According to Jason Schreier, Horizon online game is not among Sony's cancelled projects

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Horizon Online will come first. This kind of game will take a full studio to support (as Naughty Dog basically explained when informing us about the cancellation of TLOU Online).

If you think H3 will come out if this game releases... You're for sure more hopeful than i.

I'm in the middle, I don't really think folks at SIE really grasp the whole GaaS thing and undershoots how much they really need in term of staff to keep a game going.
But at the same time I do believe that the Monster Hunter MP game that Guerilla is making is probably a much easier thing to support long term provided the tools they're using are efficient and not a bottleneck in development.

TLoU Online folks were making some crazy game with possibly multiple modes but also some PvE/Narrative attached to it.
Project had too large of a scope, which is the usual for Naughty Dog but this time it was real costly.

Yeah we won’t be seeing Horizon 3 for a long time. Another piece of bad news

I mean, we already knew that, because Horizon came out in 2022 and we know how long these things take to make in the current landscape.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
i would never refer to naughty dog as "a single player games studio", after Last of Us Factions. I've been anticipating more Last of Us online since I rolled credits on Pt2. The cancellation of Last of Us Online hurts bro. I still don't want to believe it.
Of course you wouldn't, that would be admitting that you're wrong.

In ramping up to full production, the massive scope of our ambition became clear. To release and support The Last of Us Online we’d have to put all our studio resources behind supporting post launch content for years to come, severely impacting development on future single-player games. So, we had two paths in front of us: become a solely live service games studio or continue to focus on single-player narrative games that have defined Naughty Dog’s heritage.

They are both single player and multiplayer, but their main focus is their single player campaign.
So... They are single player games with a multiplayer component. Gotcha.

Guerrilla grew some years ago to be able to develop multiple games at the same time. They oficially said to be working at the same time in Horizon 3 and Horizon Online.
You said the same about Naughty Dog, yet they cancelled TLOU Online. Oh, do you remember saying multiple times it wasn't cancelled or in Dev Hell when everybody, including myself, told you that?

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
So pissed twisted metal was axed and not this...

Really feel like the people working on it never had the proper vision for it. First it moved from Lucid and Jason Schreier said that even after 2~ years at Firesprite, the game still wasn't out of pre-production.

At some point, you've just got to realize things aren't working out.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Of course you wouldn't, that would be admitting that you're wrong.

So... They are single player games with a multiplayer component. Gotcha.

You said the same about Naughty Dog, yet they cancelled TLOU Online. Oh, do you remember saying multiple times it wasn't cancelled or in Dev Hell when everybody, including myself, told you that?

I just want to play the game. I like Naughty Dog. I like Playstation.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
That's good as it's one of the few MMORPG's im actually interested in seeing and potentially playing.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I want Horizon 3 since 2 ended on a cliffhanger. IDGAF about a remaster.

I'm pretty sure your brain lacks oxygen. Every single game of theirs ever released was single player, with some of them having multiplayer modes. Horizon Online is an online only game.

But good try, now go back to port begging.

Edit: To make it clear - All of their games were single player games with an optional online component. This makes them single player games, not multiplayer games, or online games. Uncharted 4 was not a multiplayer game. The Last of Us was not a multiplayer game.
TBH Id rather see a new IP or Kilzone instead of Horizon 3 atm. But Im looking forward to Horizon 3 too.
I doubt they stop making Horizon 3 if this finds success. If this is successful it will just help the studio and PS with more funds.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
TBH Id rather see a new IP or Kilzone instead of Horizon 3 atm. But Im looking forward to Horizon 3 too.
I doubt they stop making Horizon 3 if this finds success. If this is successful it will just help the studio and PS with more funds.
I'd honestly rather they finish the story and be done with it, then move to other things. Waiting probably a decade to get the 3rd / final part just sounds like a ballache

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
i would never refer to naughty dog as "a single player games studio", after Last of Us Factions. I've been anticipating more Last of Us online since I rolled credits on Pt2. The cancellation of Last of Us Online hurts bro. I still don't want to believe it.
Same, I was so looking forward to Factions 2. Them saying it was a ND single player experince in a online world, PVE…
TLOU is perfect for an online PVE/PVP world. Imagine all the stories outside of Ellie that could of been told.

Damn Sony for not giving them the resources to do it and carry on making single story player games. The studio deserved it

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I'd honestly rather they finish the story and be done with it, then move to other things. Waiting probably a decade to get the 3rd / final part just sounds like a ballache
It will probably come for the end of the generation/ cross gen with PS6.

Either way its happening

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Same, I was so looking forward to Factions 2. Them saying it was a ND single player experince in a online world, PVE…
TLOU is perfect for an online PVE/PVP world. Imagine all the stories outside of Ellie that could of been told.

Damn Sony for not giving them the resources to do it and carry on making single story player games. The studio deserved it

I'm just praying there's some way they can release it without the expectation of GaaS ongoing story content. If it was going to be a big shared world game like The Division, break us off a little 4v4 version PLEASE.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That's good as it's one of the few MMORPG's im actually interested in seeing and potentially playing.
I enjoy the combat in Horizon, if they can move it to PVE world and not so grindy like Monster Hunter it could be great and addictive

Reactions: peter42O

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I'm just praying there's some way they can release it without the expectation of GaaS ongoing story content. If it was going to be a big shared world game like The Division, break us off a little 4v4 version PLEASE.

I think its unfortunately dead in the pipes :(

Hell they should keep it for TLOU3 and onwards. Even if its PVP only.
But That universe deserves more and more stories too. People are loving Helldivers, imagine TLOU PVE and PVP

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I think its unfortunately dead in the pipes :(

Hell they should keep it for TLOU3 and onwards. Even if its PVP only.
But That universe deserves more and more stories too. People are loving Helldivers, imagine TLOU PVE and PVP
The big thing I wanted was the ability to lure infected at human players. PS3 wasn't up to the task of having infected and humans in the same place.