343 Industries will continue to develop Halo

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
i'm just not seeing the fun in killing midget-sized enemies that barely fight back, cry, and then runs and flees for their lives. It's kinda messed up.

being removed from halo for so long, it was jarring to experience again. You'd think the game would hav evolved passed this shit since the early 2000's, but nope.

Game was trash.
I wonder if part of the Infinite problem is not that it’s a bad Halo, it’s that peoples tastes have evolved and there are so many more options today that are more appealing.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I wonder if part of the Infinite problem is not that it’s a bad Halo, it’s that peoples tastes have evolved and there are so many more options today that are more appealing.
definitely this, i mean case in point Destiny. All of the good parts about the original Halo trilogy are there, the mysterious sci-fi world, the dark atmospheric biomes, the sense of dread, all of it is in Destiny.

Destiny 2 really makes Halo Infinite look like amateur hour.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

i don't get it. these were the guys telling us the game was GOTY 2021, and giving it an 87 on metacritic.

funny how the truth comes out.
The problem is the lack of a working content pipeline. A game can be good, great even, and fail as a live service if the developer can't keep up a stream of new content and 343 has failed to do that.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023

i don't get it. these were the guys telling us the game was GOTY 2021, and giving it an 87 on metacritic.

funny how the truth comes out.
I mean the game has excellent gameplay and polish at launch. But that doesn't mean that post support was good and that it didn't have any other problems.

Many features that were promised by 343 never came to fruition or it took them forever to get them implemented and launch them like co-op. Splitscreen was forever promised and then denied, fans felt betrayed and lied too (as they should have) It was the constant promising and constant follow up of disappointment and lies that killed 343 reputation and made people lose interest in the game. Very poor handling and post management of the project. The review scores/metacritic had nothing to do with this.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I mean the game has excellent gameplay and polish at launch. But that doesn't mean that post support was good and that it didn't have any other problems.

Many features that were promised by 343 never came to fruition or it took them forever to get them implemented and launch them like co-op. Splitscreen was forever promised and then denied, fans felt betrayed and lied too (as they should have) It was the constant promising and constant follow up of disappointment and lies that killed 343 reputation and made people lose interest in the game. Very poor handling and post management of the project. The review scores/metacritic had nothing to do with this.
Halo gameplay hasn't felt excellent to me at all, actually although it may have innovative years ago it now feels stale and generic. I tried to get into the MP and felt I was playing a game from 1990.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Seems more like damage control than actually saying anything.

The reported plan is to use 343i as some type of supervisor while 3rd-parties team develop Halo… and I can believe it because it is more or like how they developed Halo Infinite… the game was heavy outsourced to external 3rd-parties.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Seems more like damage control than actually saying anything.

The reported plan is to use 343i as some type of supervisor while 3rd-parties team develop Halo… and I can believe it because it is more or like they developed Halo Infinite… the game was heavy outsourced to external 3rd-parties.

Their statement doesn’t refute any of that. It is indeed damage control.

Launching the BR will need all hands on deck. That will be far more difficult to sustain content with than what they’re doing with arena PvP. Certain Affinity isn’t large enough. So honestly, they don’t have the manpower to even work on campaign content. And especially after all this shake up.

They desperately need the Activision deal to go thru. Vicarious Visions and High Moon should indeed be put on Halo campaign duty. They worked with Bungie and they’re familiar with blam! … just need to get them off and scrap that CoD pve game.

Reactions: ethomaz
D

Deleted member 417

What are they going to develop it into? It needs a reset

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Unfocused leadership is bad leadership.

They honestly need a creative tyrant to save this series. Someone with a clear focus that will push the team and squeeze their souls into the game.

Passion is painful. Maybe MS’s posturing for safe space workplaces is actually garbage and hurting the creative process. I’m betting it does.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
What are they going to develop it into? It needs a reset
As someone who played Halo since the OG Xbox, to be fair I have no clue. Halo is in a very awkard position now. I felt that Halo Infinite was pretty much the reset that was handled very poorly ppst launch. It went to the old school visual art-style and level design which I thought was nice, but that was it.

For one, the game needs a different engine. Either UE5 or something else.
For two I never finished the campaign in Halo Infinite, I only played it for multiplayer so I have no clue where the story would go.

For three, I would just reboot the entire franchise if it was me story wise. Halo Infinite was confirmed to be basically Halo 6 because it follows the events after Halo 5 Guardians.

As far as gameplay goes I would be very ballsy and go the Mass Effect route but in first person.

Imagine a living breathing Halo world with your own squad mates. Some part of the human race and others from the covenant to help you on your mission. You would traverse different parts of the planet. You could have interesting dialogue and so on. Deeper background lore, cool side missions for a variety of characters.

The gunplay would still be classic Halo of course and the level design would be a mixture of both open wide spaces where you use vehicles to traverse and your typical interior corridors.

Multiplayer probably would just be same, no rpg elements or anything as I think that would kind of weird for a competitive shooter. So I am strictly talking the reboot here. Honestly, I think Halo should have a separate entity completely for single player and a different package for multiplayer. I feel like that's the route they're going to be going. Multiplayer always free, but campaign is a purchase.

Just my few ideas.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Deleted member 417
D

Deleted member 417

As someone who played Halo since the OG Xbox, to be fair I have no clue. Halo is in a very awkard position now. I felt that Halo Infinite was pretty much the reset that was handled very poorly ppst launch. It went to the old school visual art-style and level design which I thought was nice, but that was it.

