Alan Wake 2 reportedly runs at 840p60 FPs/1260p30FPS on the PS5 Pro (TLOUSPTII 1440p, Ratchet 1800p)

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Someone who is reportedly subscribed to their patreon:

ALAN WAKE 2 AT 864P 60FPS ON PS5 PRO?!

DF Direct on their Patreon. They got Pro Res footage and did an analysis and talked about each game shown in the PS5 Pro reveal video. Mixed feelings at best from me. People who are expecting "4k 60fps" about to have a bad day. The clips they've shown were with PSSR.

The Last of Part 2 - 1440p internal resolution at 60fps in this PS5 Pro Mode (same as PS5 Performance Mode) with improved image quality due to PSSR

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - Between 1440p and 1800p internal resolution (roughly the PS5 Quality Mode at 40fps) at 60fps in this PS5 Pro mode with the same settings as the PS5 Performance Mode and using PSSR to bring it up to 4K

Alan Wake 2 - Two modes shown (864p at 60fps & 1260p at 30fps) which is the same as the base PS5 modes and they presume it’s using PSSR and not the FSR in base PS5. 60fps clip has SSR but the 30fps clip could have RT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
1726405331-image.png

• haha
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: Bo_Hazem and Airbus

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
^ Means DF has no PS5 Pro?

Ahh see at the end of the tweet it's based on footage not hands-on?
''DG2 looks to be running at 60fps''. I am going to enjoy the meltdown over this if it's the case.
Also 864p for AW2? Means it's unpatched, that's the performance mode resolution running on current console. Unless all it has is PSSR and stable performance.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Alan Wake 2 ran 840p on a console comparable with 4070?

No fukin way even with 60 fps and pssr applied

Wtf is these digital fud-ry dirtbag talking about

If they dont have the console yet....where are these aspull numbers coming from....

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
?

Not sure if that matters… what DF do is to take pictures from the output and pixel count to find the resolution.

It doesn’t matter if it is with the game or via video… it is the same job.

While the patch can change until the release… what they showed is at these resolutions.

BTW the ideia behind DLSS, PSSR, etc is to have these lower resolutions upscalled via AI to 4K.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Alan Wake 2 was terrible on ps5.
Remedy really does not give a fuck about console version.

Terrible, worst this gen image quality with fsr and ssr so grainy ,it turns the game into mush.
Not even holding 30fps well in quality mode
No rt and NO FALLBACK tech. ssr only works at extreme angle. horrible port. I was so angry when playing it on ps5 especially hearing "it's so amazig looking"

Amazing my ass (I am still angry)
SWF2CmD.jpeg

OJClUBu.jpeg

KBVmw33.jpeg

I didn't like the game too... and I disliked Saga... why is she even in there.
Did finish it but I am willing to give the game a 2nd chance once they fix it

Reactions: Lersds and Bo_Hazem

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Another FUD campaign.

Can't come soon enough the release of the bloody damn thing.

The same shit happened with RE8 and can't run a game on PS5.
Different things…

Here is DF doing pixel count with what Sony showed.

The other is a random make up the lie RE8 was running bad on PS5 because Xbox was running bad in others games (he wanted to make things “fair” lol).

The second is FUD.
But the first is just facts based in what Sony showed.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Alan Wake 2 ran 840p on a console comparable with 4070?

No fukin way even with 60 fps and pssr applied

Wtf is these digital fud-ry dirtbag talking about

If they dont have the console yet....where are these aspull numbers coming from....

Completely within the realm of possibility, 30 FPS ---> 60 FPS is quite the jump.
Anyhow, this is a telephone game at this point, just wait for the actual podcast.

Internal resolution tells you nothing, you have to see the actual Image Quality in action here.

I also want to stress that a lot of things change with nascent technology, I would not be surprised if there's a lot of individual games that revise their PSSR implementation when the PS5 PRO launches and/or PSSR itself gets better over time(even between now and the actual launch). Folks should emember 1.0 or even 2.0 versions of the other upscalers and how even .1 .2 .3 patches saw noticeable improvements over time.

As to how they've getting these number readings:

>>> In our DF Direct Special in the wake of the PlayStation 5 Pro reveal, we had much to say about the hardware, the pitch and the price - but not much to say about the games, owing to the poor media quality. Now, armed with a 65GB ProRes file of the Mark Cerny presentation, we can go deeper - much deeper - into the software that was shown and how good PSSR AI upscaling actually is. Strap in for another two hour show - and there's much to share in this one.

They can now pixel count and compare the complete Image Quality in greater detail now because Sony gave them the files.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I think Alan Wake 2 is running ray tracing on the pro and hence the lower base resolution. But how do they distinguish between real pixel and AI generated pixel and how did they count that? As far as I know AI upscalers are adding pixels ( guessing based on training data) to the image though not rasterized by GPU.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Bo_Hazem

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I love how so many people on the internet have missed the point of AI Upscaling... and why it is such a big deal and why it might be an even bigger deal in handhelds.

I saw someone suggest the Switch 2 might not have AI upscaling, this would be a massive misake to the point where I don't think it is possible.

The PlayStation Handheld is going to be based around PSSR. Getting sub 720p games to look 1080p without native rendering on a 6 inch screen... AI Upscaling is going to bridge the gap of handheld and console/PC gaming more than the Switch and Steam Deck have done.

Battery consumption and size massively impacted by AI upscaling.

I hope the PlayStation handheld hits the market for holiday season next year.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I love how so many people on the internet have missed the point of AI Upscaling... and why it is such a big deal and why it might be an even bigger deal in handhelds.

I saw someone suggest the Switch 2 might not have AI upscaling, this would be a massive misake to the point where I don't think it is possible.

The PlayStation Handheld is going to be based around PSSR. Getting sub 720p games to look 1080p without native rendering on a 6 inch screen... AI Upscaling is going to bridge the gap of handheld and console/PC gaming more than the Switch and Steam Deck have done.

Battery consumption and size massively impacted by AI upscaling.

I hope the PlayStation handheld hits the market for holiday season next year.

A PS4 handheld would be a killer indeed. Not sure about PS5 games though, we don't want another Series S situation.