Atlus Really Doesn't Want You to Know Metaphor: ReFantazio Is Coming to PS5

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
also, I’d liek to say im not personally offended by this. It’s a marketing deal, not some slap in the face to playstation out of spite or something. It’s just short sighted business for up front money

I already have Metaphor preordered. If its bad i’ll probably just refund it.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Atlus games are never bad tho like at worst from Atlus we get mid like Soul Hackers 2 and that was *fine*. It had a decent combat system with gorgeous artwork, decent music, and really likable characters. It's just the story and dungeon design sucked

Metaphor will be mid at worst

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Sony made Sega what it is today with Yakuza and Persona, both exclusives franchises that sold millions and kept them afloat.
Sonic, Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey, Catherine, Trauma Center, and Radiant Historia are all games that exist and are important. Persona 4 Arena was on the Xbox 360, Persona Q 1 and 2 were on the 3DS, and Yakuza 1 and 2 are on Wii U

• haha

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Atlus games are never bad tho like at worst from Atlus we get mid like Soul Hackers 2 and that was *fine*. It had a decent combat system with gorgeous artwork, decent music, and really likable characters. It's just the story and dungeon design sucked

I'm betting this will be better than P5 ( not a fan of highschool + dating sim elements anymore )

Hoping the combat is even better than SMTV

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
What annoys me is the idea that playstation players will know of it and buy it regardless. I honestly don’t think thats true, especially with a new IP.

I thnk they are killing awareness on their most popular platform. You can easily lose an audience a newer audience doing things like this. It’s assuming the playstation fanbase doesn’t have room to grow with your games which is dumb. Persona 5 sold like what 3 million and royal sold another 2 on just ps4 alone?

Why give that up for a marketing deal?

These kind of deals must've been agreed and signed upon in that 2020-2022 range when MS was throwing money around like EGS did when they first started to moneyhat games for limited exclusivity on PC. I absolutely agree that not being to advertise your game properly on the main platform suppressor of sales.
They're already making a JRPG without a Switch version, but to then kneecap your sales ceiling on the biggest platform is just an odd choice.

They still make JRPGs that don't sell mega gang buster(besides Persona 5) so I feel like marketing is pretty crucial, especially for a new IP.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sonic, Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey, Catherine, Trauma Center, and Radiant Historia are all games that exist and are important. Persona 4 Arena was on the Xbox 360, Persona Q 1 and 2 were on the 3DS, and Yakuza 1 and 2 are on Wii U
If you think any of these versions sold a decent amount LMAO 🤣 🤣

Most of them were released when Atlus was independent and near bankruptcy 🤡

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
They still make JRPGs that don't sell mega gang buster(besides Persona 5) so I feel like marketing is pretty crucial, especially for a new IP.
We were talking about the claim that Atlus owes any company or any company's fans anything because Persona games and Yakuza games were historically only on Playstation (until Arena and the Wii U ports), not game sales.
I don't care about game sales I'm not an investor. Persona especially irks me because Persona is a spinoff series who owes itself to Shin Megami Tensei if... (SNES originally) and Devil Summoner (Sega Saturn originally).

Metaphor is still on Playstation so it's not as if they're not making the game available to said Persona people anyways

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Life long Sega fan but yeah, take

None of those saved Sega’s ass like Persona and Yakuza did for that time. Total War too but not sure when they bought them

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
Sony made Sega what it is today with Yakuza and Persona, both exclusives franchises that sold millions and kept them afloat. Sega thanked them by making a deal with Microsoft for Azure shit (I guess for Hyenas that was cancelled), exclusive Xbox marketing and Gamepass money. Ungrateful company.

At least Atlus games drop in price super fast now that they have the stank of Xbox all-over them. They used to be rare and you had to buy them on ebay at full price.
I'm sorry but it's Sony that fucked up. What have they done to secure Yakuza and Persona's exclusivity? Not a damn thing. Now Xbox doesn't matter but Persona 6 could release only on Switch 2 and PC and they would be perfectly fine.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
saved Sega’s ass like Persona and Yakuza did for that time. Total War too but not sure when they bought them
Legitimately has Sega ever actually been in any danger since the Dreamcast days?
Atlus was in financial trouble prior before Persona 3 saved them a little before 20 years ago though I understand.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
I'm sorry but it's Sony that fucked up. What have they done to secure Yakuza and Persona's exclusivity? Not a damn thing. Now Xbox doesn't matter but Persona 6 could release only on Switch 2 and PC and they would be perfectly fine.
Maybe but it would also be stupid to leave out the sizable Playstation audience
Not that they will; Atlus and Sega make multiplats. Persona 6 will be on Playstation in addition to whatever else. Probably Switch 2 and PC. Maybe Xbox if Microsoft is lucky.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Yeah Im still hoping Sony has a deal with Persona 6. Persona has always been a mainly PS centric title

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I bet the marketing contracts were signed sometime in 2021 when MS/ Phil assumed that the Series S would keep up momentum, starfield and the rest of bethesdas games would be a hit, and the ABK deal would close and MS would eventually get COD exclusive. In reality the bottom fell out completely in terms of hardware sales, bethesda and starfield were MASSIVE duds, and the ABK deal took so long and had so many concessions that it eneded up not being worth it. Now the xbox division is under immense scrutiny to become profitable so much so they are going third party.

Long story short, Sega signed a deal with the devil before it was obvious this was a VERY bad deal and in the mean time MS goes third party. Sega deserve this btw.

• they're_right_you_know

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I just hope their contract with MS didn't include Virtua Fighter 6. Would be devastated if that game flopped

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
We were talking about the claim that Atlus owes any company or any company's fans anything because Persona games and Yakuza games were historically only on Playstation (until Arena and the Wii U ports), not game sales.
I don't care about game sales I'm not an investor. Persona especially irks me because Persona is a spinoff series who owes itself to Shin Megami Tensei if... (SNES originally) and Devil Summoner (Sega Saturn originally).

I am aware, but I'm speaking more generally. When a thread is about game marketing, it's basically a sales thread.
Because what is marketing about? Attempt to increase game sales.

My feelings about franchises or brands have nothing to do on the matter.
Unless it is a game in some series and there is a chance the IP it gets killed/iced by publishing decisions.
Then I might really go "what the fuck do you think you're doing?"

I just hope their contract with MS didn't include Virtua Fighter 6. Would be devastated if that game flopped
I'm most curious about the form/direction the game will take, VF5 was in 2006 afterall.
Fighting games are in the best spot they've been since the 90s.

This is great because there is higher potential customer base, but it also means competition is higher.
You can't release some barebone product anymore and coast.