Another PC flop: Until Dawn underperforms on Steam with 2.5k CCU at launch. Hermen flees the country

Is Sony going to recoup the total cost of the project with the PC sales?

• Yes

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Gabe and Phil are smiling as Sony kills itself

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The game is already dropping down to number 24 on Steam with a rating of 56% 😬

I don't think they will beat the peak because people were getting it early to review-bomb it and refund asap.

It's too early for estimates but it won't be pretty. 25k maybe? I will update the OP with the PC sales later.

Yeah we really need to keep track of the sales and how each game is doing in key metrics.

We should probably have a thread that has all of the PC releases and breaks them down into success / acceptable performance / failure categories, explaining why....

What do you guys think?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: quest4441

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I updated my previous posts to update the CCU record with the one it got last night, now is (added the SIE sames not published in PC by Sony too):
  1. Helldivers II 458,709
  2. Destiny 2 316,750
  3. GoT 77,154
  4. GoW 73,529
  5. Spider-Man 66,436
  6. HZD 56,557
  7. HFW 40,462
  8. TLOU 36,496
  9. GoWR 35,615
  10. Days Gone 27,450
  11. Spider-Man Morales 13,539
  12. Uncharted 10,851
  13. Ratchet 8,757
  14. Detroit: Become Human 8,222
  15. Helldivers 1 6,744
  16. Returnal 6,691
  17. Death Stranding 6,093
  18. Journey 3,313
  19. Until Dawn 2,607
  20. Guns up! 2,277
  21. Predator Hunting Ground 1,504
  22. Beyond: Two Souls 1,246
  23. Concord 697
  24. Heavy Rain 747
  25. Sackboy 610
  26. Flower 193
  27. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture 191
  28. Unfinished Swan 121
  29. Hohokum 24 (this is vert sad, this game is awesome)

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
I understand a PC release date, but it would have been better if they just released a port and a remastered for $30.

What people really want are: Resistance, Killzone, Bloodborne, Infamous remakes.
Seems to be a PC-exclusive problem. Until Dawn is at least number 5 in the PSN store for the best-selling games. It's currently ahead of Warhammer, for a price of €70, even though the PS4 version, which most people probably have, also runs on PS5. I also think the remake is superfluous for the price, but I'm a PS5 player and get every Sony game day 1 anyway. Some PC gamers who always claimed Sony could make a lot of extra money if they released day 1 on PC have looked pretty stupid in the last few weeks.

Incidentally, I don't think that remakes of Infamous, Resistance or even Killzone sell significantly better on PC or that people want them. The Crysis Remaster Collection didn't play a big role in sales, so how can series like Resistance or Killzone, which weren't that successful on PlayStation and weren't continued for that reason, achieve? When the last Resistance came out, many of those who are the target group today weren't even born yet, and the last Killzone is almost 11 years old. 11 years ago there was no Fortnite, Apex Legends or Warzone. At least now I don't really need an Infamous remake or a remaster collection. The problem is and remains that dozens of games are released every month. The Until Dawn remake can now compete with the Silent Hill 2 remake, there is also various new content for F2P games, a new extensive Atlus JRPG and the new Dragon Age is already in the starting blocks. Oh yes, then there is the HZD remaster, which nobody wanted, but is currently in 5th place for pre-orders.

In my opinion, console and PC players are simply different. PC players are used to getting a lot of things for free as a patch, Playstation players are happy to pay for games they liked to play them in the best possible quality. Nintendo players also buy ports, remasters or remakes at full price if they have to. I also believe that if Until Dawn had only been released for PS5, it would only have been released as a remaster. Since a PC port is a certain amount of work anyway and Until Dawn 2 will probably run on UE5, it was commissioned as a remake. That's probably why there will also be a Bloodborne remake instead of a simple remaster. The remake could then also be created together with From, but that's another story.

As I've been saying for weeks, the Lego Horizon game will probably decide whether and how Sony changes its PC strategy. If it gets little attention there, but sells well on Switch and Playstation, it's pretty pointless to sell major titles there on day 1 or to port titles at all. Spider-Man 2 will definitely be ported next year at the latest, but I have no idea what the plans will be. Sony is the only one with the annual sales and can better track whether PC or PS players switch systems with the PSN account requirement. If this tracking can now also be deactivated on the PC thanks to mods, in the end the only thing left is probably a separate launcher/store on the PC, and that means even fewer PC players will buy the ports and day 1 games, so Sony might as well just give up. I would voluntarily pay €10 more for every Sony title if they completely bury their PC "strategy". I have no problem with ports for other consoles, as they buy games (except for Xbox).

• haha
Reactions: Systemshock2023