Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom has reportedly leaked, 10 days before release

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
zelda-1280x723.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom has reportedly leaked, ten days ahead of its official release date.

On Monday, images and videos appearing to show the opening section of the game began being widely shared across social media sites and private discord channels.

Unsurprisingly, those looking to avoid story and gameplay spoilers before the title’s May 11 release date may wish to tread carefully on social media for the next two weeks.

Of particular concern to Nintendo will be that some of the shared media - claims to show the highly-anticipated Nintendo Switch sequel running via a PC emulator.

It’s not the first time a first-party Nintendo Switch game has leaked in this manner. Previously, Pokemon Legends: Arceus and Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl made it into public hands nearly two weeks before their releases.

In February, with the new Zelda still some three months away from release, someone posted images on Discord and Reddit claiming to show unreleased artwork from an upcoming book. Nintendo later applied for a subpoena to force Discord to reveal who leaked the images.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Such a shitty thing to do, to ruin a games story for people...for what? Some notoriety? Attention?

Reactions: Box

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
It would be nice to know if there’s dungeons tho.

I’m buying anyway.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Its annoying that I have to go around avoiding all this shit but oh well, we all knew it was going to happen (always does with Nintendo stuff.)

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
PC pirates are indeed playing this.

I hate to say… but I’m jealous. To know I’ll be playing it at sub 30fps with a Vaseline filter smeared over my screen.

Ugh I wish the switch wasn’t some shitty handheld

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I really don't get the talk around spoilers in Zelda, what could you even spoil in BoTW?

Having looked into things… all the cool shit the game has that should’ve been advertised.

• Surprised
Reactions: Nhomnhom

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It is truly mindboggling that Nintendo biggest game of the year leaked, and already runs in emulators.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It is truly mindboggling that Nintendo biggest game of the year leaked, and already runs in emulators.
The price they pay for having ridiculously underpopulated hardware. These emulators don't even require powerful GPUs, just a somewhat decent CPU and a passable GPU will get you to similar performance to what you get on the Switch or better.

What I find most impressive is how these emulators are so mature that a new game pretty much just works. Based on reddit comments it seems the problems people are encountering are some bugged textures and issues with Vsync, that was before any fix was made for the game.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Looks like I've been playing the wrong Zelda games, there was hardly any history in BoTW. I can't think how it's even possible to spoil BoTW.
What I can say...

For example Ganon... you can see how much all these years the magic he used to ressurseration started to corromp his inner self and just the dark/beast side is dominant now... so he doesn't have dialogues... the own fact it is Ganon the boss and not Ganondorf already is a BIG spoiler in Zelda games.
Link is a reincarnation that has basically no memory from the events of 1000 years ago.... here is better to give you a hint the story works better if you recover all memorys in order to understand past events that lead it to actual events... as it is a Open World where everything is opitional you can miss the story memories (all of them).
Zelda it is basically the main character here... you follow her struggle, her pain, her frustration, her resolve.... and it is magical how she says at the end "Do you remember me?" because depending of how you played the game your Link don't remember her at all so it is up to the player think if the Link he played remembered her or not.
Hyrule being Hyrule and not the New Hyrule is nother big spoilers in the game and mean that BotW doesn't follow the events after Ocarina of Time Adult Link timeline.

But again... you need to have played previous games to have better undestanding of the story after all it is a sequel 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
What I can say...

For example Ganon... you can see how much all these years the magic he used to ressurseration started to corromp his inner self and just the dark/beast side is dominant now... so he doesn't have dialogues... the own fact it is Ganon the boss and not Ganondorf already is a BIG spoiler in Zelda games.
Link is a reincarnation that has basically no memory from the events of 1000 years ago.... here is better to give you a hint the story works better if you recover all memorys in order to understand past events that lead it to actual events... as it is a Open World where everything is opitional you can miss the story memories (all of them).
Zelda it is basically the main character here... you follow her struggle, her pain, her frustration, her resolve.... and it is magical how she says at the end "Do you remember me?" because depending of how you played the game your Link don't remember her at all so it is up to the player think if the Link he played remembered her or not.
Hyrule being Hyrule and not the New Hyrule is nother big spoilers in the game and mean that BotW doesn't follow the events after Ocarina of Time Adult Link timeline.
I can't even pretend I care about any of that and recovering the memories was one of the best parts of BoTW but there was hardly any story there.

I'm not a big Zelda fan so my reference is BoTW and bits of multiple games. I thought that Zelda was like Final Fantasy where in most cases the story is not connected.

This game to me is going to be all about how good they can make the gameplay.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I can't even pretend I care about any of that and recovering the memories was one of the best parts of BoTW but there was hardly any story there.

I'm not a big Zelda fan so my reference is BoTW and bits of multiple games. I thought that Zelda was like Final Fantasy where in most cases the story is not connected.

This game to me is going to be all about how good they can make the gameplay.
That is fine.

BTW all Zelda are connected in a timeline.
Ocarina of Time for obvious reason (being the first time you beat the bad guy and focused in time powers) creates differents times paradox at the end and so there are games in both time lines created by Ocarina of Time.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom