Are you Retro gaming in 2023?

Relaxedsun

27 May 2023
So we are half way through the year, I just wanna ask... Have you played anything retro in 2023?
We had some big hits so far the first half of the year like Zelda, RE4Remake, FF16, SF6. It seems like gaming is back big in 2023.
Here as of late I've been going retro a bit as I got a Dreamcast for Christmas and playing my first ever playthrough of Skies of Arcadia and it's been a blast!

Skies_of_Arcadia_-_Boxart.png

I've been giving some love to the ps3 a lot lately. Just beat Asura's Wrath and it's DLC.
1055_6_large.jpg

I'm also going through Trails of sky FC on Vita. It's been a treat!
Just wanted to ask, Have you Retro game any in 2023, If so, whatcha playing?

BlueLyria

Icon Extra
29 Apr 2023
Can the 3ds be considered retro already? I've been replaying some Etrian Odyssey games on my phone, besides that, the last "Retro" game I've played was Valkyria Chronicles on a CRT, god I love the ps3 era games

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Always. As of now, I have a PS3, PS5, Switch and a Series X connected to my TV. My other consoles are stored away nearby. I occasionally break out the SNES for some Mario.

I'm still buying PS3 and 360 games. And I do love going back to some PS1 classics, like RE, older FF games etc.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I want to get to it, but I need to get a CRT TV again (mine was given away) and find a way to connect my PC to it as well as a PS3. Then I'll have access to pretty much every system ever.

I don't like retro looking indies or how old games look on modern screen (unless with very good filters). Even high res PS2 games look wrong to me on modern screens.

24 Jun 2022
Yep. Just starting to explore the Yu-Gi-Oh games, I've been curious about them for a long time.

My main interest in retro games tho has generally been recently translated Japanese hidden gems. Planet Laika (PS1), for example, was awesome. Great atmosphere, great handling of mature themes, cool story and characters. Might play it again in the near future; never got a proper English release in the day though, sadly.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I never don't play Civ III, which is considered retro now, even though I've never stopped playing it, but other than that, no.

OP
OP
Relaxedsun

Relaxedsun

27 May 2023
I still play Here comes the pain almost every week with my brother on the pcsx2 emulator. First blood fight brings out the dog in me.
I was reallay hoping AEW was gonna deliver on the old school wrestling games. Judging by reviews, it did not. still wanna give it a shot by GameFly’in the game in the future.

catchew

8 Jun 2023
i've been playing breath of fire IV(main) on psx lol i miss capcom being deep in rpgs. its one of the bests i played growing up. syndicate on pc is a cool isometric one if you like cyberpunk settings. i remembered my dad playing syndicate wars on ps1 so why not. and robot alchemic drive on ps2, its super low budget from the earth defense force devs but the sense of scale is something i've been inspired by. there aren't any mech vs kaijus games like it. you pretty much remote control a mech at any distance to fight kaijus in an destructible city. controls can be clunky but usable once you get used to them but its stupid fun.

i need to find a copy of asuras wrath :eek:

Reactions: Relaxedsun

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Yes, a mix between emulation and ports to modern consoles.

Completed this year:

- Clock Tower SNES
- Ape Escape
- Pikmin
- RE0 (through Origins collection)
- FF 1, 2, 3 (via Pixel Collection)

Playing/Planned:
- Pikmin 2
- Clock Tower 1&2 PS1
- Shadow Hearts PS2
- FF 4, 5, 6, 9, 12 (probably not all this year)
- RE1Re
- Parasite Eve