90% of PlayStation’s Released Live Service Projects Either Failed Or Were Canceled. Is it time for PlayStation to go back and focus on single-player?

Do you think PlayStaiton should keep trying to invest on GaaS?

• Yes

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • They should keep doing both.

Votes: 18 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
No its not lol. MP games with added content has been around for ages.
More FUD
People said the same exact thing about 3D. It existed far before the mid 1990s.

GAAS is now around 60% of the market.

It became 60% of the market while operating at a sever developer & resource disadvantage the entire time.

This industry honed and funded single player games far longer, with far more resources since the 1970s.

Only in the last 5 years has the developer and resource advantage gone to GAAS. 2025 will be a massive year for GAAS.

The paradigm shift can no longer be ignored.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Those are attached to Sony yes. But those aren't Sony games, they can lose all those in one night if they fuck off, like it almost happened during ps360 era

All Nintendo has to do is make new console with affordable price that can run all those games well and Sony is in big danger.

You will have all those games on both PS6 and next Nintendo console, You will have a 1000$ PS6 with no exclusives because moron Sony already ported everything to PC, and a 350$ Nintendo console with true exclusives plus those 3rd party. Of course it will not look as good as in ps6, but I'll tell you people won't care specially because of price difference.

Who do you think will sell best ? I let you guess.
Are you supposing PS6 won't sell and next Nintendo console will?

Bold claim... PS6 will probably sell like a PS console.
Next Nintendo console is a hit of miss as always... nobody can predict.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You're all missing the bigger picture here.

GAAS is to AAA what 3D was to 2D.

We experienced a paradigm shift in the early to mid 1990s going from 2D to 3D.

We're experiencing another paradigm shift going from AAA (sp) to GAAS (mp).

This is an evolve or die event. PlayStation, and everyone else, needs to get this right or face extinction. There's quite literally no going backwards.
I think it will continue like it is... MP and SP living together.
I mean GAAS is not something new.

What it can't happen (and that is not even PlayStation goal) is to have just a type of game.
Diversity is what makes PlayStation king.

People forgot but PlayStation launched several GAAS games on PS4 and PS3.
And probably didn't happen with PS1 and PS2 because the access to internet was very limited or even lacking (PS1 case).

Reactions: Men_in_Boxes

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
Are you supposing PS6 won't sell and next Nintendo console will?

Bold claim... PS6 will probably sell like a PS console.
Next Nintendo console is a hit of miss as always... nobody can predict.

I'm saying if Sony will keep going this route of increasing console price and devaluing their brand by releasing their exclusives on PC, PS6 may struggle a lot to sell

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm saying if Sony will keep going this route of increasing console price and devaluing their brand by releasing their exclusives on PC, PS6 may struggle a lot to sell
I got it now...

It is hard to say because we don't know what most players things... I mean the big part of it that are not gaming social or forum talkers... you can call them casual.
For me nothing that happens related to PC will change my PS5 purchase because I'm a console gamer.

Now the next Nintendo device for now I want to buy one after miss the Switch generation but that only the reveal / launch will say if I will indeed buy it.

Reactions: Shmunter

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I think it will continue like it is... MP and SP living together.
They will live together like 3D and 2D "live together" though probably not to the same degree. I do think the SP market is bigger than the 2D market.

I mean GAAS is not something new.
3D wasn't "new" in 1993 either. A sea change or paradigm shift requires more than just newness to happen.

GAAS is new relative to the industry. Heck, Destiny brought GAAS to consoles about 10 years ago. If you take into account how the length of iteration has slowed since the 1970s...GAAS is unbelievably new.
What it can't happen (and that is not even PlayStation goal) is to have just a type of game.
Diversity is what makes PlayStation king.
Diversity has jumped on single games though. Picture the genre variety in the late 90s and notice how successful games started combining different genres over the years as technology developed.

GAAS has become the highest beneficiary of variety.
People forgot but PlayStation launched several GAAS games on PS4 and PS3.
And probably didn't happen with PS1 and PS2 because the access to internet was very limited or even lacking (PS1 case).
Bingo.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
According to Sony and IDG last year PC and console mobile (the majority of the market, mostly GaaS) continues to grow while PC and console (markets where GaaS is dominant but as more more non-GaaS titles than mobile) remain somewhat flat.

Inside console, add-ons (so mostly GaaS) revenue keep growing and eating revenue from game sales (most top sellers are also GaaS). As GaaS, F2P and game subs keep growing on console, game sales decrease:

image.png

image.png

More recently, this year Sony mentioned that over half of the PSN store revenue comes from the top GaaS titles (maybe only the top 10):
image.png

Meaning, GaaS is dominating the market when looking at all platforms, when looking at consoles, or when looking at PS only. And their market share keeps growing at the expense of the non-GaaS games.

But if you look at the Sony SP non-GaaS titles, in most cases the most recent title of each studio (or almost) has been their best selling / fastest selling game ever:
  • Japan Studio / Team Asobi: Astro Bot
  • Arrowhead: Helldivers 2 (can be played as SP game even if mainly MP)
  • MLB: the recent GaaS ones were mentioned to be way more successful than the previous ones, without mentioning details
  • Insomniac: Spider-Man 2
  • SSM: GoWR
  • Bluepoint: GoWR
  • Polyphony: GT7 (wasn't clear if the fastest selling of the series, but now also as the extra revenue from GaaS)
  • Guerrilla: HFW was selling like their record game HZD until got included in PS+ too early as a test
  • Housemarque: Returnal
  • ND: TLOU2
  • Bend: Days Gone
  • Kojipro / Kojima: Death Stranding
So yes, in case of Sony SP own games they are selling better than ever (even more if you also count their late PC port), even if as a whole seems that non-GaaS SP game sales -or at least revenue- is decreasing. The problem is the improvement these SP games got in revenue/sales isn't as big -at all- than the increase in budget they need every generation (+ inflation).
Least we forget, a platform holder gets a 30% of all those 3rd party gass sales. Risk free, inventment free. Keeping users on the platform is critical to benefit.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko and arvfab

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Least we forget, a platform holder gets a 30% of all those 3rd party gass sales. Risk free, inventment free. Keeping users on the platform is critical to benefit.
Its crucial for sure.
More important than selling an extra few million on another platform

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes, Sony gets 30% of the revenue of all the game sales, passes, IAP etc of all 3rd party games including GaaS.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Lest you forget, a platform holder gets 30% of ALL 3rd party sales. It's not exclusive to GAAS.

Then you have to consider all the advantages GAAS has over the old style games (stickiness, revenue, profits, growth).

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Lest you forget, a platform holder gets 30% of ALL 3rd party sales. It's not exclusive to GAAS.

Then you have to consider all the advantages GAAS has over the old style games (stickiness, revenue, profits, growth).

All to the benefit of a platform holder. People go into the platform because it offers unique things. People arnt choosing a PS because it has Fortnite - they can play that shit anywhere. They choose the platform for PS content, and then they play sticky Fortnite there and Sony $profits.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko and Diah

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
All to the benefit of a platform holder. People go into the platform because it offers unique things. People arnt choosing a PS because it has Fortnite - they can play that shit anywhere. They choose the platform for PS content, and then they play sticky Fortnite there and Sony $profits.
You can watch an NFL football game anywhere. That doesn't mean companies don't make nice TVs.

PlayStation has more benefits than just it's games. We all know this.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Oh boy. 13 bucks. Did Disney Wars just tank Ubisoft?

I hope these pubs are learning their lesson. Outside of spider-man… braindead capeshit and Disney Wars tumblr-tier fan fiction is still a bust in the gaming sector. Thank you gamers for protecting the industry from the same kind of garbage that destroyed film.

Ummm… pretty bad situation and something will be done. (Sony should buy for Rainbow Six and Asscreed alone)

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Wrong post - was supposed to be a another topic but I swear the quick reply function is borked

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That doom & gloom narrative you guys keep spamming doesn't make sense at all and the factual data says that it's totally wrong: PS consoles active userbase and engagement is in all time high and with around half of the PS5 userbase being new players.

To grow to PC doesn't devaluate its brand, the opposite: allows them to reach to many millions of new people who discover how good their games are by playing these PC ports, and part of them later ends buying a console. On top of that the PC business is very profitable for them and they can use that money (which keeps growing a lot year after year) to help fund their games.

You guys should understand that without GaaS and PC (and in the future mobile) in the long term Sony would need to make less game and less big. And particularly the AAA SP non-GaaS titles because the percentage of game revenue that they represent keep decreasing year over year, which means that in the long term will be way smaller than now, while at the same time the budget they'll need for each keep growing and growing.

• haha
Reactions: Gediminas

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
That doom & gloom narrative you guys keep spamming doesn't make sense at all and the factual data says that it's totally wrong: PS consoles active userbase and engagement is in all time high and with around half of the PS5 userbase being new players.

To grow to PC doesn't devaluate its brand, the opposite: allows them to reach to many millions of new people who discover how good their games are by playing these PC ports, and part of them later ends buying a console. On top of that the PC business is very profitable for them and they can use that money (which keeps growing a lot year after year) to help fund their games.

You guys should understand that without GaaS and PC (and in the future mobile) in the long term Sony would need to make less game and less big. And particularly the AAA SP non-GaaS titles because the percentage of game revenue that they represent keep decreasing year over year, which means that in the long term will be way smaller than now, while at the same time the budget they'll need for each keep growing and growing.
Sony needs to be very careful of pc. If by some hook or by crook they make pc a cozy big screen tv experience - (easier said than done), but murmurs in that direction are abound, and steamdeck seems to prove viability to a decent degree.

If that happens, PS all of a sudden has tv space competition. And that competition comes with no online fees and a digital store market that is open to competition and pricing like we currently get with retail discs. Sony pivoting to a digital sku first further takes PS down a rabbit hole of less relevance.

See how it plays out.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: SSfox and Bryank75