Apples AR/VR headset to be unveiled at WWDC23 Monday June 5th, 2023

D

Deleted member 417

• £2400/$3000 price tag
  • Mixture of AR and VR
  • Has an external battery
  • Users have to connect headset to external battery using a cable
  • "redefine our digital and physical realities and propel us into a future where the extraordinary becomes the everyday".
DoA

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
This device is targeting developers. Will be far from DOA. It’s goal is to help build the eco system for future, consumer friendly devices.

D

Deleted member 417

This device is targeting developers. Will be far from DOA. It’s goal is to help build the eco system for future, consumer friendly devices.
The oculus Dk2 is 10 years old. Where have apple been?

Reactions: Gamernyc78
D

Deleted member 417

Waiting for the technology to mature.
Waiting for the technology to mature so they can build their ecosystem for the future?
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Compared to other headsets, it seems like they actually have invented it. Its 20x brighter than Psvr2

Costs how much?

Also Apple VR is using Sony Micro LED displays if leaks are to be believed.

EightC

11 Jul 2022
It's a nice looking device but like many of these showcases and not just Apple it's all pie in the sky idea stuff and nothing they've shown is new, most VR devices can do this stuff already and the stuff they're showing it can do is pretty basic functions the hother headsets have already. I'm sure Apple will have a high quality device but I fail to see most people or even companies having people walking around with these things on their head collaborating when a PC is right in front of them and far easier to use. If anyone has tried VR you know how cumbersome doing things with your hands or controllers is not efficient. $3500 is ridiculous for what this thing offers but hey I'm sure most people will enjoy their own personal movie theaters lol.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
All this it's for developer talk but if you look at some websites talking about it there acting as if it's going to push vr from being niche to mainstream. This isn't it! And definitely not at that pricepoint!!

EightC

11 Jul 2022
All this it's for developer talk but if you look at some websites talking about it there acting as if it's going to push vr from being niche to mainstream. This isn't it! And definitely not at that pricepoint!!
IMO it's not really VR though because with everything they showed nothing was really immersive like taking you into a world for you to interact with. It's more AR than anything but you're right I was watchign a second stream from a Apple streamer and his audience and himself were acting like this was the biggest innovation we've seen in years lol. The price is ridiculous but sadly I can see it selling out no problem Apple fans are pretty die hard. I think the hard challenge is without controllers how will you be able to deliver an immersive experience because hand gesture technology in this space just isn't there yet and really with Apple arcade all you're really doing is emulating a virtual screen to play games.

I will say though I would find it interesting to actually try this in an environment where others around you all had one and were actually using it like they are showing off in their concepts of what you can do because I do wonder what it would be like and how effective it would be.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
IMO it's not really VR though because with everything they showed nothing was really immersive like taking you into a world for you to interact with. It's more AR than anything but you're right I was watchign a second stream from a Apple streamer and his audience and himself were acting like this was the biggest innovation we've seen in years lol. The price is ridiculous but sadly I can see it selling out no problem Apple fans are pretty die hard. I think the hard challenge is without controllers how will you be able to deliver an immersive experience because hand gesture technology in this space just isn't there yet and really with Apple arcade all you're really doing is emulating a virtual screen to play games.

I will say though I would find it interesting to actually try this in an environment where others around you all had one and were actually using it like they are showing off in their concepts of what you can do because I do wonder what it would be like and how effective it would be.
Isn't it literally a VR headset tho? I think AR has been generally assumed to be a transparent film/screen that is also a digital display. The Vision Pro is not that. It's a VR headset with (hopefully a few gens ahead) camera pass through. They didn't show a lot of AR applications, particularly out of the house. For example, an AR use-case is GTA-style bread crumbs that guide you to a product in a store. Most of what they showed was media and productivity based.

D

Deleted member 417

For those who want the skinny

• STARTS AT $3500
  • 2 hour battery life
  • External battery and cable
  • No controllers, motion detection only.

No games, high price a cable and no PC compatibility. I can't wait to be told how this apple VR is the future by the same people who said psvr2 is dead in the water.

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
For those who want the skinny

• STARTS AT $3500
  • 2 hour battery life
  • External battery and cable
  • No controllers, motion detection only.

No games, high price a cable and no PC compatibility. I can't wait to be told how this apple VR is the future by the same people who said psvr2 is dead in the water.
Because VR will go mainstream outside of video games. Apple is marketing this as computing, not gaming.

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023

Interested to hear some actual impressions. Can’t see myself getting this though. Probably gen 2 or 3.

EightC

11 Jul 2022
Isn't it literally a VR headset tho? I think AR has been generally assumed to be a transparent film/screen that is also a digital display. The Vision Pro is not that. It's a VR headset with (hopefully a few gens ahead) camera pass through. They didn't show a lot of AR applications, particularly out of the house. For example, an AR use-case is GTA-style bread crumbs that guide you to a product in a store. Most of what they showed was media and productivity based.
Possibly, I guess I always classified AR as looking through a lens that has things displayed in the real world (kind of like the Google glasses) where VR is closed off like a fake world that you get immersed in. I guess it's a grey area but Tim did call it an AR device at the start so I guess who knows it's still kind of early and it'll be interesting to see what else they bring to it. I will be interested in seeing if they do anything with games, I mean right now it's basically like playing an apple arcade game on a screen in your headset and I will be interested to see if they could pull a game off like the competitors are offering without controllers.