A Year Since Its Release, Sony Seems to Have Abandoned PlayStation VR2 - IGN

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

A Year Since Its Release, Sony Seems to Have Abandoned PlayStation VR2​

Shattered reality.​

A Year Since Its Release, Sony Seems to Have Abandoned PlayStation VR2 - IGN Image

Taylor Lyles Avatar

BY TAYLOR LYLES

UPDATED: FEB 29, 2024 1:08 PM

POSTED: FEB 29, 2024 12:35 PM

In 2021, Sony announced it was working on a next-generation headset it described as “a next-gen VR system that enhances everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input.” Roughly a year later, PlayStation VR2 was officially revealed, with a release date set for February 2023.

Fast-forward to just over a year after its release, and the PSVR2 has not achieved its full potential. Between its lack of first-party exclusives, steep price, lack of backward compatibility, and retail delays, the PSVR2 has barely made a ripple in the VR market.
Now, amid devastating layoffs that include the closure of the VR-focused PlayStation London, it seems like PSVR2 may already be on its last legs. Here’s how we got there and what the future may hold for PlayStation’s troubled VR headset.

PlayStation VR2 Review

10:00

Autoplay setting: On
PlayStation VR2 Review

Great Hardware, Not a Ton of System-Selling Games

There is no denying the PSVR2’s hardware is fantastic: OLED displays, great controllers with haptic support, and eye tracking, just to name a few. Yet, as I pointed out before its release last year, one of the major measures of success for the PSVR2 is a strong showing of exclusive content, and that part has generally failed to materialize in the year since release.
Take the PSVR2’s launch lineup, which featured over 40 games. It’s an impressive number, but upon closer inspection, only three of those games were true PSVR2 exclusives, and only one of those games – Horizon Call of the Mountain – went beyond an optional VR mode.

Every PlayStation VR2 Launch Game​

A list of games confirmed to launch alongside PlayStation’s second VR headset.

By comparison, Meta has dominated the VR market for the last five years not just because it does not need to be tethered to another device to function but because it has desirable exclusives like Resident Evil 4 VR and Asgard’s Wrath 2.
Elsewhere, third-party support for PSVR2 has mostly been okay. Games like Supermassive’s The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR and the now-defunct First Contact’s Firewall Ultra were met with lukewarm receptions. Synapse and C-Smash VRS were better-received and have turned into two of its most popular games, though the latter will become a multi-platform release this April.
Despite touting the PSVR2 as a AAA VR platform, Sony doesn’t seem interested in having its first-party studios work on VR games. Aside from multiple unannounced games canceled by the company, some of the studios affected by the recent reduction in staff include the aforementioned London Studio, which worked on two PSVR games, including 2019’s Blood & Truth Firesprite, which developed PSVR games Air Force Special Ops: Nightfall, The Persistence, and more recently Horizon Call of the Moutain, also lost staff.

"Despite touting the PSVR2 as a AAA VR platform, Sony doesn’t seem interested in having its first-party studios work on VR games

Those familiar with Sony’s gaming hardware ecosystem are likely realizing the similarities between PlayStation VR2 and PlayStation Vita, Sony’s gaming handheld first released in 2011. At the time, the Vita was intended as a big-budget gaming handheld that, but a lack of support and other issues resulted in it underperforming in comparison to the PlayStation Portable. Now it seems as if the PSVR2 is suffering the same fate.

Abandoned by Its Creator?

One year later, PSVR2’s first-party support leaves a lot to be desired. While Horizon Call of the Mountain was a great launch game, Sony’s lack of interest in making first-party games is noticeable not just to the media but also to the players who shelled out $550 for a headset only for it to collect dust within a year or so of buying it.
An ongoing theme on X/Twitter shows the frustration of PSVR2 owners for wasting money on a headset that not even Sony appears interested in giving the time of day.

Last edited:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
PS does not ave the best track record with their secondary peripherals. I hate to see VR being no matter the company behind it.

Reactions: xollowsob

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Were there not some VR games shown at the last state of play? I thought there was that Metro one.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Were there not some VR games shown at the last state of play? I thought there was that Metro one.
Yes, metro is multiplat and every few weeks games from third parties are coming out but I think since ppl don't see any first party initiative it's feeling like a Vita situation.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Flopped harder than Vita. Glad to see it'll have a 2nd life as a PC peripheral, but as a PC peripheral it could be better.

Kinda Funny has alluded to the PSVR2 being imposed on Playstation by the broader Sony hardware group. I don't know if there's a good source for that, but it might explain the quick death (which also led to the shuttering of Firesprite).

Reactions: Vertigo
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Flopped harder than Vita. Glad to see it'll have a 2nd life as a PC peripheral, but as a PC peripheral it could be better.

Kinda Funny has alluded to the PSVR2 being imposed on Playstation by the broader Sony hardware group. I don't know if there's a good source for that, but it might explain the quick death (which also led to the shuttering of Firesprite).
We already know your take on it 😂 I will not call in my back up (JAHGamer) the "Game Master" 😂😂

• haha
Reactions: Sircaw

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
We already know your take on it 😂 I will not call in my back up (JAHGamer) the "Game Master" 😂😂
lol the leading Playstation FAN podcast said it was doomed nearly a year ago:

they never should've made it without a Half Life Alyx deal signed.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
lol the leading Playstation FAN podcast said it was doomed nearly a year ago:

they never should've made it without a Half Life Alyx deal signed.
Ya rely to much on tht game I guarantee the sales wouldn't have been much different. Fuck all tht they dropped the ball not including another GOTG VR game also like Astrobot Rescue Mission. The problem from jump is no one is willing to part with almost $600 when you include tax on a peripheral. I can do that and whoever else bought it because as an adult I make good money but had I been on a lower yearly income no way in hell would I have got both a PS5 and PSVR2.

Reactions: xollowsob

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Ya rely to much on tht game I guarantee the sales wouldn't have been much different. Fuck all tht they dropped the ball not including another GOTG VR game also like Astrobot Rescue Mission. The problem from jump is no one is willing to part with almost $600 when you include tax on a peripheral.
I agree that Half Life Alyx isn't enough to make the PSVR2 succeed. It's the table stakes for doing VR in the first place. It's the starting line. If you don't have it, you're not serious.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I agree that Half Life Alyx isn't enough to make the PSVR2 succeed. It's the table stakes for doing VR in the first place. It's the starting line. If you don't have it, you're not serious.
I want fucking Asgard too but it's only on Meta. I have a meta 2 but eventually light get a 3.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Well they’re not wrong. I’d prefer if they stopped development on VR altogether but it’s still in its infancy and most software gimmicky. The r&d for tech is not something to sleep on tho so I commend the attempt. I figure it’s been quietly given up on anyway.

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
PS does not ave the best track record with their secondary peripherals. I hate to see VR being no matter the company behind it.
That's a bummer too. I have a PSP-3000 and I enjoyed it when it was supported. I never owned a PSP-Go, but I had always wanted one back in the day.

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
This article is trashy as fuck

Totally ignores the fact that the only reasons RE games are in VR is because of Sony funding them

Totally ignores that a Metro games was just announced

It even quotes some dude saying Playstation said PS5 was coming to an end which is of course bullshit

And then quotes Ryan McCaffrey, one of the biggest Xbox shills in existence.

No doubt Ryan McCaffrey pushes for this garbage, he just knew he couldn't write it.

Has gotten better support than the Xbox Series in its first year

Edit: The article literally quotes a guy on twitter calling people "ponies"

Last edited: