"A Showcase of Decima Engine in Horizon Forbidden West" wins Best in Show award at Siggraph 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
hell yes , the talent and tech of ps-studios
salty haters in 3...........2.............1
Your eyes are fooling you, there is actually very little technical skills and the art is sh*it.

Look my kid does better:
animation spaceship GIF by Nikolar

Also, the gameplay is horrible, encounters are badly designed, lore is all copied from Jurassic park but the worst is that if it was on Gamepass at least you would not need to pay 70$ to find out.

24 Jun 2022
Yea, I can see that but now I'd use UE5 over anything else tbh.

I personally think Decima is the more impressive engine, but to be fair we haven't seen a large-scale AAA game made with UE5 yet. One that's been released, anyway.

HFW is such a tour of force. Even on base PS4 the game's amazing and looks better than a lot of current-gen only games for PS5 and Series X. Goes to show at the end of the day, you don't need all the TFs, ML, RT etc. buzzword features. Just talent, a lot of money and a lot of time.

Those other things can help, though. Ultimately however they're just tools, it's who's using the tool that actually matters.

D

Deleted member 13

I personally think Decima is the more impressive engine, but to be fair we haven't seen a large-scale AAA game made with UE5 yet. One that's been released, anyway.

HFW is such a tour of force. Even on base PS4 the game's amazing and looks better than a lot of current-gen only games for PS5 and Series X. Goes to show at the end of the day, you don't need all the TFs, ML, RT etc. buzzword features. Just talent, a lot of money and a lot of time.

Those other things can help, though. Ultimately however they're just tools, it's who's using the tool that actually matters.
Sure. I will have to agree to disagree with you then. I think UE5 is the better engine over most engines out today and of course, Epic has the funds to do proper R&D in order to get things like Nanite and Lumen. I look forward to seeing how HFW looks at the highest graphics settings possible when it releases on PC.

Reactions: PropellerEar
24 Jun 2022
Sure. I will have to agree to disagree with you then. I think UE5 is the better engine over most engines out today and of course, Epic has the funds to do proper R&D in order to get things like Nanite and Lumen. I look forward to seeing how HFW looks at the highest graphics settings possible when it releases on PC.

I'm not necessarily doubting the strength and flexibility of UE5, FWIW, it's just that we still need time to see what it can do with a real game, a large-scale AAA release, to fully gauge its capabilities in a commercial product IMO. But those games are coming, hopefully sooner rather than later.

HFW PC port will probably be the equivalent of Cyberpunk at Ultra settings on a 3090, which looks notably better than the PS5/Series X versions for obvious reasons. Although I guess part of it will also come down to Decima engine improvements on the PC side, I heard Death Stranding made a lot of improvements there over HZD's PC port.

D

Deleted member 13

I'm not necessarily doubting the strength and flexibility of UE5, FWIW, it's just that we still need time to see what it can do with a real game, a large-scale AAA release, to fully gauge its capabilities in a commercial product IMO. But those games are coming, hopefully sooner rather than later.
I personally don't see Nanite game being utilized this generation. I'll gladly eat crow if an UE5 game uses it.

HFW PC port will probably be the equivalent of Cyberpunk at Ultra settings on a 3090, which looks notably better than the PS5/Series X versions for obvious reasons. Although I guess part of it will also come down to Decima engine improvements on the PC side, I heard Death Stranding made a lot of improvements there over HZD's PC port.
The big advantage that the PC GPUs have over the consoles is simply they have enough bandwidth to force a true native 4k backbuffer throughout the entire pipeline. That alone makes everything extremely detailed and sharp. Every single graphics feature that's based on a screenspace data grid will be enhanced.

OP
OP
Sharinghack

Sharinghack

21 Jun 2022
Lisbon, Portugal
www.pushvfx.com
If I'm not mistaken, the only studio to ever use UE on an open world game was Bend Studio, to impressive results may I say. But from what I remember it was heavily modified and customized, for instance all the vegetation system was custom made for the game, also the Horde system. Nothing you can do out of the box from the third party engine.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
There are limitations in UE5 that in-house engines overcome easy.
The big question is between?

A) In house engine.
B) Heavy modified UE5.

I don't think it is worth to heavy modify UE5 instead to use it own in-house engine.

Most Sony studios will continue using their in-house engines the exceptions are these that doesn't have a in-house engine (Bend for example).
But remember that Guerrilha is allowing others developers to use their Decima engine so probably even Bend if it was today could have choose Decima over UE5.

Status
Not open for further replies.