Baldurs Gate 3 now #2 on the PSN preorder chart

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
I'm confused why you're talking about Larian and then say people on PS5 didn't care about Baldur's Gate before. The originals were from Bioware and the last one was in 2000.

If you don't count the originals then everybody is on equal footing because Larian is new to Bladurs Gate too 🤷‍♂️

I have the GOG version I don't think it's compatible
I'm talking about Larian because they had to release great games to be in the position to be given the rights to develop a new Baldur's Gate game by Wizards of the Coast in the first place.. it didn't just fall into their lap. I said PS gamers didn't care or talk about Larian's games before, but now that it's Baldur's Gate, which is specifically a storied PC game franchise.. AND because it's currently a console exclusive to PS5 due to an issue for which they can criticize Xbox, which they can use as defense against Xbox fanboys touting Starfield.. they're pushing it hard.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
I'm talking about Larian because they had to release great games to be in the position to be given the rights to develop a new Baldur's Gate game by Wizards of the Coast in the first place.. it didn't just fall into their lap. I said PS gamers didn't care or talk about Larian's games before, but now that it's Baldur's Gate, which is specifically a storied PC game franchise.. AND because it's currently a console exclusive to PS5 due to an issue for which they can criticize Xbox, which they can use as defense against Xbox fanboys touting Starfield.. they're pushing it hard.
In a way I can see your point but I'm not convinced they will use it as a way to combat touting Starfield.

PS gamers didn't really care about BG3 like they would an exclusive like FFXVI, so you are right there. And yes, it is a PC-centric title since the PC has many CRPGs of this type.

I just think that Starfield is going to be touted no matter what's out. The hype is going to be through the roof for Xbox gamers since they haven't had a good exclusive up to this point to compare with a PS exclusive.

Reactions: Remij

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
In a way I can see your point but I'm not convinced they will use it as a way to combat touting Starfield.

PS gamers didn't really care about BG3 like they would an exclusive like FFXVI, so you are right there. And yes, it is a PC-centric title since the PC has many CRPGs of this type.

I just think that Starfield is going to be touted no matter what's out. The hype is going to be through the roof for Xbox gamers since they haven't had a good exclusive up to this point to compare with a PS exclusive.
For real. The Xbox fanboys will be unbearable if Starfield scores well. It's been forever since they've had a big title to be excited about like this.. you're right about that!

Dorukhan842

5 Aug 2023
I am pre-ordering, I have a ton of credit built up in my PS stars, so I'll get it for about 20 yoyos!

I really want people on Twitter and Youtube to see how PlayStation is the 'King-maker'.... the global audience there decides what rises and what falls and Microsoft buying a publisher only hurts the games they make.

It is Larians time to rise, like From soft before them....
How will PlayStation be a "kingmaker" for this title when it was the PC audience that bought it in the millions at launch and generated the hype that FOMO'd the PS audience?

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I’ve never played a Baldurs Game before, but the trailer shown a few months back in a state of play got me interested.

I think I’ll preorder since there’s nothing else that’s interesting coming out in September anyway.

This will keep me busy until SM2
You like jrpgs? Check out Sea of Stars

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Banana and Entropi
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Off topic but i remember when i watched dungeon dragons honor among thieves movie the name baldurs gate are mentioned there

Is the movie connected to this game
No.

Baldurs Gate is the name of a city in the Forgotten Realms, a setting/world that was first created by a dude named Ed Greenwood. He published a bunch of fantasy fiction novels through TSR (publishing company that published the original DnD games before Wizards of the Coast, as well as a huge publisher of fantasy fiction novels), as well as articles in the DnD magazine called Dragon Magazine. It's now basically the default setting of DnD games.

If you read fantasy novels there were basically 2 huge franchises in the 80s and 90s, one was the Dragonlance series and the other was Forgotten Realms books.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
One of the most fatal errors Microsoft has made in a while.

