BREAKING : Electronic Arts to lay off five percent of workforce

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Publisher to "move away from development of future licensed IP" that it does not believe will be successful.

Electronic Arts will lay five percent of its workforce, the company announced.

The company said it had 13,400 employees as of March 2023 in its most recent annual report, which would put the total number of employees laid off at around 670 people.

In a note to staff, Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson said the company is “moving away from development of future licensed [intellectual property] that we do not believe will be successful in our changing industry.”

GamesIndustry.biz reports that one such licensed title has been canceled as part of this plan, and that the teams working on it have been moved to other projects. An Electronic Arts representative also confirmed to the website that both its Black Panther and Iron Man games remain in development.

Reactions: John Elden Ring

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
They should publish on PC Day 1 and Xbox to save the company. Wait 🤡

This news won't get half the attention of Sony because there's no agenda to push.
Against my better judgement I do want to see links to where people have been suggesting this is the solution for Sony. Hit me with 'em

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Feels like all the companies are like - "Quick let people go now and hopefully it gets buried in all the rest!"

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

I know you're just shooting the shit but in EA's case, releasing quality PC ports would've probably helped quite a bit if they didn't release garbage PC ports.

In 2023 they published
Dead Space Remake
Wild Hearts - 48% Steam Rating
Star Wars Jedi:Survivor - 66% Steam Rating

All three of those were technically pretty compromised at launch on PC, Dead Space Remake was mostly fixed and had the least issues, but Wild Hearts is still one of the worst PC ports of 2023 and Jedi Survivor is still pretty inadequate.

Their PC ports of their sports game is also not really great as well and that's all they released this year, including EA WRC by Codemasters(which was acquired by EA in 2021).

Customers will buy products, but they expect a minimum of quality, but it is EA so...

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

This news won't get half the attention of Sony because there's no agenda to push.
9 EA games were Steam best sellers in 2023.

It was an obvious blunder not to put UFC5 out on Steam.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Looks like the added royalty one has to pay to Disney and other License holders is just a deadly combination with the ballooning budgets.
You've got to sell so many copies to break even which can be quite a challenge even with the strength of the IP helping things.

EA looks to be opting out, at least partially.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Reactions: Gamernyc78