Activision Blizzard Merger with Microsoft Could Fall Apart According to Insiders - WCCFTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

According to insiders that talked with the New York Post, Microsoft certainly didn't expect this level of scrutiny from market authorities. In fact, the increasing pressure has left both it and Activision Blizzard at odds behind the scenes despite both companies' insistence that the deal will go through.

The brass tacks at this point are regarding the exclusivity of the Call of Duty franchise. While Microsoft has stated before that this game series will not be kept from PlayStation, they also wouldn't be legally obligated to keep the franchise not exclusive, and that is where the dealbreaker begins to set in for the regulators.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I hope so..

But that article is pretty weak... NY Post is a tabloid, and that appears to just be generic click-bait not something even claiming to have special inside sources.

I mean this is literally it:

Some insiders and analysts have said that Microsoft — which has enjoyed a better relationship with regulators in recent years compared to rivals like Meta and Google — likely did not expect this level of scrutiny from authorities. The increasing pressure has left the companies at odds behind the scenes, sources close to the situation said, even as Activision and Microsoft are publicly putting on brave faces and insisting the deal will go through.

Some insiders and analysts say MS "likely did not expect this level of scrutiny" isn't like.. journalism lol They aren't even really claiming they talked to insiders like the WCF Tech article is saying.... there is no "we spoke to" other than MS spokespeople repeating their claim the deal will go through.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think that will be completed because I think it wouldn't change a lot their position in the market a lot, in the same way that all previous acquisitions combined didn't highly change MS's position when trying to compete their direct competition (Sony and Nintendo, or in PC Steam, or Apple and Google in mobile plus many mobile publishers), which is above them in terms of market share and install base.

MS is far from causing competitive issues to their direct competitors even acquiring ABK and making CoD full console exclusive because they're even far from being market leaders both in gaming and in each main gaming market.

But at the same time, I think it's logical that regulators will want to investigate it because they don't know this until they investigate the real numbers and they only they know is that a trillion dollar company is buying the top 3rd party publisher and they don't know that this publisher only generates a tiny portion of the money of the market so it isn't really that important, even in the direct competition platform of MS. But as happened until know, I expect regulators approve the deal with no restrictions after investigating the deal.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I would be very surprised if they weren't expecting this level of scrutiny. If they weren't it screams of arrogance.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Melt downs would be the most epic shit if this were supposed to fall apart. I see ms making concessions tho, i cant see them letting this fall apart because of cod exclusivity.

24 Jun 2022
It's kind of wild that the cornerstone of this deal centers on COD, but given the numbers MW2 just put up the past week, I can easily see why. Those are MCU numbers (when the MCU was still a surefire box office powerhouse; Phase 4 hasn't been hitting the mark super well in multiple ways, maybe Wakanda Forever can start reversing those trends), and ABK pulled that off in a single week.

So I can understand why Sony are worried about what happens to COD if/when MS get ABK, but I also think MS would be absolutely braindead stupid to change the formula as it brings in so much money. I think them downplaying GamePass's share of their gaming revenue going forward plays into this thought, so there are some legitimate reasons to believe them when they say they won't take COD off PlayStation and, now for me, that will probably extend to the traditional annual releases in addition to Warzone.

Generally, I'm not really "against" MS getting ABK. I don't care what money they stand to make, I don't necessarily care what money Sony could stand to lose if, say, they don't have the marketing rights to COD anymore, either. My bigger issue is that if the deal goes through, it acts like a dam-buster for other companies to just go after other big 3P games publishes. I don't want that to happen, and companies like Apple, Amazon etc. will have much easier cases to argue for going after one or several 3P games publishers by just pointing to MS buying ABK. At some point, that effect of acquisitions WILL hurt Sony and also Nintendo, it'll bleed them out of companies that can provide content for their platforms on fair terms (or terms where some other company that's a hardware or services platform holder won't automatically try contorting the terms to benefit them ahead of anyone else), and that would be terrible to see IMO.

So that's why I'm glad at least some of these regulators are looking into the deal with more scrutiny. I hope it means some stricter limitations are imposed upon the market in terms of what companies can be bought, in what frequency buyers can buy, and what standards & practices WRT competing systems or services they have to still play nice by. For example let's say MS gets ABK; I think there needs to be some limitation set where they can't buy another 3P games publisher for a five-year period. Gives them time to produce some meaningful results with the ABK teams, the Zenimax teams etc. to prove that they're doing this for genuine reasons, not just to shore up assets to collect money on where the output is virtually indistinguishable from what the teams produced when they were independent, otherwise what's the point of purchase in terms of adding to the industry with creative output? Gaming isn't just a money-making machine; it makes money because of the quality of the content out there and it's a creative-driven industry at that. So if you're making big purchasing moves with no intent to add back to that space creatively in ways that would not be possible otherwise, that can become an issue.

If MS want to buy smaller independent developers, I don't think any restrictions should be as strict there, but maybe they can only buy a collective totaling a certain valuation (say $250 million) over the 5-year period, and/or only being able to buy three developers who have a valuation combined of $250 million or less. Things like that, things that make it so having ridiculous amounts of money can't just buy your way to being a top earner or potentially starving competitors out of the market. And FWIW, I would impose those same restrictions on ALL companies, so that would include Sony, Embracer, Tencent (Tencent are more about buying majority sales, so some terms to regulate that would be needed), Sazzy Group, etc. Ensure that the independent 3P publisher market always maintains a minimum of collective market valuation, through the devs under those publishers, their IP, technology, assets, workforce sizes and combinations of those things. And all the major market regulators would have to agree to enforce this, together.

I don't even see this as being too wild or controversial; the industry itself has come together to self-regulate before, that's how we got the ESRB. Maybe instead of having the regulators enforce the terms above, the platform holders, publishers, and investment groups could form a consortium and self-regulate the terms among themselves, that probably would save regulators a lot of trouble and make them more favorable to approve whatever acquisitions are actually pursued.

I think that will be completed because I think it wouldn't change a lot their position in the market a lot, in the same way that all previous acquisitions combined didn't highly change MS's position when trying to compete their direct competition (Sony and Nintendo, or in PC Steam, or Apple and Google in mobile plus many mobile publishers), which is above them in terms of market share and install base.

MS is far from causing competitive issues to their direct competitors even acquiring ABK and making CoD full console exclusive because they're even far from being market leaders both in gaming and in each main gaming market.

But at the same time, I think it's logical that regulators will want to investigate it because they don't know this until they investigate the real numbers and they only they know is that a trillion dollar company is buying the top 3rd party publisher and they don't know that this publisher only generates a tiny portion of the money of the market so it isn't really that important, even in the direct competition platform of MS. But as happened until know, I expect regulators approve the deal with no restrictions after investigating the deal.

Well they're already seeing some real numbers, MW2 generated $1 billion in revenue in less than a week through sales alone. There's no other game outside of GTA doing those types of numbers.

All the more reason they will very likely keep COD multiplatform on PS in all its forms, actually. And even find some way to bring it to Switch platforms (combination native & cloud to offset lack of visuals running purely native).

Last edited:
P

peter42O

There's literally nothing new in the article and no one was sourced officially or anonymous. Another article that's nothing more than repeating what we already knew months ago.

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

Article title versus substance

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Jim Ryan

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Just the obvious premonition that looms around anything MS related or Acquisition related from MS. Isn't the last COD the least reviewed COD game ever? Then under MS you know it will hit the 60's. Besides, an exclusive COD is a dead franchise anyway.

Yet if this falls apart, this will do irreparable damage to XBOX fandom. There will be gnashing and wailing of teeth....

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I remember hearing some of the arm chair analysts on here and in gaf saying it would pass easily. Still waiting 🍿

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I remember hearing some of the arm chair analysts on here and in gaf saying it would pass easily. Still waiting 🍿
It's never been expected to pass before some time into 2023.. all MS/ACTI have said is before the fiscal year closes at the end of June.

But totally agree anyone saying "it will pass easily" from the start was way too confident; it's still really hard to tell how well it's coming along as it was expected to get resistance.. expected to get close scrutiny.. and it's always been expected to run into 2023.

It also should be expected to get a lot of clickbait on it.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
P

peter42O

I have always said Spring 2023 would be when the acquisition closes. So April/May. This acquisition was always going to go to 2023 for majority of regulators due to the size and cost of the acquisition. Plus, Microsoft said they expect it to close by June 30th, 2023.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Activision jumped the gun on agreeing to a buy out before MW2, Overwatch 2, and Diablo IV came out.

No one even cares about the kotick shit anymore

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Just the obvious premonition that looms around anything MS related or Acquisition related from MS. Isn't the last COD the least reviewed COD game ever? Then under MS you know it will hit the 60's. Besides, an exclusive COD is a dead franchise anyway.

Yet if this falls apart, this will do irreparable damage to XBOX fandom. There will be gnashing and wailing of teeth....
"Microsoft needs to PUNISH sony" will be their mantra if it fails. Meanwhile investors will probably start to lose patience and want to invest in other, more viable markets.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
So the latest COD sees the most success on PS5.... COD had the most success on PS last gen too...interestingly... Destiny was most played on PS. In fact, PS overtook the XBOX for the multiplayer console since PS4. At this point, even Kotick is probably trying to kill this deal, but tbh, Activision has to bring other franchises to the fore again apart from COD. Tony Hawk just isn't going to cut it, get some single player games.....

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Activision jumped the gun on agreeing to a buy out before MW2, Overwatch 2, and Diablo IV came out.

No one even cares about the kotick shit anymore

Really impossible to know where the stock would be today w/o the MS buyout. Also where people's "care" would be surrounding Kotick, because a lot of people "forgot" because of MS.

Not saying you are outright wrong or anything, but I don't think it's cut and dried.

The stock price right now has absolutely everything to do with the buyout, and will only have to do with said buyout and it's possibility up until it either goes through or falls though. If it falls through I'd expect a massive drop from where it is today IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.