AMD CFO during earnings call: "If you look at gaming, demand has been quite weak"

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Christ, some of you doom and gloom guys need to touch some grass. No wonder ashhunter said fuck it and left.
Both xbox series and ps5 are using AMD

Xbox series weak presence of course correlates with AMD sales

Also PS5 missing sales target too ( albeit not as bad as xbox)

If both of them are down then make sense AMD are down too

Dont understand why speaking about facts = doom and gloom ?

OP
OP
Puff

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
And Sony is doing a very bad job in promoting PS5. No news articles and no PR articles as well. The PS5 mainly revolves around pc ports, gaas, canceled games & low profit margins.

Here is an example of bad PR.
Screenshot-20240501-090858-Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
And Sony is doing a very bad job in promoting PS5. No news articles and no PR articles as well. The PS5 mainly revolves around pc ports, gaas, canceled games & low profit margins.

Here is an example of bad PR.
Screenshot-20240501-090858-Chrome.jpg
It's been like that the entire gen, Sony bumbling over their own words and creating non stop needless controversy. And it doesn't help that Microsoft has the entire media in their pockets and twist the narrative even more.

Reactions: Johnic and Puff

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
PS5 also needs a pricr drop. Its £390 for a slim. After 3 years the PS2/3 was cheaper.

And yes also porting your games to other devices takes away value from your own console. Its pretty obvious.
Games like God of War, GT and Spiderman are system sellers.

Some people now are just willing to wait and buy on the PC

1-No price drop,
2-no roadmap or idea when more PS studio exclusives are coming.
3-Not much advertisement.
4-And a lack of exclusives thanks to them porting on PC.

All mistakes they have never done before.

PS5 is selling fine and despoite covid and stock issues it done really well. But it could do alot better after the momentum it got last gen.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's been like that the entire gen, Sony bumbling over their own words and creating non stop needless controversy. And it doesn't help that Microsoft has the entire media in their pockets and twist the narrative even more.
it's hilarious that all this brand damage is being done because they were too cheap to keep paying all of their PR team and fired a bunch of them

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
You've convinced yourselves that there is this huge migration to PC gaming simply because games are there, but it isn't true. We haven't seen this uptick in console style games sales on PC.
So much this. apparently there's this mass Exodus of people going to PC because the games are there, yet these games don't sell on PC. Make it make sense. I think this whole PC impact on sales is overblown, at least for now. It's also cited as the sole reason for Xbox dying, which is not the case. Xbox's decline started long before PC releases and GP just finished the job. Everything else is just Twitter wars ammo.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Sony themselves have been only touting their PC ports for a while now.

I mean, sure there are great games coming to the PS5, but bringing new games to their own platform does not look to be their priority at the moment for some reason.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
How I see the drop AMD gaming revenue…

The positive side…

- Sony increased demand and that countered a bit the drop.

The negative one…

- Microsoft basically cut in more than half the demand (the first big reason for the drop).
- GPUs are not selling like previous years (the second big reason for the drop).
- APUs used in Steam Deck like devices are not putting the world on fire (it is very niche and probably the demand decreased in FY23 compared with FY22).

Summing all that the revenue dropped near half.

Sony PC strategy has nothing to do with it… consoles gamers are not migrating to PC… these that are where already PC gamers but had a console to play exclusives that is a very much parcel of the user base like Sony already showed with researches that the user base doesn’t overlap.

Consoles gamers plays on consoles because it is console… no PC option will ever cater these.
Plus Sony is not having that big amount of PC sales to even people guess that consoles gamers are migrating to PC (I have no ideia how people made up that logic).

OP
OP
Puff

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
JgValI9.jpg

They are joking, right? And then they wonder why PS5 consoles are declining in sales.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
JgValI9.jpg

They are joking, right? And then they wonder why PS5 consoles are declining in sales.
Weak lineup for this month. Dont know why they had to lump Ghost of Tsushima pc in that list just to pad it. Pc isnt Playstation

Last edited:
Reactions: Puff

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
So much this. apparently there's this mass Exodus of people going to PC because the games are there, yet these games don't sell on PC. Make it make sense. I think this whole PC impact on sales is overblown, at least for now. It's also cited as the sole reason for Xbox dying, which is not the case. Xbox's decline started long before PC releases and GP just finished the job. Everything else is just Twitter wars ammo.

Causation vs correlation is one of the first things you learn in college. Maybe some people even learn it in high school or elementary school.

So either these people are entirely ignorant of the concept or they're being deliberately obtuse because they're fanboys and are upset that their games aren't exclusive.

I've seen elioti or whatever his name go on a spree of commenting on this even on the PlayStation blog. He's truly upset.

They've convinced themselves everything is PCs fault. Even when Sony bought a studio to do PC ports, they've convinced themselves that this has impacted the development of games and any bug is because of resources going to PC.

It's a derangement syndrome.

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
How will you react or explain when PS5 doesn't hit 100 million sales?

It depends on the variables, but it would take something monumental for that to happen. I'm willing to put up all my accounts across gaming forums that won't be the case though if you're all willing to do the same.

The PS5 won't surpass PS4 for myriad reasons; lack of software, high price of hardware, general economic environment, declining games market, lack of price drop.

The lack of software is in your head. The price will drop. You apparently have been unaware of economic environments for the last 20+ years. The games market isn't really in decline comparative to pre-covid numbers launch aligned.

More than one incident killed Sega and their issues didn't start with the Dreamcast, they just ended there.

LOL okay...

You're saying that the casuals/normies will buy a PS5 in their tens of millions just for GTA6? Sure I can see it moving some units, but without a significant price drop, people who want a PS5 for normies games will already have one. This isn't year 1 launch, were nudging year 4.

How many people do you think play GTA Online? Would you call them normies?

Do you think the Gameboy sold more in year 1 or more in the year Pokemon launched?

It's not too soon to tell. Anyone with a functioning brain could see Microsoft killing their brand back in 2010. It took 14+ years for the chickens to come home to roost, all the while the people online pointing out the missteps and mistakes of Microsoft were called morons, idiots and Sony ponies.

It's fine if you're fairly new to gaming, but anyone who has been watching/part of the hobby since the 90s and before, can see the same old patterns emerging.

LOL, I've been gaming since before you were born...

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
Week lineup for this month. Dont know why they had to lump Ghost of Tsushima pc in that list just to pad it. Pc isnt Playstation

Weak not week, and Sony is actively redefining what PlayStation means. Just as Disney redefined what Marvel means. The success of Sony and PlayStation no longer solely rely on how much consoles it sells and eventually it won't even rely as much on software sales either.

• haha
Reactions: xollowsob

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Weak not week, and Sony is actively redefining what PlayStation means. Just as Disney redefined what Marvel means. The success of Sony and PlayStation no longer solely rely on how much consoles it sells and eventually it won't even rely as much on software sales either.
Then they are idiots . Playstation is still a console and will always be viewed as that first before anything else regardless of how much they or others want to change that or ignore the fact that is what's primarily been for 25+ plus years and that's what everyone who has played on Playstation console knows it for: The console and games. Pc isnt going the brand on its back (if there is no console and they have zero mobile games released this gen

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
Then they are idiots . Playstation is still a console and will always be viewed as that first before anything else regardless of how much they or others want to change that or ignore the fact that is what's primarily been for 25+ plus years and that's what everyone who has played on Playstation console knows it for: The console and games. Pc isnt going the brand on its back (if there is no console and they have zero mobile games released this gen

Then they are idiots. Marvel is still comics and will always be viewed as that first before anything else regardless of how much they or others want to change that or ignore the fact that is what's primarily been for 60+ plus years and that's what everyone who has read marvel comics knows it for: The comics and cartoons. Movies aren't going to put the brand on its back.

Fixed?

• haha
Reactions: xollowsob

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
It depends on the variables, but it would take something monumental for that to happen. I'm willing to put up all my accounts across gaming forums that won't be the case though if you're all willing to do the same.
There are not variables. It won't hit 100 million by the time the PS6 launches.
Imagine betting forum accounts. I'll match your bet, sure, I have nowt to lose.

The lack of software is in your head. The price will drop. You apparently have been unaware of economic environments for the last 20+ years. The games market isn't really in decline comparative to pre-covid numbers launch aligned.
Lack of software is not in my head. It's a fact. Launch year PS5 was fire, since then it's been a shit show.
The games market is in decline, it makes less money now, adjusted for inflation and number of players than it has before.
LOL okay...
You think the Dreamcast killed Sega all on its own?

How many people do you think play GTA Online? Would you call them normies?
Yes. GTA has been a normies game since GTA4. How is that a question? You'd be shocked to find out that COD and FiFA are also normie games.
Do you think the Gameboy sold more in year 1 or more in the year Pokemon launched?
Gameboy? Why are you mentioning that?

LOL, I've been gaming since before you were born...
What year was I born? And this isn't the flex you think it is. Let's say you've been gaming since '94, launch of the PSX, you're really not paying attention if you believe what you believe.