After all the leaks, Sony needs to buy Marvel from Disney ASAP.

Sony needs to drop everything and negotiate with Disney

• I agree

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Disney deserves all the money

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sony needs to make less of those and certainly stop bundling them based on this info.

Spider-man is pretty unique as far as Marvel heroes go, he is drastically more popular than anyone else. Sony already got the best property out of Marvel without having to buy them.

Sony owned IPs like GoW, TLoU, Uncharted, Horizon, are selling damn well (and Spider-man is the best they'll ever get out of Marvel).

There's no chance Disney gets 50% of the hardware + game price.
It's just the game, probably due to the heavy use of their IP to push consoles.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Disney is hurting bad financially and there's many rumors they are looking to sell stuff.

Sony needs to buy Marvel from them as a priority. It is unfair how they have to share all their profits from Spider-Man movies and games with these lazy cunts.

Insomniac is now making many Marvel games and Disney will rake the profits without doing anything (up to 50% for PS5 bundles, the fuck?)

Do you guys think Sony is having discussion with Disney right now?

View attachment 3357

Disney bought Marvel for 4 billions. I think 10-12 billions would be enough.

Calculating Oh No GIF by MOODMAN
Marvel is worth way too much to Disney for them to sell it, and just look at the Marvel movies Sony has made without Marvel’s involvement. They’re all shit, and if they owned all of Marvel the movies would go back to 1990s-level shit.

On top of that, if Sony has no interest in buying SquareEnix and Kodansha because they branch too far out of Sony,s areas of expertise with things like publishing, Marvel is in the same situation. Then you have th theme park rights. Avengers Campus is a huge draw for the Disney parks, and they wouldn't want to have to pay another company for the rights to the characters that the attractions are based on.

The thesis of this thread is as flawed as the idea that Matt Booty should be People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive 2023.

Also, when Avi Arad had nearly bankrupted Marvel in the early 2000s, he tried to sell out to Sony then and they weren't interested. Marvel was worth maybe 0.1% of what they are now at the time.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Shallow non offensive, checkbox inclusivity, diversity, milk toast AI lite characters and plots will do that.

Reactions: Vertigo

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sony had their chance in the 90’s. That ship has long past.
Imagine how lame PlayStation would've been if they owned Marvel all this time.

We got lucky, Marvel is lame, Spider-man and very few other heroes are the exception.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Disney is hurting bad financially and there's many rumors they are looking to sell stuff.

Sony needs to buy Marvel from them as a priority. It is unfair how they have to share all their profits from Spider-Man movies and games with these lazy cunts.

Insomniac is now making many Marvel games and Disney will rake the profits without doing anything (up to 50% for PS5 bundles, the fuck?)

Do you guys think Sony is having discussion with Disney right now?

View attachment 3357

Disney bought Marvel for 4 billions. I think 10-12 billions would be enough.

Calculating Oh No GIF by MOODMAN
If Disney wants to sell Marvel (I highly doubt it), if I was Sony I'd buy it because for Sony it's a gold mine both in games and in movies. Sony is making a lot of money with Marvel IPs.

Regarding games, most of the revenue they make from these games are digital game sales, and if Disney only gets 9%-18% from them it's a great deal.

Years ago I worked in several games with licenses either for the full game or for guest licensed DLC (stuff like Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, UEFA Champions League and many others) and they took 30-50% of it.

Last edited:

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Sony/Jim Ryan turning Insomniac into a licensed Marvel machine is no one's fault but Jim Ryan's. We don't need that many licensed games, and then he was dumb enough to port those games to PC and lose the exclusive advantage those titles had

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Is the 50% for bundles, 50% of the price of the game ($35) or 50% of the whole bundle 🤔

It's shocking to me how Sony is getting fleeced.
I'd bet it's 50% of the part of the bundle relative to the game. Meaning if it's a console + game bundle priced $35 higher than the console alone, then Marvel would get $17.5 from each PS5 Spider-Man/Wolverine bundle.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Nope, except CoD those are too dead to be revived right now.
Based on the last few Marvel movies I watched they seem to be pretty dead to me and going nowhere. I think they entered a DC-like territory of not knowing what to do with their IPs.

Spider-man is the only exception, just like Batman is for DC. Sony already has access to Spider-man on both movies and games.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Based on the last few Marvel movies I watched they seem to be pretty dead to me and going nowhere. I think they entered a DC-like territory of not knowing what to do with their IPs.

Spider-man is the only exception, just like Batman is for DC. Sony already has access to Spider-man on both movies and games.
I want classic Hulk back, he's my favorite super hero, no glasses please!... and Superman.

The latest run of Marvel is pure garbage, they're just boring movies, don't even get into the political stuff, they're a bore fest. I think DC is much better (but they don't please everyone and I can see why in many cases).

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
OP's reality is severely divorced from the one everybody else lives in. Disney is going to "drop" unprofitable or break even stuff. They aren't giving away the things that actually work. And then you cite Disney's original purchase price (famously, the "best deal ever made in Hollywood") and treat that as some sort off baseline and not the 10s of billions of dollars Disney has since made on it.

edit: I'd also argue that Disney's stock is in a real trough right now because of the switch away from cable and problems with streaming but its film unit still remains very strong, the parks print money and the cruise line doubly so. They need to hurry up and sell or spin off the cable stuff because its keeping the stock price artificially low. And, realistically speaking, they should probably sell 21st Century too.

Last edited: