April NPD (Circana): PS5 #1 in dollar sales, switch #1 in units

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
The assertion that Series X is supply-constrained just doesn't hold any water. You would hear news reports about TSMC having problems in filling orders for the SoC, or some other critical part of the parts list.

What's far likelier is that retailers are keeping lower stock levels of the X pending Microsoft releasing some marketing funds to clear the mountains of S stock as a condition, or that they are just seeing low demand and adjusting their stocks accordingly.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Being respectful is very different from pretending to fall for the most blatant deception. To insist on easily disprovable false narratives is very disrespectful to everyone.

The whole narrative of Xbox Series X suffering from meaningful supply issues doesn't hold any water and is pure cope by someone who just can't accept that the Series isn't nearly as popular as his gut feeling had him believe it would be.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Calm it down please people, personal insults is a big no-no, please don't escalate the situation further.

Happy Brady Bunch GIF by Laff

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Being respectful is very different from pretending to fall for the most blatant deception. To insist on easily disprovable false narratives is very disrespectful to everyone.

The whole narrative of Xbox Series X suffering from meaningful supply issues doesn't hold any water and is pure cope by someone who just can't accept that the Series isn't nearly as popular as his gut feeling had him believe it would be.
I'm just waiting for Phil to say something about it, otherwise how can someone come to this conclusion?

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Wow such demand for a product that’s been in stock for awhile now

Green rats never learn.

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom
24 Jun 2022
@Welfare XSX only sold 10-11 mil units which is wii u like bad.

Less than that, actually. I'll keep bringing up my own estimate for EOY 2022 for Xbox Series: ~ 17.8 million top end. Did calculate a specific figure and range with reasons for the number but it's in way older posts I don't have the time ATM to go search.

Even though they aren't very credible (IMO), VGChartz did give sales estimates for the three systems. Currently they have Xbox Series at 1.89 million for the year up to end of April. It's tracking at OG Xbox levels and if it keeps this pace, will only sell 5.67 million for the entire year. For reference, OG Xbox's 2003 saw it sell 5.7 million units.

So yeah, Starfield really needs to be a big hit because MS need some real momentum to start shifting hardware numbers upwards again. Even so, Starfield also being on PC Day 1 and being in Game Pass (and Game Pass being on pretty much everything outside of kitchen appliances) will nullify a good chunk of the impact it otherwise would have had in generating bigger hardware sales.

And before people go "but MS doesn't need consoles!", no they clearly still do. That's where the bulk of their gaming revenue is coming from, between hardware, software and peripheral sales, that's even amid declining software sales BTW. And Game Pass numbers both in subscribers and revenue aren't anywhere near enough to offset Xbox hardware decline that we're seeing.

IMO, Xbox could be on track for the end of this year to reach sales of under 24 million, but at least slightly above 23 million. Moving under 24 million units sold-through within 3 years on the market is just extremely bad. Granted they may see a boost in the holiday season, but how much of that they get is going to rest a lot on Starfield. MS can't count on the ABK acquisition giving them a boost because at the very least it won't get approved this year. They have no other big 1P titles besides Forza, which isn't a system seller. They have no big 3P exclusives, and very little in way of big 3P marketing deals. Maybe they get a marketing deal for Persona 3 Remake, but I don't think it'll have too big an impact on hardware sales until closer to the game's release and it could release late this year or slip into 2024.

So let's say normally for November & December MS sees a 50% hardware boost. Okay, so (1.89 million / 4 = 472.5K * 2 = 945K * 1.5 =) 1.417 million between those two months, and that four-month period in total they do 2.36 million. Let's say Starfield is a big hit and the showcase TRULY delivers, maybe it gives them a max 20% boost in the last 3rd of the year, and a 15% boost for July and August. Now that's 2.835 million (Sept-Dec), and 1.086 million (Jul-Aug). The whole year is still just 6.756 million; that's slightly more than OG Xbox's 2004 (~ 6.2 million), but not by much, and that's both OG Xbox and Xbox Series's respective 3rd years on the market. Even if you take Ampere's 20.5 million EOY 2022 estimate (I personally think it was at best 17.8 million), it only brings Xbox's lifetime total to 27.256 million. That's slightly ahead of XBO, so they'd be tracking ahead of at least that again, but still tracking behind 360 (28 million by EOY 2008, its 3rd year).

However, I personally think that number would be closer to 24.556 million EOY 2023, so IMO even with a best-case turnaround in Xbox Series sales for the rest of the year, they still end up tracking behind both XBO and especially 360. But at least it would be an improvement, and could start a longer trend of further improving hardware sales into 2024 but only if they keep delivering on the big 1P AAA games, do stronger marketing, more 3P marketing deals and better brand optics & messaging.

Unfortunately for them since there's a good chance they continue to pursue & focus on the ABK acquisition going into the rest of this year and 2024, they'll be "distracted" and none of this has any real chance of coming to fruition.

EDIT: As for XSX ratio, well it's commonly said it's a 60:40 split in favor of the S, right? Well even with Ampere's numbers and the current VGChartz numbers XSX would probably at most be around 8.9 million, but I suspect it's less than that.

Even with a best-case scenario of sales uptick for the rest of the year, lifetime Series X would be between 9.8 million - 10.9 million; depends on if you take my 17.8 million EOY 2022 XBS number at face-value or take Ampere's 20.5 million. Which, again, I personally doubt, partly because that would have placed Xbox Series ahead of XBO and I think an official statement of that would've been mentioned around the time of their investors call in January to soften bad hardware sales news.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
God of War bundle is very popular at $499 rather than the $559MSRP price. As it should be. Last generation we didn’t have to pay for games when they were bundled.

Went right back to the top ten on Amazon.

Xbox is down in the 30’s. Not a very high wanted product as we’ve been saying.

