90% of PlayStation’s Released Live Service Projects Either Failed Or Were Canceled. Is it time for PlayStation to go back and focus on single-player?

Do you think PlayStaiton should keep trying to invest on GaaS?

• Yes

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • They should keep doing both.

Votes: 18 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Destruction All
images

Will PlayStation rethink their strategy with Games as a Service after the success of Black Myth Wukong, Astro Bot and the absolute failure of Concord?

Of all 14 of 15 GaaS projects greenlit by Jim Ryan, all but a single one has failed.
  • Helldivers 2 – Succeeded
  • Concord – Failed
  • Last of Us 2 Multiplayer – Canceled
  • Payback From Bungie – Canceled
  • Twisted Metal – Canceled
  • New IP From Deviation Games – Canceled
  • New IP From London Studio – Canceled
  • Spider-Man: The Great Web – Canceled (Only Pitched)

The current GaaS titles in the works by PS Studios are
  • Marathon
  • Fairgame$
  • New IP From Bend Studio
  • Horizon multiplayer
  • Horizon MMO

PlayStation also have an exclusive dean on Foamstars (currently on life support) and Destructino All Starts (Cancelled).

Do you think PlayStation will change it's strategy back to what they are used to, that being High Quality single player games?
Destruction All Stars also was GaaS. Failed, you can add to the list.

Reactions: SSfox

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The problem is that most of PS’s big AAA titles from studios like ND, SSM, Insomniac, and Guerilla are costing too much. And PS titles don’t sell 30/40+ million like Rockstar and Nintendo to mostly make up for that. Sony needs to find a GAAS hit, to offset those rising AAA cost. If Sony doesn’t find that GAAS hit. The. It’s possible that they will downscale most of their AAA SP games, and I’m not sure most PS fans will like that.
Oh, FUD got to you. I see phil and his shills doing their job.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm not a friend of GaaS, but PlayStation's strength has always been diversity, so definitely both type of games are important.

But currently it seems like SP games, the type of games they excel at, have taken a secondary role. And that's the reason you see so much negativity towards GaaS.

A game like Astro, as excellent as it is (I think, haven't played it yet), would have been a gap filler between major releases in the past. Now it came more than a year after Spider-Man 2, the last major SP release, which itself came out in a year where it was the ONLY major release.
Less than a year after Spider-Man 2.
And between it you got others SP exclusives.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I get it but we don't know how many single player games started development and we're cancelled down the line.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Dude says “released” in title yet lists games cancelled at who knows what stage of development. Ummm…. What?

Like that’s a load of nonsense. Games get cancelled all the time you never hear about. There’s plenty of ideas and often shit ones.

The batting average with actual released games is better than you think? Helldivers, GT7, MLB and Destiny w/ just one Concord.

To be fair tho… Concord is the biggest flop in PlayStation history.

Last edited:

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Oh, FUD got to you. I see phil and his shills doing their job.
What are you talking about? I’m talking about AAA development cost rising and taking longer to release. Shawn Layden talked about this same issue. He said that his worry is that AAA development is becoming more expensive, and taking much longer.

Reactions: Diah

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not from PS studios....
It does even matter?

Most PS exclusives were not PS Studios…
Crash, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, GTA, Tekken, GTA, FF, etc etc etc.

That is how Sony had always 3-4 exclusive per year. PS exclusives for PS5 is spaced very similar to PS4.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
It does even matter?

Most PS exclusives were not PS Studios…
Crash, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, GTA, Tekken, GTA, FF, etc etc etc.

That is how Sony had always 3-4 exclusive per year. PS exclusives for PS5 is spaced very similar to PS4.
It does if the thread is about PlayStation and their games....

And no, in the recent past PS studios produced more games, both AA and AAA.

Reactions: Johnic and Diah

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
What are you talking about? I’m talking about AAA development cost rising and taking longer to release. Shawn Layden talked about this same issue. He said that his worry is that AAA development is becoming more expensive, and taking much longer.
What he means is you got played into xbox astroturfers playbook ( narratives about making top single player isnt feasible anymore)

All these nonsense while just last year baldurs gate 3 won hundreds of award and profits and their games doesnt cost that much

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It does if the thread is about PlayStation and their games....

And no, in the recent past PS studios produced more games, both AA and AAA.
Which recent past?

You know Spider-man 1 was not developed by a PS Studio for example... Insomniac only become PS Studio in 2019.
That includes all R&C prior to 2019.
Resistance games.
Spyro.
Disruptor (man I love this game).

Most AA praised PS games where not PS Studio either... Flower, Flow, Journey, Resogun, Returnal, Dead Nation, Super Stardust, etc.
Most big hits of PS were not PS Studio... it was 3rd-party studios.

Edit.

Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Death Stranding, etc were not PS Studio either.
Infamous (first game), all Sly Cooper games, Crash, etc where not PS Studio.

Last edited:

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
They should keep doing both - I mean they almost had fire in a botttle with Helldivers 2 - BUT I also want them to skew their effort to be more toward SP and Console. I know - dreams, right?!?

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Which recent past?

You know Spider-man 1 was not developed by a PS Studio for example... Insomniac only become PS Studio in 2019.
That includes all R&C prior to 2019.
Resistance games.
Spyro.
Disruptor (man I love this game).

Most AA praised PS games where not PS Studio either... Flower, Flow, Journey, Resogun, Returnal, Dead Nation, Super Stardust, etc.
Most big hits of PS were not PS Studio... it was 3rd-party studios.

Edit.

Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Death Stranding, etc were not PS Studio either.
Infamous (first game), all Sly Cooper games, Crash, etc where not PS Studio.
Youre on crack or something?

Those are all ps studio games

Yeah you lump third party death stranding and crash are now activision property but the rest is true

Then what games does playstation studio produce?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Youre on crack or something?

Those are all ps studio games

Then what games does playstation studio produce?
Not developed by PS Studios 🤷‍♂️

You need to set a goal and not move it...
You said Spider-man 2 is a year old... it is not.
I said there are games between Spider-man 2 and Astro Bot Sony had others games...
I said the number of PS exclusives are the usual...
You said they don't count because where not developed by PS Studios (even the argument being weak because Sony shine in games due the exclusives each few months) I followed your move...
I said a lot of games you take as PS Studio are not developed by PS Studios.
Now you back to PS Studio published games... not developed only.

Well that includes games like Stellar Blade that you denies before, no?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Best selling games this year is a single player game black myth wukong making 18 million copies in just 3 weeks but keep yaping on live service games
And yet, no one actually think the GAAS trend is in any real danger.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
And yet, no one actually think the GAAS trend is in any real danger.
Youre free to play all those shity live service games any time you want

Il stick with single player games like gow ragnarok, baldurs gate 3, final fantasy, spiderman, zelda tears of kingdom, red dead redemption 2, astrobot, black myth wukong, upcoming GTA6 etc

Reactions: Umar and Diah