For one, the game needs a different engine. Either UE5 or something else.
For two I never finished the campaign in Halo Infinite, I only played it for multiplayer so I have no clue where the story would go.

For three, I would just reboot the entire franchise if it was me story wise. Halo Infinite was confirmed to be basically Halo 6 because it follows the events after Halo 5 Guardians.

As far as gameplay goes I would be very ballsy and go the Mass Effect route but in first person.

Imagine a living breathing Halo world with your own squad mates. Some part of the human race and others from the covenant to help you on your mission. You would traverse different parts of the planet. You could have interesting dialogue and so on. Deeper background lore, cool side missions for a variety of characters.

The gunplay would still be classic Halo of course and the level design would be a mixture of both open wide spaces where you use vehicles to traverse and your typical interior corridors.

Multiplayer probably would just be same, no rpg elements or anything as I think that would kind of weird for a competitive shooter. So I am strictly talking the reboot here. Honestly, I think Halo should have a separate entity completely for single player and a different package for multiplayer. I feel like that's the route they're going to be going. Multiplayer always free, but campaign is a purchase.

Just my few ideas.
I played OG Halo and it blew me away. 2 was good and 3 was fantastic. Being able to have 4 people in some of the set pieces running on the ground, in tanks or in the air was amazing. I played Halo 4 and didn;t get far. The charm was gone

Maybe they reboot it without MC? make it a battlefield style game focusing on being in the trenches during the war between humans and aliens. Maybe chuck some flood levels in?

Who knows. They (microsoft) need to either go back to the drawing board or start pumping out new IPs, like new new, not reskins of existing games

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The problem is the lack of a working content pipeline. A game can be good, great even, and fail as a live service if the developer can't keep up a stream of new content and 343 has failed to do that.
343 had almost a decade to learn the tool chain, so that’s not a great excuse, even with the Halo tool chain and engine being infamously terrible to work with for asset generation.

Maybe if they hadn’t felt the need to redesign the things that shouldn’t have changed between games, like the spartan armor and enemy types that have been around since Halo 1, they could have sidestepped the problems somewhat.

Then again, when your toolchain makes it take four to six months to build an asset, compared to a week or two for most other engines, you may just be beyond help if you stick with that engine.

Changing things that the hardcore fanbase doesn’t want changed and that non-fans won’t even notice changes to is just a massive waste of resources.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
I played OG Halo and it blew me away. 2 was good and 3 was fantastic. Being able to have 4 people in some of the set pieces running on the ground, in tanks or in the air was amazing. I played Halo 4 and didn;t get far. The charm was gone

Maybe they reboot it without MC? make it a battlefield style game focusing on being in the trenches during the war between humans and aliens. Maybe chuck some flood levels in?

Who knows. They (microsoft) need to either go back to the drawing board or start pumping out new IPs, like new new, not reskins of existing games
Rebooting Halo without MC would be as bad as Sony Santa Monics rebooting God of War without Kratos or Nintendo rebooting Zelda without Link. So 100% need to keep the Master Chief.

Not reskins of different games? I mean Nintendo has been riding the Zelds and Mario games since their inception and it works for them. Just like how Sony been riding the God of War and Ratchet and Clank for a while now. There is nothing wrong with keep making new games with classical characters. It's part of the branding, marketing and the identity. Xbox was built on Halo, Xbox was THE console for FPS games.

Halo is def not as good as it used to be.

God of War is better than ever

Ratchet and Clank is same as it was before just better visually looking and is a platformer which now are rare to come by. I am glad Sony still makes them.

Uncharted is on a break, but I believe it's coming back soon.

Zelda is about to get another banger in May

New Tomb Raider is coming soon as well and is further in development than most people realize.

Coalition is working in the next big Gears game.

My point is, people will always want old school IPs.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
343 had almost a decade to learn the tool chain, so that’s not a great excuse, even with the Halo tool chain and engine being infamously terrible to work with for asset generation.

Maybe if they hadn’t felt the need to redesign the things that shouldn’t have changed between games, like the spartan armor and enemy types that have been around since Halo 1, they could have sidestepped the problems somewhat.

Then again, when your toolchain makes it take four to six months to build an asset, compared to a week or two for most other engines, you may just be beyond help if you stick with that engine.

That should’ve been solved when they reworked it into slipspace. They already knew Bungie had gone thru that pain for 5 years before moving d2 to a “new” engine when they gutted all the Activision content.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
That should’ve been solved when they reworked it into slipspace. They already knew Bungie had gone thru that pain for 5 years before moving d2 to a “new” engine when they gutted all the Activision content.
Slipspace was as much of a “brand new” engine as the engine used for Fallout 4 was, nothing more than a renamed branch of the same old shit at the core.

Last edited:

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
A lot of engines are like that. It’s that devs responsibility to evolve it, gut it, rewrite it over and over again.

Hell, is BotW still the TWW engine? I imagine it is…

Reactions: Deleted member 417

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
What do you thinks about a Halo: Combat Evolved Remake?
Not the remastered option you have now in several platforms but a true remake.

I believe it is the time.

Reactions: Elder Legend

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

If you want Halo dead and buried forevermore, absolutely!

MS doesn't have anyone with the talent and vision to do anything that would succeed in reviving Halo.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023

I do not think its necessary. The MCC treatment is enough. Reboot of the entire franchise though from scratch probably would be the better option with a fresh story. People already have played Halo: CE so many times across various platforms and visual formats that its irrelevant at this point. And if they did do decide to do a remake then they would just get blasted for being lazy for not coming up with something brand new from scratch and are out of ideas.