Reactions: Cool hand luke

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Less than that, actually. I'll keep bringing up my own estimate for EOY 2022 for Xbox Series: ~ 17.8 million top end. Did calculate a specific figure and range with reasons for the number but it's in way older posts I don't have the time ATM to go search.

Even though they aren't very credible (IMO), VGChartz did give sales estimates for the three systems. Currently they have Xbox Series at 1.89 million for the year up to end of April. It's tracking at OG Xbox levels and if it keeps this pace, will only sell 5.67 million for the entire year. For reference, OG Xbox's 2003 saw it sell 5.7 million units.

So yeah, Starfield really needs to be a big hit because MS need some real momentum to start shifting hardware numbers upwards again. Even so, Starfield also being on PC Day 1 and being in Game Pass (and Game Pass being on pretty much everything outside of kitchen appliances) will nullify a good chunk of the impact it otherwise would have had in generating bigger hardware sales.

And before people go "but MS doesn't need consoles!", no they clearly still do. That's where the bulk of their gaming revenue is coming from, between hardware, software and peripheral sales, that's even amid declining software sales BTW. And Game Pass numbers both in subscribers and revenue aren't anywhere near enough to offset Xbox hardware decline that we're seeing.

IMO, Xbox could be on track for the end of this year to reach sales of under 24 million, but at least slightly above 23 million. Moving under 24 million units sold-through within 3 years on the market is just extremely bad. Granted they may see a boost in the holiday season, but how much of that they get is going to rest a lot on Starfield. MS can't count on the ABK acquisition giving them a boost because at the very least it won't get approved this year. They have no other big 1P titles besides Forza, which isn't a system seller. They have no big 3P exclusives, and very little in way of big 3P marketing deals. Maybe they get a marketing deal for Persona 3 Remake, but I don't think it'll have too big an impact on hardware sales until closer to the game's release and it could release late this year or slip into 2024.

So let's say normally for November & December MS sees a 50% hardware boost. Okay, so (1.89 million / 4 = 472.5K * 2 = 945K * 1.5 =) 1.417 million between those two months, and that four-month period in total they do 2.36 million. Let's say Starfield is a big hit and the showcase TRULY delivers, maybe it gives them a max 20% boost in the last 3rd of the year, and a 15% boost for July and August. Now that's 2.835 million (Sept-Dec), and 1.086 million (Jul-Aug). The whole year is still just 6.756 million; that's slightly more than OG Xbox's 2004 (~ 6.2 million), but not by much, and that's both OG Xbox and Xbox Series's respective 3rd years on the market. Even if you take Ampere's 20.5 million EOY 2022 estimate (I personally think it was at best 17.8 million), it only brings Xbox's lifetime total to 27.256 million. That's slightly ahead of XBO, so they'd be tracking ahead of at least that again, but still tracking behind 360 (28 million by EOY 2008, its 3rd year).

However, I personally think that number would be closer to 24.556 million EOY 2023, so IMO even with a best-case turnaround in Xbox Series sales for the rest of the year, they still end up tracking behind both XBO and especially 360. But at least it would be an improvement, and could start a longer trend of further improving hardware sales into 2024 but only if they keep delivering on the big 1P AAA games, do stronger marketing, more 3P marketing deals and better brand optics & messaging.

Unfortunately for them since there's a good chance they continue to pursue & focus on the ABK acquisition going into the rest of this year and 2024, they'll be "distracted" and none of this has any real chance of coming to fruition.

EDIT: As for XSX ratio, well it's commonly said it's a 60:40 split in favor of the S, right? Well even with Ampere's numbers and the current VGChartz numbers XSX would probably at most be around 8.9 million, but I suspect it's less than that.

Even with a best-case scenario of sales uptick for the rest of the year, lifetime Series X would be between 9.8 million - 10.9 million; depends on if you take my 17.8 million EOY 2022 XBS number at face-value or take Ampere's 20.5 million. Which, again, I personally doubt, partly because that would have placed Xbox Series ahead of XBO and I think an official statement of that would've been mentioned around the time of their investors call in January to soften bad hardware sales news.
I appreciate your math here but i Just think sony's one-two punch of coming off of ff 16, Spider Man 2, Silent Hill 2, Cod marketing deal, assassins' creed marketing deal, fifa marketing in europe, and whatever other third party deals they have, plus a potential slim price cut is just going to be too much for xbox to overcome even if Starfield is GOTY material. Like, thats an extremely hard hill to climb already, especially when theyre coming off Redfall IMO. Xbox shill twitter accounts might say "xbox is back" IF they have a good to great show, but i dont think thats going to translate outside of extremely online gamer types who we see are not the majority of the market at all.

Its like people dumping on Sonys showcase. Yes it may have been a dud to us, but to a casual he sees the new assassins' creed, mgs 3 remake, ff16, marathon, and spider man 2. Thats a good lineup regardless of who you are as a gamer.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
God of War bundle is very popular at $499 rather than the $559MSRP price. As it should be. Last generation we didn’t have to pay for games when they were bundled.

Went right back to the top ten on Amazon.

Xbox is down in the 30’s. Not a very high wanted product as we’ve been saying.
This is a more or less subtle way to bump the price, just like the shrink ray applied to the grocery items.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
This is a more or less subtle way to bump the price, just like the shrink ray applied to the grocery items.

Yes. Sony is taking advantage of the shortages and high demand. Shortages are over so they can’t get away with it anymore. Hence they keep dropping the price.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yes. Sony is taking advantage of the shortages and high demand. Shortages are over so they can’t get away with it anymore. Hence they keep dropping the price.
They will sell their console at the highest possible price as long as they fly off the shelves fast enough. This is not a slight against them, I'd do the same if I was in the same place as they are.

Hopefully they release a cheaper slim version tho.