Atlus Really Doesn't Want You to Know Metaphor: ReFantazio Is Coming to PS5

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
Metaphor: ReFantazio is of course coming to PS5, as Atlus would be absolutely insane to exclude the platform where the majority of its fanbase exists. The SEGA subsidiary would rather you didn’t know about it, however. Following the release of yet another trailer at Gamescom 2024 this week – seriously, perhaps it’s time to stop spoiling the title – any mention of Sony’s system has been excluded.

On the official Atlus channel, the video title for the new trailer only mentions Xbox Series X|S and PC, and the clip itself is bookmarked by Microsoft bumpers. There’s no mention of the PS5 version in the video description, and the same is true on SEGA’s channel, too.

It’s clear that Microsoft wants to associate the release with its system, perhaps in an effort to combat Sony’s overall dominance when it comes to Japanese games and JRPGs. But in this instance, we think it’s having a negative impact. The newest trailer has attracted just 16k views on the official Xbox channel at the time of writing, and not many more on Atlus’ page. You can guarantee it’d be doing over 100k if it was being advertised to PS5’s much larger audience.

• angry
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony marketing deals don't prevent the publisher to advertise other platforms on their own channel. This one does (and the other Atlus games too).

The way this Microsoft deal works is unprecedented. It's almost like Sega is forced to release it on PS5 but they don't want to. It's 100% advertised as a Xbox exclusive.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony marketing deals don't prevent the publisher to advertise other platforms on their own channel. This one does (and the other Atlus games too).

The way this Microsoft deal works is unprecedented. It's almost like Sega is forced to release it on PS5 but they don't want to. It's 100% advertised as a Xbox exclusive.
I think its MS that really doesnt want Sega mentioning its coming to PS5.
Sega already has deals with Sony. MS comes and overs pays them for a marketing deal with the cloud deal etc.

MS has to have written in the contract and Sega must have signed it. Theres no benefit in Sega choosing to do this, there just dumb enough to sign it
Is it just PS that isnt mentioned or Steam too?

• angry
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Sry but this game is just another version of the same old crap from atlus. Pedosona is particularly popular among certain dregs of society, this is just another version of it with a day night cycle. If only people stop buying and atlus for once in their existence makes another game instead of boiler plate copy paste

Reactions: Lersds

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Sry but this game is just another version of the same old crap from atlus. Pedosona is particularly popular among certain dregs of society, this is just another version of it with a day night cycle. If only people stop buying and atlus for once in their existence makes another game instead of boiler plate copy paste
Ngl pedosona is a great word to describe the fan base. they are embarrassing

11 Jul 2024
If you wanna see the lengths at which Xbox goes to completely hide the fact this game is coming to PS5 look no further than this image.
Xbox console front and center and they made sure to angle the camera man juuuuuust right to use one of the cosplayers to hide the PS5 logo in the background while showing all the other platforms in their entirety.
GTlcUCca8AA3j7x

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
If you wanna see the lengths at which Xbox goes to completely hide the fact this game is coming to PS5 look no further than this image.
Xbox console front and center and they made sure to angle the camera man juuuuuust right to use one of the cosplayers to hide the PS5 logo in the background while showing all the other platforms in their entirety.
GTlcUCca8AA3j7x
Note how the xbox is on the left side of the table, not the middle. I wonder if another console was removed from the table for that picture.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Atlus really doesn't want to know about my wallet then
We can't really just blame Atlus though it's Sega that's making these calls. I mean look at P3 reload they had all the marketing for Xbox until launch then with the dlc expansion trailer that was a day one thing on Playstation youtube. This all Segas and Microsofts doing I mean like one of the posters above me shared that image everyone knows you put names in ABC order yet every one of Microsofts deals with these guys put their console name before everyone else even though they're bottom of the list.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sega is stupid. They are definitely killing sales of their game. I follow videogames news daily and I didn't know this game is coming to PS5. Average gamer definitely has no idea about this game.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The same thread on Era is like twilight zone.

They used to be so pissed when Sony had COD, FIFA, Resident Evil and Hogwarts marketing, now they're acting all defensive saying it doesn't matter and no one cares about marketing? Makes no sense.

This is not like a usual marketing deal, the lenght Sega is going through to erase PS5 from everything is embarrassing.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Is SEGA wants to go down along with xbox, go right ahead. I already skipped on a lot of their releases because they had a GP deal AND refused to market the game for other platforms for the first 48 hours. Good luck with xbox players picking up the tab.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Sega made a deal with the devil, they made their bed and now they must ly in it. Part of Microsoft's plan to spend Sony out of business was using tactics like this to cut off PlayStation exclusives from their homeland of Japan. It's easy for an American corporation to do stuff like this with Japanese companies because America made Japan it's bitch after World War 2.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I am curious how P6 gonna turn out lot of conflicting reports regarding it. If it's (timed) exclusive on PS5 then all these promos for the other titles don't matter imo but..

SEGA chose to do this, despite Yakuza and Persona building their audience on PS for over 2 decades. I know Sony is not gonna respond like the arrogant Nintendo of the 90s but they should continue what they are doing by supporting titles like GB Fantasy Relink releasing on the same day as P3R (and doing 1 million in its first 10 days).
Yakuza founder left while back and set up his new studio Nagoshi, just market and brand his title. Let SEGA ride out with Xbox.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
I am curious how P6 gonna turn out lot of conflicting reports regarding it. If it's (timed) exclusive on PS5 then all these promos for the other titles don't matter imo but..

SEGA chose to do this, despite Yakuza and Persona building their audience on PS for over 2 decades. I know Sony is not gonna respond like the arrogant Nintendo of the 90s but they should continue what they are doing by supporting titles like GB Fantasy Relink releasing on the same day as P3R (and doing 1 million in its first 10 days).
Yakuza founder left while back and set up his new studio Nagoshi, just market and brand his title. Let SEGA ride out with Xbox.
If I remember correctly Sega stated all their titles are going to be multiplatform going forward and their games would be releasing on all platforms at the same time Xbox included. Pretty sure it was included in the contract they made with Xbox for their Azure Service that they can't be left out. Personally I think I'm done with their games going forward. Not just because of this but their recent releases burned me out. Plus the fact that they don't really entertain me anymore.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
I hope this one is good, I have middling feelings on Soul Hackers 2. The enemy designs are incredibly cool and creative, but all of the footage I've seen gave me the impression this is a smaller scale game for them the way Soul Hackers 2 was. The action overworld to turn based combat is cool tho. I'm sure the game will be fine, but I must admit I'm unsure of if this is a must have day one sorta thing.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
If I remember correctly Sega stated all their titles are going to be multiplatform going forward and their games would be releasing on all platforms at the same time Xbox included. Pretty sure it was included in the contract they made with Xbox for their Azure Service that they can't be left out. Personally I think I'm done with their games going forward. Not just because of this but their recent releases burned me out. Plus the fact that they don't really entertain me anymore.
Yep, if it was it had to be secured before that happened, Sony did a lot of deals before the start of the gen. But I doubt MS went for the partnership wo the next instalment.

I catch your drift they dropped P3R, Unicorn Overlord (Vanillaware), SMT5 port and upcoming Refantazio this year alone..

Reactions: reziel