Bungie project code name payback cancelled

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
10 more years of d2 incoming

Adding to the uncertainty, credible insider Jeff Grubb revealed in today’s Game Mess Mornings that one of the projects affected by these layoffs was none other than ‘Payback.’ According to Grubb, the game, which was internally referred to as “the next Destiny” instead of “Destiny 3”, has been shelved.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Marathon isn’t coming out and they’re just gonna triple down on D2.

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Hmmm I doubt All they are gonna do Marathon. Has Destiny 2 basically had its last DLC right?
Maybe it was another game they were trying to be like Destiny

Saddest thing is, if its true that Playstation heads cancelled TLOU Factions because of Bungie’s estimates and advice on the game, and now Sony is realising Bungie doesnt know how to budget itself… It sucks. I just want TLOU Factions lol, shame it got cancelled

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ksdixon
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I don’t mind them rolling it all into D2. It can be done piecemeal with engine updates shared with Marathon.

They can’t lean off of Destiny for yearly revenues. Money running tight or Marathon flopping makes D3 as a fresh start less likely.

Marathon needs to be a blockbuster to even facilitate D3. Like 15 to 30 million lol. They’ve done it twice over but nothing is guaranteed

The question is now if Marathon is actually coming out.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Hmmm I doubt All they are gonna do Marathon. Has Destiny 2 basically had its last DLC right?
Maybe it was another game they were trying to be like Destiny

Saddest thing is, if its true that Playstation heads cancelled TLOU Factions because of Bungie’s estimates and advice on the game, and now Sony is realising Bungie doesnt know how to budget itself… It sucks. I just want TLOU Factions lol, shame it got cancelled

No, they already announced the next D2 saga code named Frontiers. TFS was a narrative finale for marketing purposes and for its 10 year anniversary. The over arching plot of good and evil is like unchanged. That reveal is later this month I believe.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I don’t mind them rolling it all into D2. It can be done piecemeal with engine updates shared with Marathon.

They can’t lean off of Destiny for yearly revenues. Money running tight or Marathon flopping makes D3 as a fresh start less likely.

Marathon needs to be a blockbuster to even facilitate D3.

The question is now if Marathon is actually coming out.
It would be silly to cancel Marathon. It seems people are anticipating it. Probably will be out 2025 or 2026. But if they are cutting back on the rest of the games, and Destiny 2 is mostly done, they will probably concentrate on Marathon

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
No, they already announced the next D2 saga code named Frontiers. TFS was a narrative finale for marketing purposes and for its 10 year anniversary. The over arching plot of good and evil is like unchanged. That reveal is later this month I believe.
I see. I thought it was basically the last DLC for Destiny 2

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

I wouldn’t be surprised if Marathon isn’t coming out and they’re just gonna triple down on D2.

I call this bullshit, Jeff is an Xbox fanboy spreading fud over a Sony studio. Bungie said that they kept 850 people working on Destiny and Marathon.

And they don't need 850 people at all to have a lead team work on a new game and content for a sunseting game that no longer will have big yearly expansions.

With 850 people they have enough to be working at full steam on Marathon, Destiny 2 updates, Destiny 3 and another AAA game on early stages, maybe a Destiny spinoff. Plus some small team of people overviewing movie/tv show adaptations.

I see. I thought it was basically the last DLC for Destiny 2
The Final Shape was the last one of the big yearly expansions, they mentioned that it concludes the 10 years plan they originally had. They mentioned that going forward after it they'll continue releasing content in a new narrative arc but with a new format of smaller and more frequent content and activities.

I think it wouldn't make sense. The game must be around a year aprox. away from release and its teaser got 20M views on a few days.

If they would want to cancel Marathon or Destiny 3 they already would have done it with this layoff and wouldn't have kept 850 people there to work on them. Lead dev teams of AAA on their peak normally have around 150-300 people, normally around 200. That number is considerably smaller on the early stages of development and after release, when working only on post launch content.

Last edited:

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022

This is 100% bs! They literally said yesterday they will be focusing on the destiny and marathon franchises. That means they will launch marathon and pivot to a new destiny game considering major development on current destiny has stopped.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Look At This Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

The 3.7 billion deal keeps getting better :ROFLMAO: , well this is the result of buying microsoft's and activision's sloppy seconds

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if it's true the last few destiny expansions badly underperformed and the player base has been in decline for years. Not to mention the plot and lore around destiny has become a complete mess and is impossible for new players to get onboard.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Airbus

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Destiny hype has left the train ever since the first game in 2014

Used to be very popular but the 2nd game doesnt have the same effect anymore

Doubt many people care about the 3rd

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
Borderlands 4 or The Division 3 will be easy looters to jump into without having played the previous games Destiny 2 has so much plot it would be impossible to play D3 for new players and know what the hell is going on.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024

Marathon being cancelled? If that happened they would'v taken over the full board. And them having Vidocs on Marathon where they stated a year back there were nearing Alpha and would reveal more near launch doubt it.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Marathon being cancelled? If that happened they would'v taken over the full board. And them having Vidocs on Marathon where they stated a year back there were nearing Alpha and would reveal more near launch doubt it.

It is the second time Jason have to call out the bullshit rumors by Grubb this year lol

Reactions: Luffy123
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
This is 100% bs! They literally said yesterday they will be focusing on the destiny and marathon franchises. That means they will launch marathon and pivot to a new destiny game considering major development on current destiny has stopped.

It hasn’t stopped at all. D2: Frontiers is officially announced. That’s just Yurinka fake news.

I forgot they officially mentioned Marathon yesterday. That’s not cancelled then. Last playtest was two weeks ago.

So Jason saying it’s just a spin off that was cancelled… yea we’ve heard rumors about them doing spin off since those email user surveys.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Will wait for Jason's article... There's a lot of misinformation around this Bungie ordeal being spread by the other side.

Reactions: ethomaz