343 is Dead - Halo SP Devolopment Ended - What's Next?

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I just don’t understand this concept of a middle management dev studio. What’s it’s purpose?

Give the ip to a deserving studio and let them at it. Why bog shit down with an added layer like this.

It doesn’t make sense Jerry!
courtesy to some of the higher ups in the company is my guess.

Kind of like letting Bonnie ross leave with her dignity and repuatation intact on the family medical issue excuse.

Reactions: Shmunter
OP
OP
Elder Legend

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
I just don’t understand this concept of a middle management dev studio. What’s it’s purpose?

Give the ip to a deserving studio and let them at it. Why bog shit down with an added layer like this.

It doesn’t make sense Jerry!
I mean doesn't Sony has like several studios that help out other studios with engines? Ice team or whatever? I might be misremembering here, but I believe that Sony has a studio dedicated to helping others when it comes to the technical aspects of their hardware. Not sure if that is the same thing as middle management though. I probably sound dumb right now.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I mean doesn't Sony has like several studios that help out other studios with engines? Ice team or whatever? I might be misremembering here, but I believe that Sony has a studio dedicated to helping others when it comes to the technical aspects of their hardware. Not sure if that is the same thing as middle management though. I probably sound dumb right now.
They have support studios like Valkyrie and Malaysia studio that do things like 3d modeling and level building work, but they haven't yet had a situation where a full blown regular dev studio was reduced to support studio status. Though if you believe the rumors, that almost happened to Sony Bend but they are being given one last chance with their next title.

ICe team isn't a dev, it's a small team inside Naughty Dog that I think was initially formed during the PS3 era to help first party devs get the most out of the ps3 hardware and do the same for their later consoles these days.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They have support studios like Valkyrie and Malaysia studio that do things like 3d modeling and level building work, but they haven't yet had a situation where a full blown regular dev studio was reduced to support studio status. Though if you believe the rumors, that almost happened to Sony Bend but they are being given one last chance with their next title.

ICe team isn't a dev, it's a small team inside Naughty Dog that I think was initially formed during the PS3 era to help first party devs get the most out of the ps3 hardware and do the same for their later consoles these days.
Also Sony Visual Arts group tried to take on a full fledged project for themselves in Last of Us Part 1 but they got demoted again when they ran overbudget and weren't hitting deadlines, the naughty dog b team had to come in and take over the project.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
I'm losing track of the devs in disarray at Microsoft

343 - complete restructure and lay offs. Halo Infinite one of the biggest failures in modern gaming history. Now going to just be a support studio

The Coalition - layoffs as well. Gears 5 was a critical and commercial disaster. Probably going to just be a tech support studio now

Bethesda - layoffs and constant delays (probably haven't figured out how to monetise Starfield)

Playground - rumoured to have made little progress and having to scale back Fable

The Initiative - completely fell apart after going on a talent poaching spree. Then everyone abandoned ship and they've had to outsource all development on Perfect Dark

Ninja Theory - pretty much quiet since 2019 nothing but a gameplay free cutscene shown

Turn10 - wet fart of a reveal, might end up good but nobody cares about mainline Forza anymore

Rare - started developing a game without even knowing what it was. All rumours about Everwild has been its a mess and many years away

And I'd bet my bottom dollar it'll be 19 years before DoubleFine come up with another game

• fire
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I just don't understand how they can get things so wrong over there, there must be some real levels of incompetence going on behind the scenes.

Reactions: Hezekiah

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
So ten years was more like one year.

The development and post-launch support has been one of the biggest shit-shows in modern gaming.

• fire

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Bigger disaster than either Avengers or Anthem. IMO Halo Infinite is the biggest industry flop since Atari’s ET.

You guys are missing out on the pathetic case of denial Dynamite Cop is dealing with right now. I’ve been witnessing it… hilarious

• fire

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
So ten years was more like one year.

The development and post-launch support has been one of the biggest shit-shows in modern gaming.
It was 10 dog years. Thank fuck it's free as if the masses paid full price for it there would have been a larger backlash. Gamepass cushioned that backlash. A new studio is needed, and forcing a Bethesda studio to do it may cause resentment with that studio. It's a delicate issue to put forward and a new studio with experienced staff in other internal studios would be the best option

Reactions: Hezekiah

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Whats sad is that developers at 343 are very talented, but poor guidance and direction will lead you to pitfall no matter the talent and passion.
They will find other jobs, layoffs are unsettling at first (I went through one)... But pretty much everyone gets back on their feet and move on.

However, right now the whole tech industry is going through layoffs like we have not seen since the tech bubble back in the late 90s (which is when I started). So it might not be everyone that comes back in the same field in a different company.

Also, as a studio they have failed harder and harder at Halo since they were formed, so it's probably for the best that they get disbanded. Not all are top talent for sure, otherwise their last game would not have turned the way it did.

343 - complete restructure and lay offs. Halo Infinite one of the biggest failures in modern gaming history. Now going to just be a support studio
Well, it was 2021 GoTY for a lot of "people", YouTube was on fire, etc. And it allowed us to see to what degree the industry press/influencers were all corrupt to the core. So this is a pretty good success in the end.

2 Jul 2022
NY
www.twitch.tv
Dead isn’t accurate if this rumor is true. It’s that they’re just not going to actively develop Halo. They will instead oversee the franchise. There are multiple Halo projects in development. Dead would mean closed.

Reactions: Bryank75

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Dead isn’t accurate if this rumor is true. It’s that they’re just not going to actively develop Halo. They will instead oversee the franchise. There are multiple Halo projects in development. Dead would mean closed.
Let's say that the last one out at the end of the project will shut the lights off.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
They’re no longer an active development studio. They’re dead as a creative force or game studio. They’re just producers of the IP now. That’s pretty much a dead studio to me. They won’t be employing your next favorite game designer.

What’ll be messed up that with 70 billion spent to acquire Bethesda and Activision and a slew of other studios over the last decade — they’ll still have to contract Halo out to third party contractors.

Just sell Halo to Sony. You can keep CoD :ROFLMAO:

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Bigger disaster than either Avengers or Anthem. IMO Halo Infinite is the biggest industry flop since Atari’s ET.

You guys are missing out on the pathetic case of denial Dynamite Cop is dealing with right now. I’ve been witnessing it… hilarious

Do tell.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022

LOL. Just unban him. It’s fun to watch the squirming. He’s claiming it’s all fake rumors like always. Even tho no one has refuted any of it and what we are getting is statements that further corroborates what we’re hearing … :ROFLMAO:

BloodMod

Fear the Old Blood
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
LOL. Just unban him. It’s fun to watch the squirming. He’s claiming it’s all fake rumors like always. Even tho no one has refuted any of it and what we are getting is statements that further corroborates what we’re hearing … :ROFLMAO:
Season 6 No GIF by Friends

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is cute.

• party