Avowed Runs at 30fps on Xbox Series X and S, Obsidian Confirms

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
This was always nothing but pre console launch kool aid, anyone with a brain knew this was false.
Sure It's just another one of those 1st party XGS not delivering on the promises. And this one I fault more cause it was acquired among those prior to the launch of the box. Scope became smaller over the initial promise of Skyrim alongside the art style change so it's disappointing. I have no gripes with it just as a dev be upfront and honest with we prioritised 30 fps for polish instead of a 1st person game doesn't need 60 fps.

Reactions: voke

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
Explaining, Hansen said Obsidian decided to go for 30fps in order to facilitate fancier visuals, and that because Avowed is a first-person, single-player game, “you don’t necessarily need that 60 frames.”
What in the actual fuck did this man smoke before saying this?

He is trying to gaslight people into believing that the frame rate is less important in a first person game than it is in other types of games. He really thinks the people reading this are that dumb.

Last edited:

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Xbox Series X can’t eat that 60fps monster, after all. It should go down in history as one of the most overhyped consoles ever.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
30 fps on a first person game?

😂 😂 😂🤮🤮🤮
i would say otherwise should be the case, 3rd person is more forgiven, as 1st person can induce people with motion sickness.

while i have no problem with 30fps at all, this is just beyond stupid.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Xbox Series X can’t eat that 60fps monster, after all. It should go down in history as one of the most overhyped consoles ever.
The funny part to me is how their fans hyped up every new acquisition and every previous XGS studio to somehow make SSM, insomniac, and Naughty Dog tier games. It's why starfield was so hyped... they were the only ones that could've achieved something like that.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Sure It's just another one of those 1st party XGS not delivering on the promises. And this one I fault more cause it was acquired among those prior to the launch of the box. Scope became smaller over the initial promise of Skyrim alongside the art style change so it's disappointing. I have no gripes with it just as a dev be upfront and honest with we prioritised 30 fps for polish instead of a 1st person game doesn't need 60 fps.
and people trying to make an argument as whole industry is shifting.. like get the fuck out of here..
the same shit with all of their BS, always some spin about industry,
no bitch, m$ just sucks ass, not the industry as whole. stop projecting :D

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Watching them play this game live at Gamescom combat looks a little slow and janky, Frames look like its all over the place and the FOV is way to zoomed in

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
I used to always argue that PS4 was better than Xbox One because it didn't need to deal with all that DirectX abstraction overhead, and that the programmers were able to access the hardware more directly and people ridiculed me for saying that. Now that we have confirmation that the PS5 can have games perform better with weaker hardware due to its lower-level APIs, all I can do is sit back and laugh.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I used to always argue that PS4 was better than Xbox One because it didn't need to deal with all that DirectX abstraction overhead, and that the programmers were able to access the hardware more directly and people ridiculed me for saying that. Now that we have confirmation that the PS5 can have games perform better with weaker hardware due to its lower-level APIs, all I can do is sit back and laugh.

And it's not just low-level APIs this time around, PS5 is a more leaner and integrated design with more custom parts made to elevate each other.

Xbox just wanted a console with a big TF, and fuck everything else, and on top of that, they gave it a retard little brother it needs to take care of.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Watching them play this game live at Gamescom combat looks a little slow and janky, Frames look like its all over the place and the FOV is way to zoomed in
i watched it too. first few minutes were bad. laggy, combat very basic, game looks very outdated and stiff. never ever i would tell that they belong to one of the biggest companies in the world. game looks like indie.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
i watched it too. first few minutes were bad. laggy, combat very basic, game looks very outdated and stiff. never ever i would tell that they belong to one of the biggest companies in the world. game looks like indie.
Well... Obsidian is AA at best.
I understand with MS money people expect them to go AAA.
But you know... Gamepass doesn't allow AAA budget in games.... so they are probably working with AA budget yet.

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
It's got to be the pipeline hasn't it developers are really struggling with getting builds running on series s and that is having an effect on series x builds.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Because of the delay, they'll have time to optimize for a 60fps mode when it launches day one on PS5 and PS5 Pro.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
This is a smart move, when the PS5 version is announced they can market the PS5 pro version being the only place you can get 60fps to get double dippers

• fire
Reactions: ethomaz

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
Seriously.. Also the movement is weird as all hell, the player locomotion is lethargic and the platform jumping seems like the player character is an 85 year-old man

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
This was always nothing but pre console launch kool aid, anyone with a brain knew this was false.
Not necessarily false, but definitely exaggerated.
But the point stands.

Last edited: