Apple Sued by DOJ for Illegal Monopoly over Smartphones

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department on Thursday announced a sweeping antitrust lawsuit against Apple, accusing the tech giant of engineering an illegal monopoly in smartphones that boxes out competitors and stifles innovation.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in New Jersey, alleges that Apple has monopoly power in the smartphone market and uses its control over the iPhone to “engage in a broad, sustained, and illegal course of conduct.”

The lawsuit — which was also filed with 16 state attorneys general — is the latest example of the Justice Department’s approach to aggressive enforcement of federal antitrust law that officials say is aimed at ensuring a fair and competitive market, even as it has lost some significant anticompetition cases.

Apple called the lawsuit “wrong on the facts and the law” and said it “will vigorously defend against it.”

President Joe Biden has called for the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission to vigorously enforce antitrust statutes. The increased policing of corporate mergers and business deals has been met with resistance from some business leaders who have said the Democratic administration is overreaching, but it’s been lauded by others as long overdue.

The case is taking direct aim at the digital fortress that Apple Inc., based in Cupertino, California, has assiduously built around the iPhone and other popular products such as the iPad, Mac and Apple Watch to create what is often referred to as a “walled garden” so its meticulously designed hardware and software can seamlessly flourish together while requiring consumers to do little more than turn the devices on.

The strategy has helped make Apple the world’s most prosperous company, with annual revenue of nearly $400 billion and, until recently, a market value of more than $3 trillion. But Apple’s shares have fallen by 7% this year even as most of the stock market has climbed to new highs, resulting in long-time rival Microsoft — a target of a major Justice Department antitrust case a quarter-century ago — to seize the mantle as the world’s most valuable company.

Apple said the lawsuit, if successful, would “hinder our ability to create the kind of technology people expect from Apple — where hardware, software, and services intersect” and would “set a dangerous precedent, empowering government to take a heavy hand in designing people’s technology.”

“At Apple, we innovate every day to make technology people love — designing products that work seamlessly together, protect people’s privacy and security, and create a magical experience for our users,” the company said in a statement. “This lawsuit threatens who we are and the principles that set Apple products apart in fiercely competitive markets.

Apple has defended the walled garden as an indispensable feature prized by consumers who want the best protection available for their personal information. It has described the barrier as a way for the iPhone to distinguish itself from devices running on Google’s Android software, which isn’t as restrictive and is licensed to a wide range of manufacturers.

Fears about an antitrust crackdown on Apple’s business model have contributed to the drop in the company’s stock price, along with concerns that it is lagging Microsoft and Google in the push to develop products powered by artificial intelligence technology.

But antitrust regulators made it clear in their complaint that they see Apple’s walled garden most as a weapon to ward off competition, creating market conditions that enable it to charge higher prices that have propelled its lofty profit margins while stifling innovation.

“Consumers should not have to pay higher prices because companies violate the antitrust laws,” Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement. “We allege that Apple has maintained monopoly power in the smartphone market, not simply by staying ahead of the competition on the merits, but by violating federal antitrust law. If left unchallenged, Apple will only continue to strengthen its smartphone monopoly.”

With the attempt to rein in Apple’s dominance, the Biden administration is escalating an antitrust siege that has already triggered lawsuits against Google and Amazon accusing them in engaging in illegal tactics to thwart competition, as well as unsuccessful attempts to block acquisitions by Microsoft and Facebook parent Meta Platforms.

Apple’s business interests are also entangled in the Justice Department’s case against Google, which went to trial last fall and is headed toward final arguments scheduled to begin May 1 in Washington, D.C. In that case, regulators are alleging Google has stymied competition by paying for the rights for its already dominant online search engine to be the automatic place to handle queries on the iPhone and a variety of web browsers in an arrangement that generates an estimated $15 billion to $20 billion annually.

Now that the Justice Department is mounting a direct attack across its business, Apple stands to lose even more.

The Justice Department is following up an other recent attempts to force Apple to change the way it runs the iPhone and other parts of its business.

Epic Games, the maker of the popular Fortnite video game, filed an antitrust lawsuit against Apple in 2020 in an effort break down the barriers protecting the iPhone App Store and a lucrative payment system operating within it. Apple has long collected commissions ranging from 15% to 30% on digital transactions completed within apps, a setup that Epic alleged was enabled by an illegal monopoly that drives up prices for consumers.

After a monthlong trial in 2021, a federal judge ruled mostly in favor of Apple with the exception of deciding that links to competing payment options should be permitted inside of iPhone apps. Apple unsuccessfully resisted that portion of the ruling until the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear an appeal in January, forcing the company to relent. But the concessions that Apple made to comply with the ruling are still facing a “bad faith” challenge from Epic, which is seeking an April 30 hearing to ask U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers to order more changes.

Apple also had to open up the iPhone to allow apps to be downloaded and installed from competing stores in Europe to comply with a new set of regulators called the Digital Markets Act, or DMA, earlier this month but its approach is being pilloried by critics as little more than an end-around the rules that will enable it to continue to muscle out real competition. European Union regulators already have vowed to crack down on Apple if it finds the company’s tactics continue to thwart true consumer choice.

All of this comes on top of a $2 billion (1.8 billion euro) fine that European regulators slapped on Apple earlier this month after concluding that the company had undermined competition in the music streaming through the iPhone, despite Spotify being the leader in that market.

Reactions: anonpuffs

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Have other another manufacturers attempt to create a device that work first before talking about monopoly.

My country has a overwhelmingly major iPhone marketshare and the next one is Google. These guys giving out price cut like candy to students who buying one of those and those phones are worse than shits, literal scams.

Constantly losing connection in the middle of a dense city is something else. Imagine trying get the late train home and get mugged because you don't have signal to find station. They are making a very good case to stick to iPhone, like a phone with functional phone features, how hard could it be.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Have other another manufacturers attempt to create a device that work first before talking about monopoly.

My country has a overwhelmingly major iPhone marketshare and the next one is Google. These guys giving out price cut like candy to students who buying one of those and those phones are worse than shits, literal scams.

Constantly losing connection in the middle of a dense city is something else. Imagine trying get the late train home and get mugged because you don't have signal to find station. They are making a very good case to stick to iPhone, like a phone with functional phone features, how hard could it be.
People just but iPhones because they're the 'cool' phone to have apple does rip people off but it there own fault for being sheep & always buying them lol

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
People just but iPhones because they're the 'cool' phone to have apple does rip people off but it there own fault for being sheep & always buying them lol
It just works.

If you buy Android phones for older and teenagers, expect to spend time fixing problems.
(Also you can control usage time for the latter)
Also warrenty is much better. You only have to at least a week, with other phones, at least a month lol.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It just works.

If you buy Android phones for older and teenagers, expect to spend time fixing problems.
(Also you can control usage time for the latter)
Also warrenty is much better. You only have to at least a week, with other phones, at least a month lol.
I don't like ios I'm 45 and have bought android all my life. I don't even really like macs although thy are quality. Android were usually a step ahead in features and then iphones would come later and implement those features. Galaxy's have lasted me very long and I have no complaints.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I don't like ios I'm 45 and have bought android all my life. I don't even really like macs although thy are quality. Android were usually a step ahead in features and then iphones would come later and implement those features. Galaxy's have lasted me very long and I have no complaints.
I mean Apple devices are too wallgardened. I don't like iphones because they takes like 5 full animations to navigate to something and they don't even have a back gesture. I recently buy one of those expensive Sony phone(usually I think it is a joke) but the SD card slot is nice. Don't need to bring my camera anymore since I usually put different SD card for different purposes. You know, stuff that samsung removed? And they add 400 different "advanced features" nobody gonna use like 5 cameras on the back. Look like a fucking electric stove. If they don't add stupid features and improve reliability while taking away stuff microSD card slot, I think they improve their shares.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I mean Apple devices are too wallgardened. I don't like iphones because they takes like 5 full animations to navigate to something and they don't even have a back gesture. I recently buy one of those expensive Sony phone(usually I think it is a joke) but the SD card slot is nice. Don't need to bring my camera anymore since I usually put different SD card for different purposes. You know, stuff that samsung removed?

Also Samsung have like 5 cameras on the back. Look like a fucking electric stove. If they don't add stupid features and improve reliability while taking away stuff microSD card slot, I think they improve their shares. But they don't they that deep so yea.
Hated tht they took away SD additional storage, I agree 100% thts why I have an older version.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
There was a time iPhones were better than the competition. That time ended about around the iPhone 5s, which was a banger of a phone.

I fully agree with you by the way, I just had a colleague finally move out of apple's ecosystem because it simply doesn't just work anymore and he's finally realising that it's not even good anymore, nevermind that good.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
There was a time iPhones were better than the competition. That time ended about around the iPhone 5s, which was a banger of a phone.

I fully agree with you by the way, I just had a colleague finally move out of apple's ecosystem because it simply doesn't just work anymore and he's finally realising that it's not even good anymore, nevermind that good.
Last I phone I had was 5s aswell lol I've still got it somewhere actually lol

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023

Nah mate, it was the complete opposite.

Pre-2014 iPhone have somewhat of a stiff competition on premium market. They have like Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC making bigger screen, same efficiency, more advanced features and much much better battery.

Then Snapdragon 810 happened, Apple A series chip just got ways more advanced, Samsung followed Apple footsteps to wallgarden their devices, Google stepped in with OK but problems ridden devices. Other manufactures like Sony, LG leaves marketshare to Chinese manufactures that offer cheap but bloated devices

Apple offers bigger screen, more efficient chip, better battery and OLED screens. They also managed to cut cord, popularized wireless earphones. Premium devices nowadays is de facto iPhones since they worth that much money, Android spaces just imploded and have to take the lower options shares. Stuff like Face ID and AirPods kinda changed the game. Also they jacked up the price to 1000 USD and nobody complained.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Nah mate, it was the complete opposite.

Pre-2014 iPhone have somewhat of a stiff competition on premium market. They have like Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC making bigger screen, same efficiency, more advanced features and much much better battery.

Then Snapdragon 810 happened, Apple A series chip just got ways more advanced, Samsung followed Apple footsteps to wallgarden their devices, Google stepped in with OK but problems ridden devices. Other manufactures like Sony, LG leaves marketshare to Chinese manufactures that offer cheap but bloated devices

Apple offers bigger screen, more efficient chip, better battery and OLED screens. They also managed to cut cord, popularized wireless earphones. Premium devices nowadays is de facto iPhones since they worth that much money, Android spaces just imploded and have to take the lower options shares. Stuff like Face ID and AirPods kinda changed the game. Also they jacked up the price to 1000 USD and nobody complained.
Does anyone really care about how powerful the chip in a phone is , unless you're gaming on your phone it's pointless

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Does anyone really care about how powerful the chip in a phone is , unless you're gaming on your phone it's pointless
Well it is pretty important in Asian market.

Efficiency is more important, which Apple A chip excels. Phones should not become an oven over basic task like light web usage or video calling. Every android phones I used have suffered from the latter and my wife's iPhones never have that problem.

Same for connectivity, Google and Samsung phones(in Europe) have shit modem so that gonna screw users over.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Well it is pretty important in Asian market.

Efficiency is more important, which Apple A chip excels. Phones should not become an oven over basic task like light web usage or video calling. Every android phones I used have suffered from the latter and my wife's iPhones never have that problem.

Same for connectivity, Google and Samsung phones(in Europe) have shit modem so that gonna screw users over.
No one uses modems anymore lol

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I am pretty sure no one gives a shit
I mean if you look at iPhone marketshare, it is pretty clear that people gives a shit.

Just look up Google Pixel/Samsung lose signals report. No phones cost that much should behave that way.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I mean if you look at iPhone marketshare, it is pretty clear that people gives a shit.

Just look up Google Pixel/Samsung lose signals report. No phones cost that much should behave that way.
They don't give a shit about the modem they've just been hoodwinked into buying them every year because they're the most fashionable accessory 🤣

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
They don't give a shit about the modem they've just been hoodwinked into buying them every year because they're the most fashionable accessory 🤣
I meant some do, but don't you think most people buy iPhone because it works whenever they need, and it well worth the money?

A 799USD phone is not a fashion accessory. It doesn't attach a diamond into it.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Much cheaper phones work & do everything you need them to
An iPhone is not that expensive.

The cheapest option of 15 is like half of monthly income of a average person in first world countries.

They just want a reliable phone that can be used for 3-4 years, and can be easily fixed when problems occured. An hour out-of-signal over important works can lose them much more.

It is not that hard to understand why iPhones are popular. Muh brainwashed, muh fashions.

• haha