Anybody else enjoy playing cinematic single player games on 30fps?

TygerTrip

17 Jul 2022
I played red dead 2 recently on PC and I have been playing at 30 fps. 60fps really takes the cinematic feel i guess, and honestly i would rather have better visuals. it also feels more like irl, especially in cutscenes. 60 fps is good for competitive multiplayer shooting games or fighting games where it's about movment and speed, but for single player cinematic games like the last of us, resident evil, etc.. i prefer 30 fps. Anybody else?
Hell no.

TygerTrip

17 Jul 2022
Wtf are you talking about... "handicap" LMAO 💀 so over-dramatic 💀 consistent 30 fps doesn't lag at all. Does it lag when you watch a movie 💀?? It only starts to lag noticeably if it dips below 25. visuals is what make the game look more beautiful not framerate. 💀
How the heck would a movie lag? Its not interactive. What do you think "lag" is?

TygerTrip

17 Jul 2022
You do realise movies are shot at 30 fps, right? If a game runs at 30 fps it feels more cinematic than playing at 60 fps. that's the purpose of these type of games, they are like movies. playing at 60 fps takes away the cinematic feel that i personally prefer while playing these type of games. for shooting multiplayer games and fighting games I prefer 60 fps Tho. It's just a personal preference.
You need to limit your framerate to 24 fps then, because movies are shot at 24 fps. Also, hope whatever game you are playing replicates camera-accurate motion blur.

• haha
Reactions: Vertigo

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
FPS ties directly to imput lag, so nah...

I mean I'm not a big "cinematic game" player anyways.. I'm a "skip most cutscenes unless they immediately grab me/seem interesting" type-a-guy.

I don't throw my PC/console in the trash if I'm playing a game at 30FPS or something but I shoot for 60FPS if it's the option.. for the most part when a game is in motion all the little extra graphical effects matter little anyways, I do like to stop to "smell the roses"/check out the graphics in games here or there, as I dig "atmosphere" of games, but for the most part not worth lowering the framerate that much.

Playing on console it's less important to me but when playing with a mouse lower framerates feel really off.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
How the heck would a movie lag? Its not interactive. What do you think "lag" is?
Sometimes the ping to Netflix servers is unbeatable!
Homer Simpson Thinking GIF

24 Jun 2022
Can't say I "prefer" it, but it's definitely not a problem for me, either. That's how I've been playing HFW and will be playing GOW Ragnarok, too.

Still though, these games should (and in the case of those two, do) provide 60 FPS options as well. It's time to make that standard, so I'm surprised when some people are still saying 30 FPS only is acceptable if the game's "big" enough (this has been something people have been doing for Starfield lately).

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Sorry, but wrong. Movies are shot at 24fps.

Movies are shot at 24fps.

Games are not movies, 30 fps is a compromise for 3d Games because consoles couldn't hold 60fps with the level of details or CPUs couldn't push enough of whatever to run the games at 60fps. Just like old 2d games did, since the old Atari 2600.

You can rationalize it all you want, yes it can still be tolerable when you need to.
You do realise movies are shot at 30 fps, right? If a game runs at 30 fps it feels more cinematic than playing at 60 fps. that's the purpose of these type of games, they are like movies. playing at 60 fps takes away the cinematic feel that i personally prefer while playing these type of games. for shooting multiplayer games and fighting games I prefer 60 fps Tho. It's just a personal preference.
Well, almost all movies are shot at 24fps. AFAIK some TV movies and some B films are shot like video in 50 or 60 fps depending on the continent they are being produced and where they are being screened, most are screened on TVs and hence the 50/60 divide but if they are being shown on the silver screen aka a theater release then they have to be re-edited to be shown at 24 fps by removing frames. Only film series I know that have been shot AND screened/shown at higher fps in select theaters (which was 48fps) was The Hobbit series.

BUT what you guys miss (perhaps because you don't know) is the importance of shutter angle for the movies being shot. The shutter angle (like shutter speed in still photography) determines the motion blur of the objects which is as important to the "cinematic feeling" that you guys refer to. And it is also the same thing and how exactly it is handled that gives that kind of look in games as well.
The primary reason that cinematographers adjust the shutter angle is to control the amount of motion blur that is recorded on each successive frame of film. A tight shutter angle will constrict motion blur. A wide shutter angle will allow it. A 180° shutter angle is considered normal.

So for instance, at 24 fps the "frame Interval" value is 0.04167 second ( = 1 / 24 ). Using an "exposure time" of 1/50 second gives a "shutter angle" value of 173°, very close to 180° (normal motion blur effect).

Tight shutters create a stuttering stop-motion animation look that has become popular in action and war films. In particular, tight shutters are used to capture particles flying through the air, such as dirt from an exploding mortar.
Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_disc_shutter

How dramatic a difference shutter angle can make the movie feel different can be best explained by Saving Private Ryan. https://cinemashock.org/2012/07/30/45-degree-shutter-in-saving-private-ryan/

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
BUT what you guys miss (perhaps because you don't know) is the importance of shutter angle for the movies being shot. The shutter angle (like shutter speed in still photography) determines the motion blur of the objects which is as important to the "cinematic feeling" that you guys refer to. And it is also the same thing and how exactly it is handled that gives that kind of look in games as well.
Thanks, I know all this, and despite the whole techno talk, all these arguments are irrelevant to the debate.

You can think that this is an argument because there are technical points being made.

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
Facts I agree with you, I’ve been playing all the cinematic games at 30 FPS even if I had the better options and/or powerful PC, I’ll just use all the power towards higher resolution, graphics & Ray tracing.

kaluas

3 Oct 2022
Wrong. There's a reason why movies are 24fps, for example.

Not to say games need to follow that formula, but framerate does impact the visual qualities of media. You can actually see by how much when modern tvs simulate 60fps and movies look like cheap soap operas with those modes enabled.

I'll rephrase that cause you misinterpreted me. There is nothing "cinematic" about 30fps or any fps *in gaming*. For example the majority of games on PS1 run on 20-30 fps, nearly none of them can be characterized as cinematic, if any. The term "cinematic" in gaming isn't tied with refresh rates, or even resolutions.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Thanks, I know all this, and despite the whole techno talk, all these arguments are irrelevant to the debate.

You can think that this is an argument because there are technical points being made.
It's actually not irrelevant. MOTION BLUR and how it is handled in game engine is precisely what sets the games' presentations apart, making them more cinematic even at 30fps or 60fps.

OP
OP
Oogabooga

Oogabooga

16 Jul 2022
There is hardly any input lag anymore in AAA gaming LMAO. what's this 2010? So overrated, even if there, 0.1 seconds of delay is hardly relevant in single player games. 🙄

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
That's oversimplifying it to say the least. Higher framerates do not guarantee a lower input lag. You can have a game that renders at 120fps, but with a high input lag.
exactly. 30 vs 60 is only 16ms difference.... and whole system + monitor lag is often 50-100ms. So fps alone is only a part of it

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I play games in black and white and muted to get the classic silent era of film feel. Charlie Chaplin fan here…

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
That's oversimplifying it to say the least. Higher framerates do not guarantee a lower input lag. You can have a game that renders at 120fps, but with a high input lag.
It's not oversimplifying it at all.

If you play the same game at 60FPS, you will get better input lag than if you play the same game at 30FPS. Why would we ever be comparing 2 totally different games in these scenarios? lol

The OP is about playing a game on PC at 30 when the user generally has the choice for 60, and that is true of many high end console games as well these days.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
D

Deleted member 13

If you play the same game at 60FPS, you will get better input lag than if you play the same game at 30FPS. Why would we ever be comparing 2 totally different games in these scenarios? lol
It's a little of both. Framerate, Input Lag and Network lag all have to do with a smooth experience playing a game.

D

Deleted member 13

Ok?

Kind of a "no shit" comment isn't it? lol (other than bringing up network lag, since nobody was talking about online gaming here)
You don't have to be rude about it. I'm saying that he is right and you are right.