Avowed Runs at 30fps on Xbox Series X and S, Obsidian Confirms

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Avowed will run at a “baseline” of 30 frames per second across Xbox Series X and S, developer Obsidian has confirmed.

Speaking on the Iron Lords Podcast, art director Matt Hansen said Obsidian is “targeting a baseline of 30fps” for the first-person fantasy RPG. 60fps sounds unlikely, however, even on the more powerful Xbox Series X.

Last edited:
11 Jul 2024
So again, we'll see the better version on the PS5 Pro with 60fps.
Don't understand why Microsoft can't just say "Guys stop buying consoles, we're not making them anymore, we're a 3rd party publisher now"

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
My eyes suck, so I am going to be fine with it. Not sure why MS can't do 60fps on their own console when other devs can. CLUELESS?

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
This is what happens when you make PC a “brother platform”.

We're waiting for something similar in Sony releases, but so far they've limited themselves to more bugs.

Reactions: arvfab

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
My eyes suck, so I am going to be fine with it. Not sure why MS can't do 60fps on their own console when other devs can. CLUELESS?
Too much investment? Longer dev time, the more money you bleed. It is already delayed.

Reactions: KvallyX
10 Jul 2024
The justification is silly. But games moving back to 30fps was predictable. On consoles, visuals have always been prioritized over performance. It’s been nice having fidelity/performance options the past few years though. Maybe there’ll be a performance mode in the future?

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
''You don't need 60''
GKVvTd9akAAUA5p.jpg

I genuinely thought this would be something special of the teaser/reveal trailer.

• haha
Reactions: Entropi

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
This week has been a disaster for the brand. Wukong being a major hit not on the platform is just icing on the cake.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Why is it so hard for gamers to understand as the console generation progresses, performance dwindles? This is completely normal and will continue to be until 60fps becomes a standard benchmark/mandatory for developers. And when that happens.... prepare for gamers to complain about graphics hardly getting better,

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
I think MS are demanding a 30fps out the door to have something new for Gamepass and the studio can patch it in later. Same happened with Starfield and more so games were pushed out the door with Redfall. Quantity over quality.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
The justification is silly. But games moving back to 30fps was predictable. On consoles, visuals have always been prioritized over performance. It’s been nice having fidelity/performance options the past few years though. Maybe there’ll be a performance mode in the future?
The pro will save us

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Why is it so hard for gamers to understand as the console generation progresses, performance dwindles? This is completely normal and will continue to be until 60fps becomes a standard benchmark/mandatory for developers. And when that happens.... prepare for gamers to complain about graphics hardly getting better,
Not performance.
Plenty of devs do 60fps, playstation too. It is all about price/usefulness.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Problem is, visually things haven’t improved over TLOU2, and that was last Gen, this gens update is running that at 60 with improvements.

Yeah, it’s all baked lighting - but it goes to show it’s all smoke and mirrors. And that’s what devs need to target to get 60 while still looking mind blowing.

It’s a technical mistake to use techniques that are not suited for the power of the machine, especially when they are not necessarily giving good results majority of the time.

Last edited: