Biggest gaming disappointment?

D

Deleted member 223

I hardly ever get disappointed with my purchases cause I've my tastes refined and scout the game well before purchases.

With that said, Final Fantasy games just can't get me past the first hour for majority of them - the FOMO and hype makes me get them just to lose money on trade-ins. I've learned from that, specially with any anime inspired/heavy weeb game - it's like going back to kindergarten despite being a grown ass man. I never touched RPGs on the SNES and NES as well...tried some just to get the instant yuck reaction aka instant disappointments out the gate (including the much lauded Zelda, not to mention the other niche titles of that era). The 3D coming of age on the early 2000s was a godsend for RPGs, whether top down, semi or 3rd person... with Western ones at the forefront, on PC, and naturally bleeding to consoles.

Recent ones - Deathloop I dropped, still need to go back to finish it - just bored me. Callisto Protocol takes the cake tho - had high hopes for it. Sifu was overrated imo as well. It has its moments when the combo system clicks, but others where its leaves you scratching your head - good effort for an indie team still. Plat hunt was just OCD kicking in.

All time king: Ghouls n Ghosts on SNES. The NES title you could get past some of the first levels. The SNES release was just brutal. From performance issues to the high difficulty it was just agonizing. And the problem is that the game was so appealing to the tastes of the time - sidescroller where the player is a knight fighting monsters and the undead with solid graphics.... perfect sales pitch, akin to Castlevania but with a shoot-em up feel.

Good candidate for Capcom to revive as a full fledged AAA RPG.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Either Brink, Skyrim, or Fallout 4. Brink was the most obvious bait and switch of quality, great marketing, a lot of hype between my friends and I, then the actual release completely underbaked, boring, and lacklustre. Skyrim and Fallout 4 rather similar in that I was initially hyped for them, had them preordered, and 100%d them in a short time after launch, but the after taste was disappointing. Couldn't help but have felt after Skyrim that I wasted all the time and didn't get much out of it. Doesn't help that the final DLC when I eventually got around to playing it had a bug that prevented the final boss from dying, and Bethesda never patched it so I never finished that DLC.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
TLoU 2.
so disappointing I lost interest in ND's next game.
Yeah the first one was great I think they let cuckmann loose on the sequel & thats why it was wank the first one was heavily changed from what he originally wanted the second one he was let loose & brought that woman on Board consultant I don't remember her name but she was an annoying cunt that complained about everything

Reactions: Box
24 Jun 2022
Crash 4: I didn't like the idea of "Crash is the Dark Souls of Platformers" that was not the case when the games originally released. They were fun, accessible platformers with difficulty spikes on some sections, in order to grab coloured gems or to 100% it. Crash 4 just added too much stuff that ended up being incredibly annoying.

GTA Trilogy Remaster: Should have been up there with REmake and System Shock remake as the greatest of all time. 3 of the greatest games of all time in one package.... I can't believe they dropped the ball so bad.

RDR Remaster: 30 FPS, No PC version, no graphics improvements or first person view. Pretty lazy port but Switch fans are eating it up. Make no mistake, this was a Switch release first and foremost.

RE3Make: They should have spent more time with this one. Such a great game deserved much better.

IIRC Crash 1 had some heinously difficult areas after the halfway point in the game, and those were just the normal levels.

Technically if you want the "Dark Souls of Platformers" there are games like Little Ralph and Skullmonkeyz that fit the bill. Wish Skullmonkeyz would get a modern-day re-release.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
IIRC Crash 1 had some heinously difficult areas after the halfway point in the game, and those were just the normal levels.

Technically if you want the "Dark Souls of Platformers" there are games like Little Ralph and Skullmonkeyz that fit the bill. Wish Skullmonkeyz would get a modern-day re-release.

Not sure about that, the hard thing about crash 1 was getting the gems on the original version as you had to do it without dying. There were a couple of levels harder than average but nothing extraordinary.
Crash games got harder on the N San trilogy be cause physics were different for some reason. That's where the narrative of crash games being hard started, that ended up leading to crash 4.

Reactions: Box

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
TLOU2, I know most like it on here...but I think the story sucks and revenge has been done much better by movies in a million different ways.
I had nothing for this thread and then I read TLOU2 and yeah...for me too.

Absolutely hate what they did with the story and Abby. Lots of nonsense, cheap revenge story and awful new cast. The gameplay is the GOAT but I feel like skipping everything else.

I'm 100% sure Neil regrets it after the success of the TV Show and Pedro Pascal. Replace Dina with Joel and the game/season 2 would be much better with zero backlash.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023

Absolutely hate what they did with the story and Abby. Lots of nonsense, cheap revenge story and awful new cast. The gameplay is the GOAT but I feel like skipping everything else.

I'm 100% sure Neil regrets it after the success of the TV Show and Pedro Pascal. Replace Dina with Joel and the game/season 2 would be much better with zero backlash.
I died at the part where a pregnant woman got to the frontline.

Wtf are they smoking?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

It's not the difficulty that was the problem, Crash 4 was way too focused on crate smashing for some reason. It's like they took elements of the OG trilogy and flanderized it.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

It's funny because this is exactly why he and Amy Hennig had a rift during Uncharted 2 development because he wanted to kill off Elena for shock value and she had to stand firm against it.

Even so I still think TLOU 2 is one of the Greatest games of all time, but it was short sighted to off such a character.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Uncharted 4 Multiplayer....

Red Dead Redemption 2.... The gameplay was literally 10 years behind.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
It's funny because this is exactly why he and Amy Hennig had a rift during Uncharted 2 development because he wanted to kill off Elena for shock value and she had to stand firm against it.

Even so I still think TLOU 2 is one of the Greatest games of all time, but it was short sighted to off such a character.

This is why you never give a director too much freedom, their ego gets in the way (like Kojima)

They need to be put on a leash