Atlus Really Doesn't Want You to Know Metaphor: ReFantazio Is Coming to PS5

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Yep, if it was it had to be secured before that happened, Sony did a lot of deals before the start of the gen. But I doubt MS went for the partnership wo the next instalment.

I catch your drift they dropped P3R, Unicorn Overlord (Vanillaware), SMT5 port and upcoming Refantazio this year alone..
Unicorn Overlord wasn't bad the only problem I had with it was there was way too many characters so they didn't really focus on their personalities which made it hard to feel attached to any of them.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Sony marketing deals don't prevent the publisher to advertise other platforms on their own channel. This one does (and the other Atlus games too).

The way this Microsoft deal works is unprecedented. It's almost like Sega is forced to release it on PS5 but they don't want to. It's 100% advertised as a Xbox exclusive.
Sony should start doing that with Capcom games

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
I ain't supporting them

PS fans made Atlus

They've done nothing but spit on PS for years now. Tons of Switch exclusives, Xbox only marketing
But is this really Atlus, or SEGA being subservient to MS?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
it does feel like interest is oddly low for this, especially coming soon after dragon age which will probably do really well in the west.

Feels dumb to tie your big new original jrpg to a floundering platform that lacks traditional sales. Especially after they announced theyre bringing their first party games to playstation lol

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
It's nice for Sega that they are getting the bag from Microsoft for this, because I guarantee you not a single person is going to buy an Xbox Series console for this game, and PS5 owners will still buy the PS5 version.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I assume these deals were made before Satya stepped in and pulled the rug from under Phil and pushed the multiplatform approach. Sega has rubbed me the wrong way for years anyways and was never planning to buy this or support them. If they do the same with P6 I'll simply just buy it used when I can.

shocknero

12 Jun 2023
Sony marketing deals don't prevent the publisher to advertise other platforms on their own channel. This one does (and the other Atlus games too).

The way this Microsoft deal works is unprecedented. It's almost like Sega is forced to release it on PS5 but they don't want to. It's 100% advertised as a Xbox exclusive.
I wouldn’t say unprecedented, Destiny 1 comes to mind.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I wouldn’t say unprecedented, Destiny 1 comes to mind.
LOL! That entire lead up to the release was such an entertaining time. Who could forget this moment, though had to walk it back quite quickly as well 😂
destiny-cologne-xbox-microsoft.png

• haha
Reactions: Kokoloko

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I want to be excited for this. Haven’t seen much at all. Like I have no idea when it’s out or even this year unless I look it up.

Only reason I know it exists is because I liked persona 5 and choose to remember this is their next big game…

With that said… I know nothing and expectations are still high.

24 Jun 2022
These Altus games don’t even get the same attention and hype now that Sega decided not associate these games with PlayStation anymore.

Not a coincidence.

ResetERA tries its damnedest to manufacture hype for them, but that isn't translating to general audiences. Probably in part because the forum's pushed so many away over the years.

In a way it's a shame, but basically Atlus games have become weaponized by remaining Xbox zealots in a console war that's already over and dead. They're quick to get snarky and conflate the odd omission of PS in marketing as "3rd party deals are bad now?" yet have no power to question why Microsoft are now bringing their own 1P games to PlayStation platforms in shorter & shorter intervals. There is no core to their talking points, which is why they're so weak.

As for SEGA & Atlus...welp, they better pray this game does decently, and they already know that won't be the case on Xbox if it's not in Game Pass. I'm not even sure if Steam sales are going to be that great for it, since it's not been at any PC-centric gaming shows I can think of, and none of the marketing brings focus to the Steam version either. There may be just enough paypig fans on PlayStation to shell out at launch after basically being ignored by Atlus for the game and, if so, I guess they deserve to be ignored further. Not like their buying habits are going to change :/

But SIE specifically, shouldn't feel any obligation to help the game out. If it dies at retail, it'll be on the merits of SEGA & Atlus's own business decisions in terms of marketing. I've not seen a company go this out of its way to ignore the majority of its core fanbase since, well....since Microsoft this gen when it comes to Xbox (specifically the last couple of years). Maybe the similarities are why SEGA/Atlus decided on this marketing arrangement 😂

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I want to be excited for this. Haven’t seen much at all. Like I have no idea when it’s out or even this year unless I look it up.

Only reason I know it exists is because I liked persona 5 and choose to remember this is their next big game…

With that said… I know nothing and expectations are still high.
Atlus makes the same game with a slight twist- SMT gives u 3 superficial choices for endings, Persona is smt in school (also has the added benefit of being popular in the pedo crowd), metaphor is smt with day night cycle. This is in addition to the scam that atlus runs with their royal/complete/remaster editions.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Lersds

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Weeellllll, ironically, since we all started talking about this, I just noticed that they did actually put the trailer for this on Playstations youtube channel today. So maybe they did learn they can't market this on their own channel and not include Playstation after the P3 reload fiasco.

The trailer actually didn't look too bad I may actually backtrack on what I said previously if the reviews are decent atleast.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
What annoys me is the idea that playstation players will know of it and buy it regardless. I honestly don’t think thats true, especially with a new IP.

I thnk they are killing awareness on their most popular platform. You can easily lose an audience a newer audience doing things like this. It’s assuming the playstation fanbase doesn’t have room to grow with your games which is dumb. Persona 5 sold like what 3 million and royal sold another 2 on just ps4 alone?

Why give that up for a marketing deal?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
What annoys me is the idea that playstation players will know of it and buy it regardless. I honestly don’t think thats true, especially with a new IP.

I thnk they are killing awareness on their most popular platform. You can easily lose an audience a newer audience doing things like this. It’s assuming the playstation fanbase doesn’t have room to grow with your games which is dumb. Persona 5 sold like what 3 million and royal sold another 2 on just ps4 alone?

Why give that up for a marketing deal?
Sony made Sega what it is today with Yakuza and Persona, both exclusives franchises that sold millions and kept them afloat. Sega thanked them by making a deal with Microsoft for Azure shit (I guess for Hyenas that was cancelled), exclusive Xbox marketing and Gamepass money. Ungrateful company.

At least Atlus games drop in price super fast now that they have the stank of Xbox all-over them. They used to be rare and you had to buy them on ebay at full price.