Apple Sued by DOJ for Illegal Monopoly over Smartphones

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
An iPhone is not that expensive.

The cheapest option of 15 is like half of monthly income of a average person in first world countries.

They just want a reliable phone that can be used for 3-4 years, and can be easily fixed when problems occured. An hour out-of-signal over important works can lose them much more.

It is not that hard to understand why iPhones are popular. Muh brainwashed, muh fashions.
Who wants to buy an Iphone that's not the latest at full price

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Who wants to buy an Iphone that's not the latest at full price
Whatever you say man.

Pretty much the fact is iPhone is a brand that is reliable and therefore popular and not some sort of luxary culty brand.

It just phone, for crying out loud.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I've got a blackberry from 10+ years ago & 6 android phones they all work don't act like apple is reliable 😂
I mean you posted here that you got no contacts and I empathized you for that but the silver lining here is that you probably use your phone more on Wifi and charge whenever you can.

On real case usage outside, iPhone just ways more reliable than Android phones.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Apple offers bigger screen, more efficient chip, better battery and OLED screens. They also managed to cut cord, popularized wireless earphones. Premium devices nowadays is de facto iPhones since they worth that much money, Android spaces just imploded and have to take the lower options shares. Stuff like Face ID and AirPods kinda changed the game. Also they jacked up the price to 1000 USD and nobody complained.
All I hear from my circle of friends is more and more people moving out of the iPhone space, not in. And the things you listed are years old. Apple hasn't really introduced anything new to the game, meanwhile other devices have had under the screen fingerprint and camera, among many other things. Their chip is great, sure, but that's it. Their screens are Samsung and not the best, their memory is Samsung and not the best, their camera sensors are not the best, nothing in an iPhone is the best anymore.

On reliability in Apple devices, I can only say that in my experience they are trash. That's my experience though.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
All I hear from my circle of friends is more and more people moving out of the iPhone space, not in. And the things you listed are years old. Apple hasn't really introduced anything new to the game, meanwhile other devices have had under the screen fingerprint and camera, among many other things. Their chip is great, sure, but that's it. Their screens are Samsung and not the best, their memory is Samsung and not the best, their camera sensors are not the best, nothing in an iPhone is the best anymore.

On reliability in Apple devices, I can only say that in my experience they are trash. That's my experience though.
Eh Samsung OLED panels on iPhone are one of two best OLED panels offered on smartphones, high brightness and great color balance, only trailed by Samsung having DC local dimmings, with does not mean much.

Sony's phones offer the best CMOS sensors on their phones, which will be used on iPhones.1 or 2 years later since Xperia acts more like a testbed for CMOSs. Good sensors does not mean anything if software is bad. And beside from that that Samsung and other using inferior ISOCELL CMOS that gives iPhone much advantages.

Everybody use either Samsung/Micron/SK Hynix for LPDDR memory so it does not mean much. iPhones also use same NVME storage as Macbook compared to UFS that most Android phones use, that is like 4 times speed.

Also Face ID is mostly better than fingerprint sensors after a jog your finger getting sweaty anyway.

So nowadays Android phones does not have anything worth over iPhone anymore. Mediocre phones costing premium price with subpar build qualities and removing features like SD card slot and 3.5mm headphone jack(bar Sony)

Something very you forget to mention, Google and Samsung(bar North America, China and Japan)use Exynos chip for their phones, which includes a garbage modem that lose signals constantly. This have been reported every year, they are literally selling garbage for premium prices.

Europeans are paying for garbage at higher price than other countries always make me feel funny.

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Something very you forget to mention, Google and Samsung(bar North America, China and Japan)use Exynos chip for their phones, which includes a garbage modem that lose signals constantly. This have been reported every year, they are literally selling garbage for premium prices.
Damn, I must have missed those defective exynos chips in all my Samsung phones. There have been 5 in this household and not one loses signal. On the contrary, the device that I needed to fuck around with network settings was my Mac, and it still has issues. Must have one of those magical exynos chips.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Damn, I must have missed those defective exynos chips in all my Samsung phones. There have been 5 in this household and not one loses signal. On the contrary, the device that I needed to fuck around with network settings was my Mac, and it still has issues. Must have one of those magical exynos chips.

A couple of search not that hard, expensive premium phone btw...

By the way, I have never seen your problem reported with Mac except for butterfly keyboard, hot Intel chip. All solved now I guess.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

By the way, I have never seen your problem reported with Mac except for butterfly keyboard, hot Intel chip. All solved now I guess.
Google pixels are alot cheaper than iPhones they aren't premium they're mid range

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Google pixels are alot cheaper than iPhones they aren't premium they're mid range
Cool cool.

Pixel 8:
iPhone 15:

That 4% difference is between mid-range and premium though. Build quality of iphone just make Pixel look like toys.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Pixel 8 in the UK £600 , iPhone 15 £900
Eh I check and google store is like on sale or something. Is it worldwide?

But I looked up iPhone and price is $799/£799/€899/€949

Why is European prices always so expensive lol. I think PS5 is like close to 600 EURs or something.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

I can find hundreds of not thousands of reports of issues with apple devices, you do know that those links prove nada right?

My intel chip Mac has been retired because it was trash. Work gave me an M1 pro, I had everything from kernel panics to apps crashing to keyboard issues within 6 months. It's more stable now but the battery is trash.

My S22 is fantastic, the S10 I gave away is still running strong, and this year I'll probably get the S24. Zero issues with Samsung devices other than a tablet that my ex let the battery run to zero and left it for a year, battery died as modern batteries really don't like that.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I can find hundreds of not thousands of reports of issues with apple devices, you do know that those links prove nada right?

My intel chip Mac has been retired because it was trash. Work gave me an M1 pro, I had everything from kernel panics to apps crashing to keyboard issues within 6 months. It's more stable now but the battery is trash.

My S22 is fantastic, the S10 I gave away is still running strong, and this year I'll probably get the S24. Zero issues with Samsung devices other than a tablet that my ex let the battery run to zero and left it for a year, battery died as modern batteries really don't like that.
They were also fined for pushing updates to older devices that purposely slowed them down to encourage people to upgrade to the newer models absolutely disgusting company up there with Microsoft

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They were also fined for pushing updates to older devices that purposely slowed them down to encourage people to upgrade to the newer models absolutely disgusting company up there with Microsoft
I'm just going to say that many years ago apple released a certain update to a certain phone that killed the WiFi on it. If you managed to get back to the previous iOS either during the very early server sign period or via jailbreak the WiFi would resume work. If you couldn't, no troubleshooting would fix it.

This happened when that device was just over 2 year on the market and it wasn't that talked about.

You also have the Nvidia macs that apple denied self cooking their graphics cards until mandated by court to cover it under warranty. Or the butterfly keyboards that were obviously being used wrong until they weren't.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023

S22 the phone that last like 3 hours? Mind you my region was using Snapdragon, imagine using that shit chip as Exynos.

And then you complain about Mac ARM battery, what world are you on?

My Mac M2 Air has been running full stop for like 2 years, that shit has no fan mind you. I could go to construction site for like 5-hour running AutoCAD, MatLAB and still on to plug in. 240 cycles still have like 86% capacity, amazing isn't it? I spilled water on it twice.

The only complain I have is they put that stupid cutout look so stupid on a laptop, but it works well so nah.

You seem to live in a very very different world than me though.

Also S24 getting Exynos shit again lol, us Japanese having strong mmWave coverage meaning they don't dare to use that garbage modem here, but Google does appearently

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I'm just going to say that many years ago apple released a certain update to a certain phone that killed the WiFi on it. If you managed to get back to the previous iOS either during the very early server sign period or via jailbreak the WiFi would resume work. If you couldn't, no troubleshooting would fix it.

This happened when that device was just over 2 year on the market and it wasn't that talked about.

You also have the Nvidia macs that apple denied self cooking their graphics cards until mandated by court to cover it under warranty. Or the butterfly keyboards that were obviously being used wrong until they weren't.
Or that time where they dropped support or for their expensive folding screens phone.

Or their customer service will refuse to fix the blue tinted screen issues that plague their premium phone lineups.

Or that time where they make fun of a company for removing charger off package and proceed to do the same thing.

Or when they promised to upgrade their tablet lineup for 3 years then stop at 2.

Or they ignore Knox lock on a certain phone model that could brick their device.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I always find Samsung to be some sort of Apple copycat, except they sucks at it.

Samsung fanboys probably one of the most masochistic kind out their.

Nix the 3.5mm, made fun of them then do the same shit.

They mocked the stupid cutout on iPhones, which is pretty stupid, then put the exact the stuff on their tablet.

They mocked Apple UI and navigation gestures. Then they proceed to remove the bar and then copy the exact same setup. They even design the UI/UX to be as much like Apple as possible

They mocked Apple for the charger, well thar shit is gone too.

Their in-house chips has always been shit, only justified by their equally shit Silicon Foundry.

How much of a lowlife copycat can you be. At least be like Sony, still have SD slot, still have 3.5mm slot. But I guess forcing user to buy expensive storage upgrade and wireless headphones is better than.

What is even the point of buying a Samsung phone if it is just a shit Apple copycat, costs the same prices. Just buy the real thing.

Copycat behavior probably a nationality thing.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I always find Samsung to be some sort of Apple copycat, except they sucks at it.

Samsung fanboys probably one of the most masochistic kind out their.

Nix the 3.5mm, made fun of them then do the same shit.

They mocked the stupid cutout on iPhones, which is pretty stupid, then put the exact the stuff on their tablet.

They mocked Apple UI and navigation gestures. Then they proceed to remove the bar and then copy the exact same setup. They even design the UI/UX to be as much like Apple as possible

They mocked Apple for the charger, well thar shit is gone too.

Their in-house chips has always been shit, only justified by their equally shit Silicon Foundry.

How much of a lowlife copycat can you be. At least be like Sony, still have SD slot, still have 3.5mm slot. But I guess forcing user to buy expensive storage upgrade and wireless headphones is better than.

What is even the point of buying a Samsung phone if it is just a shit Apple copycat, costs the same prices. Just buy the real thing.

Copycat behavior probably a nationality thing.
Samsung was founded 39 years before apple how are they copy cats 🤣