Bungie Announces Marathon | PlayStation Showcase

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
I remember reading somewhere that bungie had a big say in the playstation purchase that it was written into the contract they remain platform independent.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
I remember reading somewhere that bungie had a big say in the playstation purchase that it was written into the contract they remain platform independent.
I don't know why Sony or even Microsoft agreed to that type of contact, but I have somewhat confidence in Sony in handling Bungie where Microsoft and Bethesda did not so much after the debacle of Redfall.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don't know why Sony or even Microsoft agreed to that type of contact, but I have somewhat confidence in Sony in handling Bungie where Microsoft and Bethesda did not so much after the debacle of Redfall.
MS and Sony publish in multiple consoles with acquired publishers because it makes more money for them than to release in a single console, and because this acquired company has a fanbase in other consoles that would become angry seeing some multi IPs/their company going exclusive for other console.

In any case, these are only rumors and assumptions taken from a quote that refers to Sony giving them creative freedom. Something that having acquired 100% could change tomorrow. It is clear that Bungie, Minecraft or Bethesda makes a lot of money in other platforms, so it's understandable that who buys them in part does it to get that money at least in some games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddasar

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Yea all you guys care about is console war fodder

Edit: CONFIRMED. The codename to Marathon was indeed Matter.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Yeah Jim Ryan said that basically lol

“The first thing to say unequivocally is that Bungie will stay an independent, multiplatform studio and publisher. Pete [Parsons, CEO] and I have spoken about many things over recent months, and this was one of the first, and actually easiest and most straightforward, conclusions we reached together. Everybody wants the extremely large Destiny 2 community, whatever platform they're on, to be able to continue to enjoy their Destiny 2 experiences. And that approach will apply to future Bungie releases. That is unequivocal.”

- Jim Ryan

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Myelin had a nice breakdown of the doc and he’s coming in as a fan of tarkov.

Destiny teams used to alternate expansions on a yearly basis . The core 3 leads on this game are the forsaken team.

I can’t imagine dedicated servers not coming to destiny post Final Shape. It’s the same engine and I’m expecting online systems including anticheat to be shared.

Also nice no last gen support. So they end last gen support whenever this drops.

Last edited:

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Sony giving them creative freedom
You could still do that but also retain control over the team to make sure they are making quality and making sure everything is okay, this is the same problem that Xbox has over their studio, there's no definite control or management.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You could still do that but also retain control over the team to make sure they are making quality and making sure everything is okay, this is the same problem that Xbox has over their studio, there's no definite control or management.
Sony fully owns the 100% of Bungie, which is now a SIE (Sony's PS division) subsidiary. Meaning, their owner and boss is Jimbo.

Sony gives creative freedom to their studios, but obviously there's an overview and control, in addition to greenlights for games and milestones. To the point that they cancel games, fire people or shut down studios when needed. Obviously will be the same with Bungie.

With Bungie Sony wants not only their successful games, but also use their knowledge in GaaS, MP and FPS to help their other teams improve in these areas. Sony has a culture of sharing best practices and knowledge, tech and tools between their different teams, it isn't new.

Bungie are a top team in this areas historically, and as I remember they remain the record of fastest selling new IP ever in gaming. This huge success gives, and also knowing that their goals are completely aligned, gives Sony extra confidence to give them freedom to let them continue doing what they do.

On top of that, as happened with MS and Minecraft or Bethesda, Sony also wants money from the other consoles and PC, but doesn't want to put their PS Studios label there, or at least all and day one beause as we see in this thread some Sony fans would riot.

So for them is a good idea to buy a 3rd party publisher and keep its publishing label and games multiplatform: they still get the money from publishing day one in the other platforms but still keeping their PS Studios/MGS games attached to their own consoles. By doing that, in addition to make more money they also keep the fans of the bought publisher in other platforms happy, avoiding riots.

If some day Bungie would go crazy, or some executive would want to do something against Sony and Sony's plans then Jimbo will step in with the axe as would do in any of their other subsidiaries, but very likely won't be needed because they are professionals and share the same goals.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Sony fully owns the 100% of Bungie, which is now a SIE (Sony's PS division) subsidiary. Meaning, their owner and boss is Jimbo.

Sony gives creative freedom to their studios, but obviously there's an overview and control, in addition to greenlights for games and milestones. To the point that they cancel games, fire people or shut down studios when needed. Obviously will be the same with Bungie.

With Bungie Sony wants not only their successful games, but also use their knowledge in GaaS, MP and FPS to help their other teams improve in these areas. Sony has a culture of sharing best practices and knowledge, tech and tools between their different teams, it isn't new.

Bungie are a top team in this areas historically, and as I remember they remain the record of fastest selling new IP ever in gaming. This huge success gives, and also knowing that their goals are completely aligned, gives Sony extra confidence to give them freedom to let them continue doing what they do.

On top of that, as happened with MS and Minecraft or Bethesda, Sony also wants money from the other consoles and PC, but doesn't want to put their PS Studios label there, or at least all and day one beause as we see in this thread some Sony fans would riot.

So for them is a good idea to buy a 3rd party publisher and keep its publishing label and games multiplatform: they still get the money from publishing day one in the other platforms but still keeping their PS Studios/MGS games attached to their own consoles. By doing that, in addition to make more money they also keep the fans of the bought publisher in other platforms happy, avoiding riots.

If some day Bungie would go crazy, or some executive would want to do something against Sony and Sony's plans then Jimbo will step in with the axe as would do in any of their other subsidiaries, but very likely won't be needed because they are professionals and share the same goals.
I have no problem with them releasing in them on PC but I have no worries about it at all either, it's Sony.

Reactions: Yurinka

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Some perspective …

2-C832228-57-D9-4-CC5-86-FA-46-F5-BD1-DE210.jpg

D44-ECF9-A-27-F4-494-F-BDF2-5-B2-AF5-EF07-E3.jpg

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Further ARG stuff is happening. Apparently massive lore dumps for world building. The community is on it. Paul tassi should have a write-up explaining later but just heard about it.

Featuring Paul tassi (marathon discussion at start)

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Watching the trailers again I noticed this QR:
image.png

Obviously it links to a website they created, about a fictional Japanese robotics & genetics company that makes apparently cyborg implants and related stuff: https://sekiguchigenetics.jp/

Website is in Japanese, but translated looks like this:
image.png

Closing the popup appears some black blocks behind, which when clicked opens the website with a lot of articles:
image.png

Clicking these floating articles offers more details of what I assume are going to be game loot items, or stuff you'll be able to buy in the store.
image.png

In the top left corner the website has a login box. I assume somewhere in the teaser or the website there's a valid login and password to unlock more stuff.

@Vertigo, you seem to be a Destiny fan so I assume you may be into Bungie's community. I assume someone already will have found and translated all these things, including what it's inside behind the login-password wall. Do you know if it's the case?

Edit: yes, people found a lot of info, including more websites. It's a full ARG game:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M4iwWZGP6-uAnPk89B_kbnKA5i3laB0ITtJ79g0ySco/preview#

I'll make a new thread.

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Watching the trailers again I noticed this QR:
image.png

Obviously it links to a website they created, about a fictional Japanese robotics & genetics company that makes apparently cyborg implants and related stuff: https://sekiguchigenetics.jp/

Website is in Japanese, but translated looks like this:
image.png

Closing the popup appears some black blocks behind, which when clicked opens the website with a lot of articles:
image.png

Clicking these floating articles offers more details of what I assume are going to be game loot items, or stuff you'll be able to buy in the store.
image.png

In the top left corner the website has a login box. I assume somewhere in the teaser or the website there's a valid login and password to unlock more stuff.

@Vertigo, you seem to be a Destiny fan so I assume you may be into Bungie's community. I assume someone already will have found and translated all these things, including what it's inside behind the login-password wall. Do you know if it's the case?

It’s an arg campaign that I believe has been making lore and narrative drops. I’m waiting for it to be collected in YouTube form. Paul tassi will surely cover it. It’s community driven to uncover and yea the community will work hard at what they can.