d Platformers like Jak,Ratchet,Sly and Rayman.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
AA games are that space now. AAA games are too expensive and no one wants to take risks with them, other than maybe Kojima.

Take a look at a game like Inscryption. Amazing game, but only A/AA production value. Still it's much more memorable and enjoyable than 90% of AAAs.
Or Returnal. Top end of AA, low end of AAA. Amazing game, probably the most memorable PS5 exclusive up til now.
Cassette Beasts. Sifu. Slay the Princess. Cult of the Lamb. Cocoon. Dave the Diver. Ghost Trick Phantom Detective. Demeo. Rogue Legacy 2. Chernobylite. Stray. Powerwash Simulator. Hifi Rush. Slime Rancher 2. Oxygen Not Included. Everspace 2.

There's a bunch of very nice games that are constantly releasing that aren't big headliners that are interesting, varied, high quality.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Back then most development studios were the size of indies today, just like 20 people made the spyro games and 33 made ratchet and clank. They did this in a year whereas indie studios now juat make boring generic 2d side scrollers.

I really miss 3d Platformers like Jak,Ratchet,Sly and Rayman.

They should have teams this size in the west / Japan etc, testing out what would be fun and different... making the games with basic PS2 quality models and levels...

Then when they decide on the final form etc, it should engage support studios in cheaper countries to produce the art and assets that they need and bring it up to modern standards.

Not sure if it would work like I say but I think they could try.

Reactions: Diah and Box

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
They should have teams this size in the west / Japan etc, testing out what would be fun and different... making the games with basic PS2 quality models and levels...

Then when they decide on the final form etc, it should engage support studios in cheaper countries to produce the art and assets that they need and bring it up to modern standards.

"I didn't buy a PS5 to play games look like PS2 graphics"

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
2023 on PS4 or PS5 the only "variety" you get is from Indies. But Indies don't count because their budgets are very small they can't make or compete with AAA games.

What I'm talking about though is not AAA games but A and AA games made with a good but not huge budget that are just fun and crazy and unique and different. The game variety on the PS2/PS1 era was so unique.

Want a sci fi horror game where you move your charecter with your voice? The Ps2 had that

Want a Star Wars bobblehead racing game? You got it randomly.

Want a Jungle platformer adventure game called Tak? You got it.

Want a game based on the Mummy movie or any movie or show? you got it.

Want a futuristic sim thats also a fighting game and experimental horror title? Sure.

Want a game where you play as a mosquitto? Say hello to Mister Mosquitto!

Like now its all BIG GAMES by BIG HUGE STUDIOS doing BIG GENRES only. really miss when you could go to a game store and there were 50 new games on the shelf from that month alone and half of them were actually kinda hidden gems.

This truly was the golden age of game diversity.
A lot of the unique games ppl associate with ps1-ps2 weren’t PlayStation games. Those were 3rd prty or 2nd prty. Ppl go sony needs to make games like this again… why? Compared to today those games sold like carp. Look and Nintendo lots of unique games that struggle to break 1 or 2 million in sales with an install base of over 130 mil. If ppl want those type of games there are lots of Indy’s to play.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Agreed, I think the cure to "AAA generic risk-avoidance" is to have a game incubation division. You can field 5-10 indie-sized teams for the cost of a single AAA studio and just use those teams to do experimental games. Put them as bonus games on the base PS+ and use them to find the next big hitting formula - then your AAA studios can incorporate and iterate on the successful ideas. Otherwise you start stagnating.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
There’s more variety across the board but within specific genres there’s a feeling of stagnation and sameyness. Mostly due dev cycles and the growing ridiculousness of bloating player content demands.

A good example are arcade racers. They were booming and more in-style during the Ps2/Gc/xbx gen. FZERO, Burnout, Rallisport, PGR, in addition to Outrun, Sega gt, the eventual forza and gt. Now it’s just gran truisms and open world racers. I know there’s plenty of others … but the variety is bland. That shit does suck.

I did a lot of exploring trying to diversify my interests years ago and luckily I did stumble across souls-likes and online games I enjoy. Otherwise I would imagine I’d be disappointed in my options if I rested on my laurels and stuck to what I knew.

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
For those games a Steamdeck is more than sufficient and you don't need to invest in a PC.

why-not-both-why-not.gif

• Shake
Reactions: Snes nes