They could have got a few playstation players over to xbox in september but i feel like the hype from BG3 is going to keep most people content until spider-man 2

BlueLyria

29 Apr 2023
For all the positive press this game has had in the last few days and what my friends have been saying (I'm waiting for the PS5 release, gonna play split screen with my brother like we did with Divinity) this game has real goty contender potential

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Frozone
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
For all the positive press this game has had in the last few days and what my friends have been saying (I'm waiting for the PS5 release, gonna play split screen with my brother like we did with Divinity) this game has real goty contender potential
It's absolutely great. A true RPG sandbox while maintaining a well paced, compelling story, visuals fitting a modern AAA game, the visual design is wonderful (even if the UI is a little cluttered due to how complex the DnD ruleset is)...no mtx, no $ gotcha, only $60, no incomplete game finished after launch. Pretty good performance on my machine so far, haven't noticed big drops below 144 fps on my rig. It's how games should be.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's absolutely great. A true RPG sandbox while maintaining a well paced, compelling story, visuals fitting a modern AAA game, the visual design is wonderful (even if the UI is a little cluttered due to how complex the DnD ruleset is)...no mtx, no $ gotcha, only $60, no incomplete game finished after launch. Pretty good performance on my machine so far, haven't noticed big drops below 144 fps on my rig. It's how games should be.
I had pretty much the most positive impression possible when I played the beta. Despite being a big BG fan it didn't bother me that they went with a different type of gameplay compared to the old games.

Larian approach of trying to capture the essence of the game instead of just imitating it won me over easily while some recent games trying to recreates this old Infinity Engine games didn't work at all for me.

The original Baldur's Gate games were an at temp to translate the tabletop D&D experience to a computer game and I think that's exactly what BG3 does (at least in what I saw from in the early access). It also helped that I really wanted to play DnD 5e but had no group and the BG3 beta scratched that itch.

Reactions: anonpuffs
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I had pretty much the most positive impression possible when I played the beta. Despite being a big BG fan it didn't bother me that they went with a different type of gameplay compared to the old games.

Larian approach of trying to capture the essence of the game instead of just imitating it won me over easily while some recent games trying to recreates this old Infinity Engine games didn't work at all for me.

The original Baldur's Gate games were an at temp to translate the tabletop D&D experience to a computer game and I think that's exactly what BG3 does (at least in what I saw from in the early access). It also helped that I really wanted to play DnD 5e but had no group and the BG3 beta scratched that itch.
Also the dice rolling animation is *chef's kiss*

Reactions: nongkris

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Will be the first game in a while I actually preorder in a long time so I have it as soon as it releases.

I don’t even know what the game is about but the character design is amazing.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
How will PlayStation be a "kingmaker" for this title when it was the PC audience that bought it in the millions at launch and generated the hype that FOMO'd the PS audience?
PC gamers finally a high-profile AAA timed-exclusive and they're acting so shook and possessive about it. That's what happens when your platform is never part of the zeitgeist.

Now I understand why they always team up with Xbox fans to downplay and make fun of Sony exclusives. They are the same.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
It's absolutely great. A true RPG sandbox
Ugh, I've been looking for the words to define what i love about this game so much, and this is it! The only thing that previously came to mind was that it's such a gamey game. Meaning you feel like you could literally do anything. I could only hope sony first party take notes and try to evolve their adventure genre into this format.

• haha
Reactions: Banana

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Ugh, I've been looking for the words to define what i love about this game so much, and this is it! The only thing that previously came to mind was that it's such a gamey game. Meaning you feel like you could literally do anything. I could only hope sony first party take notes and try to evolve their adventure genre into this format.
i mean...isn't this what D&D is all about?

so, is the closest to a D&D Table Top session can be in a videogame

Banana

Banned
10 Jan 2023
I am pre-ordering, I have a ton of credit built up in my PS stars, so I'll get it for about 20 yoyos!

I really want people on Twitter and Youtube to see how PlayStation is the 'King-maker'.... the global audience there decides what rises and what falls and Microsoft buying a publisher only hurts the games they make.

It is Larians time to rise, like From soft before them....
Game seems to be doing great without either console right now.