Axios: Xbox plan around buying Activision is to put PlayStation out of business

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
You could easily mark out a road-map.....

2019 email of intent

2019 acquisitions

2020 Zenimax acquisition

2022 ABK acquisition

As part of a plan to push their only large competitor out of gaming by buying major 3rd party partners.
That is what lawyers would refer to as a clear pattern of behaviour.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Fixed it for 'ya 😉

I'm curious to see what Destin's spin on this revelation is going to be.
The rhetoric will be thats what companies do.

Deliberately missing the point that competition based on creating better products & partnerships is not the same as buying out the industry to starve out the competition to win.

Last edited:

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Conspiracy will get you more years in the pen than a verbatim crime. A thought crime.

Booty and unnamed MS exec scheme to push Sony out of the industry. MS Xbox goes on a big publisher buying spree to accomplish said goal. Booty/MS/Xbox have now been proven to conspire to push Sony out of the industry. The crime went beyond just a thought... and into actual acts to further this goal.

An easy dunk for regulatory bodies that have an abundance of ammo already as it regards to this deal. This is particularly news cause it's clear cut anti-competitive, monopolistic intent beyond the grey area. Only ignorant suckers and crazy fanboys can proudly brush this off as not a big deal with regards to the ABK acquisition.

Don't matter if you don't commit the crime (pushing Sony out). If it can be proven you conspired to do so - that is all it takes to go to the pen and serve years. Obviously " conspiracy to push Sony out" is not a criminal act but it's however perfect ammo for regulatory bodies seeking to kill an acquisition deal in front of a judge.

Deal is dead anyway.

Last edited:

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Media: Proudly presenting the worst news for the hopes and dreams of acquisition fanboys since the CMA blocked the deal.

Reee:
not listening stephen colbert GIF

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
You have all the xbots on era doing mental gymnastics to damage control this (its nothing etc) and on gaf out miserable shitstain on a human being addamsapple doing the same, delicuous

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Yes, pretty much all of us know you never asked for any of this.

@riesgoyfortuna: we know ill intended posters have been trying to come in here to troll and spam propaganda, but that is no reason to get paranoid and suspect people that you should know better than that.

Let us move on.
When they use the same methods, they are singing the same song and dance, its not getting paranoid, its Just having eyes on my face and willing to use them

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well, I personally think that not only the acquisitions are made with the idea of putting Nintendo and specially Sony out of business, I think they are only part of a bigger plan to achieve that.

Part of their bigger strategy of focusing on Game Pass and putting all their games there plus some big 3rd party games there day one. A nonsensical suicidal business plan that implies a huge investment and tons of loses during many years, something that would kill any platform holder that would try it except the only one with huge pockets to assume these loses: Microsoft.

I think their idea with these acquisitions and the 'day one on GP strategy' would be to, if GP would become super successful in Netflix or Spotify levels (many hundreds of millions of subs) to the point it would kill the other business models and subscriptions would replace game and addon sales, then to have themselves basically a monopoly because the other platform holders -and many publishers and devs- couldn't afford to get the massive loses it implies.

That would kill most of their competition, and after having killed them and having a monopoly, then they'd move to a properly profitable business.

So yes, I think their final main goal is to put Sony and other rival platform holders out of business, but I think this acquisition would be only one small piece inside of a huge puzzle that would be their overal strategy to achieve this.

The thing is that the most important piece of the puzzle, which is the success of Gamepass, isn't performing as they intented. It isn't dominating the gaming market monetization and isn't even making the other platform holders to adopt their 'AAA games day one on a game sub' suicidal strategy. In fact, isn't even dominating the game subs market.

And to have the Activision Blizzard piece would help them to compete, but not to the point that would make all that plan work. They would continue behind Sony and GP would continue behind PS Plus.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Gods&Monsters