A note to all members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Lately, we have received several reports of people complaining about political discourse on these forums.

These discussions have been getting rather heated, with both sides throwing many personal insults around in the discussion. On the left side, Terms like Racist, far right, bigot, and nazi; are being used all the time. At the same time, we have people dog piling on the left, calling people SJWs and Baby Inc. sympathisers. etc etc.

We really want to try to keep lines of communication open between people. We can not stress this enough, but this back-and-forth arguing is not good for anyone.

People must try to be more tolerant of how they label others that they do not disagree with. If you have a problem with someone's opinion and can not control in how you reply, ie personal attacks, then please put that person on ignore.

If there are genuine forms of Hate speech going around, i.e. (racist remarks, homophobic slurs, etc..), then make a report and message the mods. We will not tolerate any of that rubbish here.

Saying all that, if this constant type of labelling continues, we will be forced to shut down all discussions on these matters, which, in my opinion, would be a terrible shame.

There is already so much censorship these days from places like Ree; we don't want to be like that place.

I am asking people to please try to dial it back.

This thread is not a grievance thread; please do not turn it into one.

Thank you for listening.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
What are the agreeable middle-ground consensus' of the discussion(s)? Say for example, does everyone involved think Sweet Baby is an extortion racket?

Weather the Chinese dev's account is true or overblown, I think Sweet Baby's boss is basically described their process as such?

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Imagine messaging strangers on the internet because words you thought you read hurt your feelings.
By the time you've read it to report it, you've already read it.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

How would the yewf and normies of today have survived on the wild wild web of the late 90s?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Imagine messaging strangers on the internet because words you thought you read hurt your feelings.
By the time you've read it to report it, you've already read it.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

How would the yewf and normies of today have survived on the wild wild web of the late 90s?
Early WebTV, AOL "feature suite" walled garden, and Yahoo Clubs/Groups?

Reactions: xollowsob

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
What are the agreeable middle-ground consensus' of the discussion(s)? Say for example, does everyone involved think Sweet Baby is an extortion racket?

Weather the Chinese dev's account is true or overblown, I think Sweet Baby's boss is basically described their process as such?
Personally I feel like as long as people can act like adults discussing a topic it should be fine... the problem comes from people having a meltdown and starting to call names and accuse people/lump people in with groups ("nazis", "commies", etc) because they can't control their emotions. I've certainly let my emotions get ahold of me and gotten warned for it but I always try to pull back when I realize that I'm getting heated. I think that level of leeway is why we sometimes can talk around the political stuff without it getting it shut down right away, because people are able to engage in it without getting personal. But yeah I agree people, myself included, should be more careful on these hot-button topics. At the end of the day screaming at each other online solves nothing, even if you are absolutely sure someone else is a racist nazi or a dress-wearing mentally ill fake trans or whatever.

That said the SBI stuff is an interesting discussion since it affects so much of modern gaming that it's bound to come up. I think the most important thing is to be objective and stick to facts. It's very easy to start seeing your enemy in everything and thus call every "woke" thing in gaming a result of SBI, when in reality most western devs have that kind of ideology as well, and would probably try these things SBI or not. It's also hard not to make it personal when we have so many outsized personalities that make themselves into lightning rods because they are attention whores. We've gone so far past the "don't feed the trolls" phase of online discourse, and it feels like people develop parasocial relationships and try to emulate the social media personalities they agree with.

All I can say is society is cooked lmao

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
On the left side, Terms like Racist, far right, bigot, and nazi; are being used all the time. At the same time, we have people dog piling on the left, calling people SJWs and Baby Inc. sympathisers.

I took no part in either of this name calling so I don't think the hat fits me, but how is the graveness of the insults on the left side even remotely similar to the ones on the right?

I was called directly a "racist clown" by a user whom I hadn't even interacted with, completely unprovoked. That was literally the whole content of that user's post.
A quick look at that user's history showed they had started the exact same strategy of throwing the same unprovoked insults a bunch of times within the past few days alone. Some of these even lead to back-and-forths where the users on the other side got banned, while this specific user still roams around to start fights out of nowhere.

And it's always the same crap, they start unprovoked harassment in the hopes of getting heated responses. And this isn't even activism. Anyone who's been around forums for a while will know this is pure flamebait and trolling.

