Alan Wake 2 reportedly runs at 840p60 FPs/1260p30FPS on the PS5 Pro (TLOUSPTII 1440p, Ratchet 1800p)

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think Alan Wake 2 is running ray tracing on the pro and hence the lower base resolution. But how do they distinguish between real pixel and AI generated pixel and how did they count that? As far as I know AI upscalers are adding pixels ( guessing based on training data) to the image though not rasterized by GPU.
Just a point here… it is not lower resolution… it is the same as PS5… 1270p@30fps or 847p@60fps.

Probably the developer choose to enable RT instead to up resolution… and change the FSR2 to PSSR.

Plus the frame rate should be better… on PS5 any mode doesn’t reaches the target.

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Just a point here… it is not lower resolution… it is the same as PS5… 1270p@30fps or 847p@60fps.

Probably the developer choose to enable RT instead to up resolution… and change the FSR2 to PSSR.

Plus the frame rate should be better… on PS5 any mode doesn’t reaches the target.
Actually comparing with RTX 4070 in the video, the 847p base resolutions makes alot of sense. This game is definitely very heavy. The pixel counting of Digital Foundry is legit.

Sony should have made a $1200 console with RTX 4070 ti equivalent. It's a pro after all and should just ignore these cry babies.

Reactions: ethomaz

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
@Bo_Hazem They built the Series S with a price point in mind rather than ensuring parity was possible based on the tech. Likely they were already taking a massive hit with the Series S hardware Ultimately it wasn't designed well enough to match the PR.

Sony can build a handheld that can in theory play scaled down PS5 games without having to have developers cut and carve it up. PSSR is the key to getting there at a decent price. But with a lack of parity mandate, there is no issue here.

It's also the benefit of launching a console later in the life of the system and knowing how developers have used it.

You can test on delivering games that are most taxing to the PS5 and if those games work, you know where your benchmarks are.

• brain
Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022

Richard the other day say the graphic card closest to the Pro's GPU is the RTX 4070.
Now it's maybe a downclcoked RTX 4070.

forrest-gump-backwards.gif

And maybe tomorrow we'll learn it's just a 4060 Ti.

DF they no longer know where they stand.

• haha
Reactions: Umar and Bo_Hazem

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
@Bo_Hazem They built the Series S with a price point in mind rather than ensuring parity was possible based on the tech. Likely they were already taking a massive hit with the Series S hardware Ultimately it wasn't designed well enough to match the PR.

Sony can build a handheld that can in theory play scaled down PS5 games without having to have developers cut and carve it up. PSSR is the key to getting there at a decent price. But with a lack of parity mandate, there is no issue here.

It's also the benefit of launching a console later in the life of the system and knowing how developers have used it.

You can test on delivering games that are most taxing to the PS5 and if those games work, you know where your benchmarks are.
They will probably do it around next generation as next generation will be 100% cross gen and good performance mobile chips will be available.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
They will probably do it around next generation as next generation will be 100% cross gen and good performance mobile chips will be available.

MLID who confirmed the leaks on PS5 Pro and PSSR reported at the same time that Sony was working with AMD on a handheld. They're not waiting to release this until after 2028.

There is still 4 years left in this generation at minimum and it'll continue on for cross gen.

I would be surprised if this handheld doesn't release earlier than 2026.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Richard the other day say the graphic card closest to the Pro's GPU is the RTX 4070.
Now it's maybe a downclcoked RTX 4070.

forrest-gump-backwards.gif

And maybe tomorrow we'll learn it's just a 4060 Ti.

DF they no longer know where they stand.

RTX 4070 is known to be around 55% faster than base PS5. Hence, it is the closest one to PS5 pro. The Alan Wake 2 pixel counting actually puts the PS5 pro version similar to RTX 4070 ( 4070 might have few frames higher).

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
MLID who confirmed the leaks on PS5 Pro and PSSR reported at the same time that Sony was working with AMD on a handheld. They're not waiting to release this until after 2028.

There is still 4 years left in this generation at minimum and it'll continue on for cross gen.

I would be surprised if this handheld doesn't release earlier than 2026.
Working could mean pre planning phase or are deep in development. They won't finalize a hardware now and wait 4 years. If they are in design phase, then the time it takes to release it will depends on the availability of the current or under-development chip they are planning to have.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
A nothing burger because there is no evidence and no1 has played the game patched for PS5 Pro

So what res did PS5 play i at 60fps?

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
A nothing burger because there is no evidence and no1 has played the game patched for PS5 Pro

So what res did PS5 play i at 60fps?
The point of PSSR as will as DLSS is that you get very sharp image that looks 4K. The pixel counting of base image here isn't far from reality if you compare it to how the game is running on equivalent PC hardware. My issue is that how were they able to count the pixels? Because both DLSS and PSSR add ( guess) pixels to the image. Hence there should be a pixel there and should be counted as 4k or what ever final resolution they are targeting.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Working could mean pre planning phase or are deep in development. They won't finalize a hardware now and wait 4 years. If they are in design phase, then the time it takes to release it will depends on the availability of the current or under-development chip they are planning to have.

The timing and description of the leak suggests that it would release sooner rather than later.

Playing PS4 games natively and PS5 games scaled down doesn't make sense in 2027 or 2028.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Alan Wake 2 was terrible on ps5.
Remedy really does not give a fuck about console version.

Terrible, worst this gen image quality with fsr and ssr so grainy ,it turns the game into mush.
Not even holding 30fps well in quality mode
No rt and NO FALLBACK tech. ssr only works at extreme angle. horrible port. I was so angry when playing it on ps5 especially hearing "it's so amazig looking"

Amazing my ass (I am still angry)
SWF2CmD.jpeg

OJClUBu.jpeg

KBVmw33.jpeg

I didn't like the game too... and I disliked Saga... why is she even in there.
Did finish it but I am willing to give the game a 2nd chance once they fix it
IQ on many games now is going down the toilet. As many devs implement global GI and other real-time techniques, things are getting creaky with low Rez bases and shithouse fsr upscaling.

Pro aims to correct the deficiencies. If it succeeds - it will be a huge benefit.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
IQ on many games now is going down the toilet. As many devs implement global GI and other real-time techniques, things are getting creaky with low Rez bases and shithouse fsr upscaling.

Pro aims to correct the deficiencies. If it succeeds - it will be a huge benefit.
yeah it's really annoying.
Lazy devs just take the pc version of a game and slap "low and medium" on it. oh and let's make it 720p with fsr2 upscaling to 4k...
While fsr2 is so expensive, the game could have 10% higher base res without it and using some normal nice TAA....

yeah the pro aims to attack JUST THIS ISSUE which is exactly exactly exactly what I hoped for !