Alana Pearce "The quality of games is not relevant anymore. Companies want games where people spent the most time in. "It will only get worse"

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Can't wait to see her work at SSM, I never particularly disliked her but these IGN types with their safe takes and propensity to shill are so boring. I really wish we had competent and likable game journalists.

Not sure if she was involved but the writing on GoW Ragnarok was a step back from the first game for the most part.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Can't wait to see her work at SSM, I never particularly disliked her but these IGN types with their safe takes and propensity to shill are so boring.

Not sure if she was involved but the writing on GoW Ragnarok was a step back from the first game for the most part.
Yeah she has some real hot takes tht couldn't let me take her seriously as a writer.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
She does bring up an interesting point about potential risks and benefits in a successful single player game vs a successful live service game.

If publishers hit a great single player game they're getting $500M in lifetime sales. If they hit a successful live service game that pull whales into it, then they're getting several years of >$1B annually.

I just think the chances of making and launching a successful live service are so much lower than a successful SP.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
She does bring up an interesting point about potential risks and benefits in a successful single player game vs a successful live service game.

If publishers hit a great single player game they're getting $500M in lifetime sales. If they hit a successful live service game that pull whales into it, then they're getting several years of >$1B annually.

I just think the chances of making and launching a successful live service are so much lower than a successful SP.
Every publisher thinks like that already. Quality single player games are doing better than ever precisely because so many publishers are focused on trying to hit big some GaaS nobody asked for.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
She is the OG thot, one of the ancestors of OF hoes and instagram Thots prevalent nowadays. Ofc the simps at Santa Monica must have hired her what do you expect from commiefornia citizens.
Somebody at Sony smashed and gave her a job, and whoever that was probably told her to stop shilling and she hit him with the "I'm going to tell Sony about us." This is the only way she can still be employed by Sony but still shilling for Microsoft. Black mail, that's what thots do.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Stellar Blade is perhaps also a good example of where things can go. According to the credits, less than 400 developers worked on it, but the game was still a positive surprise in terms of technology and gameplay.

Less than 400 developers. I remember when those were monster sized studios. Things are out of control.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Yet you are supporting PC ports of first party games, which is already affecting quality....

Maybe she is not the only crazy?

Can you specify how it is impacting quality? Like an actual example.

Outside of conjecture.

Last edited:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Can you specify how it is impacting quality? Like an actual example.

Outside of conjecture.

I'm sorry if you are not able to perceive the drop in quality. I can see why you don't have any problem with it.

I gave enough examples in the past. I don't like having to repeat myself. There is also no new examples to mention, as Sony hasn't released anything for a while.

If you are interested, go have a look at my posting history.