I really don't get how this recurrent behavior can be positive to the forum. Reasonable people won't like being called a "racist clown" out of nowhere every other day, and the end result here is this forum gradually turning into a tiny circlejerk of these 2 or 3 users insulting everyone.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I took no part in either of this name calling so I don't think the hat fits me, but how is the graveness of the insults on the left side even remotely similar to the ones on the right?

I was called directly a "racist clown" by a user whom I hadn't even interacted with, completely unprovoked. That was literally the whole content of that user's post.
A quick look at that user's history showed they had started the exact same strategy of throwing the same unprovoked insults a bunch of times within the past few days alone. Some of these even lead to back-and-forths where the users on the other side got banned, while this specific user still roams around to start fights out of nowhere.

And it's always the same crap, they start unprovoked harassment in the hopes of getting heated responses. And this isn't even activism. Anyone who's been around forums for a while will know this is pure flamebait and trolling.

I really don't get how this recurrent behavior can be positive to the forum. Reasonable people won't like being called a "racist clown" out of nowhere every other day, and the end result here is this forum gradually turning into a tiny circlejerk of these 2 or 3 users insulting everyone.
Yeah the namecalling is out of hand

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Old Gamer

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Some people here are obviously ________, and I don't see why they should be coddled. With that siadbi try to mostly stay away from the discussion wit the exception being today really. I'll just go back to that as I won't tip toe around obvious ________.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Some people here are obviously ________, and I don't see why they should be coddled. With that siadbi try to mostly stay away from the discussion wit the exception being today really. I'll just go back to that as I won't tip toe around obvious ________.
As I have already stated, if there are genuine grievances regarding things like hate speech, then please go ahead and report them; we will deal with that.

Differences of opinion, however, well, we need to be careful of labelling people a certain way.

There is a tendency on the forum, on both sides of the argument to blanket paint a lot of people a certain way, if they don't follow a certain viewpoint; we need to be careful not to fall into that trap.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
As I have already stated, if there are genuine grievances regarding things like hate speech, then please go ahead and report them; we will deal with that.

Differences of opinion, however, well, we need to be careful of labelling people a certain way.

There is a tendency on the forum, on both sides of the argument to blanket paint a lot of people a certain way, if they don't follow a certain viewpoint; we need to be careful not to fall into that trap.
Totally understand your point and what you are saying and I will be mindful going forward.

• Heart
Reactions: Sircaw

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
Just 2 things I’ve been thinking about

• I do think people need to be a bit more strict with themselves and don’t just turn this place into twitter 2.0. Fact check your stuff, don’t just post a random tweet showing a random picture of another randomly translated tweet. People were rightfully asking for receipts and at that point the conversation shouldn’t really go further. There’s a vast difference between freedom of speech, difference of opinion and misinformation. If you feel strongly about SBI then do a proper job with your arguments.
  • Trying to find a middle ground is not as easy as just asking for it because a lot of things go unchecked here. Someone said we shouldn’t put our heads in our asses and ignore what SBI is doing but in the same breath a lot of veiled bigotry and dog whistling goes wholly unchecked. I can respect you don’t want this place to be resetera but you all allowed discussions of SBI and not everyone is gonna feel the same way about this situation so the way this place gets moderated influences the discussions that’s gonna crop up. A lot of times with this people conflate diversity with whatever SBI is doing and it can lead to a lot of ugliness. One example that always stuck in my head was the thread on Angela from SH2, the very first page had a meme of Shawne Benson and like I just wonder if people are mature enough to realize shit like that sucks and is actually disgusting.
I signed up here to bag on Xbots initially but realized that this place is also trying to be anti-resetera by not only allowing dissenting opinions on consoles but also politics as well. And cool buuuuut that’s a tougher objective than just letting people meme on colteastwood.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Lately, we have received several reports of people complaining about political discourse on these forums.

These discussions have been getting rather heated, with both sides throwing many personal insults around in the discussion. On the left side, Terms like Racist, far right, bigot, and nazi; are being used all the time. At the same time, we have people dog piling on the left, calling people SJWs and Baby Inc. sympathisers. etc etc.

We really want to try to keep lines of communication open between people. We can not stress this enough, but this back-and-forth arguing is not good for anyone.

People must try to be more tolerant of how they label others that they do not disagree with. If you have a problem with someone's opinion and can not control in how you reply, ie personal attacks, then please put that person on ignore.

If there are genuine forms of Hate speech going around, i.e. (racist remarks, homophobic slurs, etc..), then make a report and message the mods. We will not tolerate any of that rubbish here.

Saying all that, if this constant type of labelling continues, we will be forced to shut down all discussions on these matters, which, in my opinion, would be a terrible shame.

There is already so much censorship these days from places like Ree; we don't want to be like that place.

I am asking people to please try to dial it back.

This thread is not a grievance thread; please do not turn it into one.

Thank you for listening.

Also, same can be applied for "PS5 is fucked, doomed...." threads. It is becoming reaaaaally tiresome.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

Be quiet Tottentransgender, you’re a racist clown, that’s all I said because there was nothing else that needed to be said. It wasn’t out of nowhere or “unprovoked”, if you behave like a racist clown then that’s what sensible people will call you. No time should be wasted having discussions with obvious racists clowns like you 🤡

And I’m far from being left wing and don’t call people racist loosely, but facts are facts

Exactly…this bum @ToTTenTranz gender said some blatantly racist nonsense and is now crying that I didn’t have a discussion with him about it 🤣

Last edited:

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Trying to find a middle ground is not as easy as just asking for it because a lot of things go unchecked here. Someone said we shouldn’t put our heads in our asses and ignore what SBI is doing but in the same breath a lot of veiled bigotry and dog whistling goes wholly unchecked. I can respect you don’t want this place to be resetera but you all allowed discussions of SBI and not everyone is gonna feel the same way about this situation so the way this place gets moderated influences the discussions that’s gonna crop up.
Worse. You have members calling LGBT people of "degenerates" and that goes unchecked. Hell, even funnier is seeing some moderators agreeing with a users victimisation when that user has been one of the biggest offenders recently, going as far as calling Yasuke of essentially a big black pet that did some tricks. That's the level we're in.

A lot of times with this people conflate diversity with whatever SBI is doing and it can lead to a lot of ugliness. One example that always stuck in my head was the thread on Angela from SH2, the very first page had a meme of Shawne Benson and like I just wonder if people are mature enough to realize shit like that sucks and is actually disgusting.
Not just that one. Any thread nowadays where people don't like a change or a character turns into a show where you always read the same handful of very respectful individuals just saying the same crap about DEI, and how western characters are ugly, and how X game is not historically accurate because there's X person in it (usually a black person, but that's not racism, it's a real and legimitate concern).

The two sides argument makes this even funnier when the allegations of "woke, SBI, black samurai in Japan is wrong, LGBT are degenerates, etc" are almost always the ones that begin the argument, and are then met with resistance by a handful of members (the clear minority).

@JAHGamer be careful, that may get you banned.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Ok mods.

At this point I just want to know if this shit is going to be allowed. I see users getting banned but this one keeps insulting others freely and gets away with it.

I don't even care if it's only this user who gets to have more freedom than others for being someone's friend/lover, or if it's generally accepted in the forum.
If this is allowed I'll just go.

Captura de ecrã 2024-06-16 103337.png

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Yurinka

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Everyone in this thread sounds like a gay, lefty, right-wing, dog-whistling, MIC-loving, Halleburton-investing, gun-controlling, free-speech enjoying, tree-hugging, pride-flag waving, swatztika-having, reparations blocking, Palestinian-supporting, Ukraine-denying, misinformation-spreading, Jewish lizard person protecting, contrarian-libertarian, degenerate, racist, chud, homophobe, LGBTQ ally, and we all need to do better to save the whales, protect the children and stop the demonic alien tinfoil-hat stealing, election deniers from crossing the Rubicon and dying on this hill.

We all need to do better.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
going as far as calling Yasuke of essentially a big black pet that did some tricks. That's the level we're in.

This blatant lie is pure dishonest defamation and you 100% know it. Mods even called out for this at the time yet you still insist on it.

I wrote Yasuke was treated like a pet by Nobunaga and then I posted the original letter which I translated and explained why I claimed as such. He gets called "a beast" as reason why they don't demand seppukku from him along with Nobunaga in Japanese scriptures and the Jesuits say "Nobunaga asked to keep him", hence the "like a pet"

Nowhere do I say that was fine, and I very clearly stated that was a form of racism from those times. But this is something you know and don't care. There are no bad tactics, only bad targets which is why you think it's okay to lie and defame at will.

Status
Not open for further replies.