Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora Official Review Thread.

What do you think it will score?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Game looks incredible!

I haven't played very far, but my first comments on the game was when the caharacter escapes the ship and goes into the wild - "Wow" was my first words.

We have a true next-gen looking forest with RTGI. The game supercedes any other environments this generation and all due to ray tracing.
Stop with the hyperbole of true next gen forest. Horizon been doing true next gen forest 😂 Ray tracing or not.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Stop with the hyperbole of true next gen forest. Horizon been doing true next gen forest 😂 Ray tracing or not.
Nah bro. The biggest drawback to Horizon is it's lighting. It looked way too wrong because of them using GI light probes -- which really sucks for gaming now that RT is out.

Look at this shit man (my video)

It is completely lit properly.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Nah bro. The biggest drawback to Horizon is it's lighting. It looked way too wrong because of them using GI light probes -- which really sucks for gaming now that RT is out.

Look at this shit man (my video)

It is completely lit properly.
No I saw videos of the world. Although the game is Ubisoft, far cry trash and boring the world looked nice.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
No I saw videos of the world. Although the game is Ubisoft, far cry trash and boring the world looked nice.
I'll tell you more when I explore more. But I think it's definitely one of the top tier games this generation as far as graphics.

I'm glad that developers are now using RT like it was meant to be used to replace baked lighting solutions. Things will start to look better and better. Here's my list of stellar graphical showcases of RT this year.

1) Avatar
2) Robocop
3) Cyberpunk 2077 OD (path-tracing)
4) Alan Wake 2

Reactions: Gamernyc78

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I'll tell you more when I explore more. But I think it's definitely one of the top tier games this generation as far as graphics.

I'm glad that developers are now using RT like it was meant to be used to replace baked lighting solutions. Things will start to look better and better. Here's my list of stellar graphical showcases of RT this year.

1) Avatar
2) Robocop
3) Cyberpunk 2077 OD (path-tracing)
4) Alan Wake 2
I think the most impressive thing about that scene is the translucency of the foliage, that's iirc pretty expensive to make work and look good

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
I think the most impressive thing about that scene is the translucency of the foliage, that's iirc pretty expensive to make work and look good
It's the GI. If you compare that scene lit by RT and any environment setting in HFW, you'll find that HFW has way too much light energy around blowing out all the shadowing that should pull out light. HFW would look absolutely marvelous if GG fixes their baked GI solution. Maybe next gen. Also as an aside -- they tried to make Aloy look better by putting a local light rig right over her head. That destroys the lighting even more because it shows that their GI solution doesn't work for the dynamic characters so they had to do it that way.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Nah shit is being thrashed for being boring, it's boring and no coat of paint will fix tht.
i remember thinking this game would do alot better than i thought it would, it seems like its a bit of a stinker with many reviews saying its kinda crap.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
My review in Spanish (6/10). Definitely one of the most boring games I've played in years: https://www.pcmrace.com/2023/12/06/avatar-frontiers-of-pandora-pc-review/

In the review there are fifteen 4K screenshots at max settings and a DLSS Vs FSR 3 image comparison (FSR3 looks on par with DLSS and works quite well in this game.).

afop.exe-Screenshot-2023.12.04-02.08.09.99.jpg

Afop-Screenshot-2023.11.30-01.35.19.78.jpg
I appreciate the review pey. :love:

We have a section here for game reviews, would you mind perhaps posting your review there too?>

if that's a yes, could you do a translate for it too.

Hugs

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
i remember thinking this game would do alot better than i thought it would, it seems like its a bit of a stinker with many reviews saying its kinda crap.
It’s an UBI adaptation of a movie series that nobody cared about once the hype over the visuals for the first film died off.

It was destined for an apathetic response, and the only other reception it would have gotten would have been if the game was a technical mess and got shat on for it.

Comparatively, the collective yawn that has greeted the game seems like a kind reception.

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It’s an UBI adaptation of a movie series that nobody cared about once the hype over the visuals for the first film died off.

It was destined for an apathetic response, and the only other reception it would have gotten would have been if the game was a technical mess and got shat on for it.

Comparatively, the collective yawn that has greeted the game seems like a kind reception.
i remember watching the film a long time ago, it kinda reminded me of the emerald forest in a way, a film i grew up watching as a kid.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
So many errors here with this game.

The intro section is just poor all around... how they greenlit that and didn't at least cut it shorter or did something to make it a bit more bombastic beats me. Any QA or audience test by that team would have told you that.

First person perspective is a mistake here as well. Or should I say not optimal. Over-the-shoulder third person ala God of War, RE, TLOU would have been much better. Obviously it also adds more complexity (animation wise, specially with tall and lean characters etc) with the bar and expectation for excellence much higher (relative to peers). A few more potential issues involve creating a platforming system. Still, the challenge as opposed to settling for a Mirror's Edge solution is not something I like.

Just mid all around without the polish of a Guerrilla's Horizon for example - where you have a polished mid.

Something to be said about the U.I, as well as the default control mapping too. Not great, just serviceable.

Graphics look washed at certain times of day or spots. Despite that, during the day and for the most part, environments are beautiful. You can clearly see which departments at that studio are great and which are not - artists top notch, even modelers to a degree, programmers decent. Designers on the aggregate, scripting, animation, story-telling and overall creative direction - mid of mids.

For $40 is worth it. $70 leaves me a bad taste. Anyone wanting to skip the game loses nothing here, unfortunate to say. I myself was looking for in this game what Horizon is not. I did not get it here either.

Last edited: