You know what I miss from the PS1/PS2 era? Insane Game variety

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
you can get one for like uh, around 500 US Dollars?

Surely GTX 1660ti would perform better than Deck APU
lmao even if you wanted to build a microatx/SFF pc with a gtx 1660ti it's less convenient than a literal handheld. Can you bring your gtx 1660ti with you on the toilet? Also I've already said before I don't recommend anyone building into pc gaming with less than midrange specs, that's $1000-1500.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
lmao even if you wanted to build a microatx/SFF pc with a gtx 1660ti it's less convenient than a literal handheld. Can you bring your gtx 1660ti with you on the toilet? Also I've already said before I don't recommend anyone building into pc gaming with less than midrange specs, that's $1000-1500.
I doubt you can pump a turd out if you hold that thing.

Where you gonna put it when you spray your ass? Bring that thing into the toilet is disgusting mate.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
i don't make the rules 🤷‍♂️

No way in hell.

Maybe the PSP, the 3DS, but no the Switch or the PC handhelds.

Those thing large form factor will put me off from sitting in a small corner.

Maybe you have the toilet and the bathroom at the same place?

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
What you gonna play in 5 min?

a FIFA match last 10 min. There is nothjng less than that.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
There's now way more variety than there was back then. Now in addition to indie games you have stuff like online gaming, VR, mobile games and so on.

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
Steamdeck is more convenient to play on for most indie-type games. There's no reason in spending $1000+ to get a PC just to play indies.

Theres more to PC gaming than just indies though

I wouldnt want to replace my main machine with a Steam Deck ever

Its a great piece of subsidary hardware or introduction to Steam however

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Theres more to PC gaming than just indies though

I wouldnt want to replace my main machine with a Steam Deck ever

Its a great piece of subsidary hardware or introduction to Steam however
The topic is specifically about game variety, the kind of variety that only modern indies display.

Reactions: teezzy

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
What I want out of games is just more along the lines of a classic video game like megaman or classic castlevania lol. I think if there were more of those kinds of games on the market then these highly acclaimed movie games out now would not be so popular.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
There's lots of games sure. But many genres lack variety, specially since the 7th generation.

You used to have lots of different racing games, football games, basketball, american football, snowboarding, character action... you name it.
There's more racing games now than ever before, you just have to look for them.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
The topic is specifically about game variety, the kind of variety that only modern indies display.

Modern indies only seem to focus on 2d 16bit games and occasionally another generic first person horror.

Rarely if ever do they make PSX/PS2 style 3d platformers. The closest thing we have is a hat in time and yooka laylee but does weren't very fun for me

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Modern indies only seem to focus on 2d 16bit games and occasionally another generic first person horror.

Rarely if ever do they make PSX/PS2 style 3d platformers. The closest thing we have is a hat in time and yooka laylee but does weren't very fun for me

I think it's all about timing. Folks that played PS1 games when as kids or teens are now in their 30s so you'll see more nostalgia for these kind of games.

Hell I just bought lunacid and lunistice which are 2 pretty great PS1/Saturn era like games.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I think it's all about timing. Folks that played PS1 games when as kids or teens are now in their 30s so you'll see more nostalgia for these kind of games.

Hell I just bought lunacid and lunistice which are 2 pretty great PS1/Saturn era like games.
More like in their 40s now.

Kids play PS1 games mostly born in the 80s.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Yeah a few years of difference give or take but the nostalgia for chiptunes and 8 bit graphics from guys that grew up with the NES is being phased out and replaced by devs that grew up with pentiums, PS1 Saturn and N64. Boomer shooters, low poly survival horror, CRPGs, early inmersive sims, pre rendered background tank controlled horror games and many more.

Looking forward for those games

Reactions: Box

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Yeah a few years of difference give or take but the nostalgia for chiptunes and 8 bit graphics from guys that grew up with the NES is being phased out and replaced by devs that grew up with pentiums, PS1 Saturn and N64. Boomer shooters, low poly survival horror, CRPGs, early inmersive sims, pre rendered background tank controlled horror games and many more.

Looking forward for those games
i think back then each platform gives unique experience too.

PS1: Namco arcade games, Square's turn base RPGs, fighting games

Nintendo 64: Platform games and golden eye.

PC: top down RPGs like Fallout, Diablo and Baldur Gates. Fast shooter like Doom, Quake.

Never have any Sega machines so not sure about that.

Nowsday only unique one is Nintendo. Other are just kinda samey.

Reactions: Box and Snes nes

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
For me the PS1 is the golden era of videogames. It had everything I loved and so many new franchises were born there.

Reactions: teezzy
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
For me the PS1 is the golden era of videogames. It had everything I loved and so many new franchises were born there.

For some weird reason Reddit, youtube and forums like resetera seem to have a love boner for N64 even though the PS1 had a much larger and better variety of games. I never understood why PS1 and 2 never got much nostalgia on the internet.

Reactions: Systemshock2023