Bungie project code name payback cancelled

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Payback was a cancelled spin off and happened before these layoffs.

D3 never existed. Huge L for the Yurinka Fake News Network (YFNN).

🤣

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
So D3 was never in development, matter is cancelled, Marathon delayed 2 years with a new director that is an extraction game, Destiny 2 has remained flat at best. Did sony get fleeced or WHAT? Dollar for dollar this has to be one of the worst, one sided deal in the history of business right?

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
It also seems that the episodic roll out will be how they release content moving forward. 3 a year if decently sized would be a good change of pace.

These are Grubb rumors but hopefully Jason’s article to sort out the YFNN reports.

Considering the two well received expansions of the last 3 needed 6-8 month delays to cook … Bungie should consider doing major content drops at full price every two to three years instead

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Will wait for Jason's article... There's a lot of misinformation around this Bungie ordeal being spread by the other side.
People are saying on ERA that neither Grubb said that Destiny 3 was the spinoff Payback in the videocast.
Seems like somebody made up that headline fast.

But I don't put my faith in Grubb he will made up shit and say he didn't say it just to try to cover his bad guesses.

Plus never trust people that huge their Xbox.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
People are saying on ERA that neither Grubb said that Destiny 3 was the spinoff Payback in the videocast.

But I don't put my faith in Grubb he will made up shit and say he didn't say it just to try to cover his bad guesses.

Plus never trust people that huge their Xbox.

The “payback” cancellation was before the latest round of cuts according to Jason.

I’m gonna stick with the assumption I’ve been making and Bungie has clearly telegraphed. Their plans can change on the dime but…

They’re sticking with Destiny 2. Entering new world building phase as Frontiers era is set to bring us to a new galaxy and new locations. Standalone narratives. Possibly looking more like a tv series vs a film saga (they’ve been going that way). No full priced tentpole expansion until next gen. 3 episodes a year at 30-40 bucks a pop. (Might as well go for the subscription method now). I still expect to be charged 100 to 120 bucks a year.

Destiny and Marathon are using the same engine and both will receive updates concurrently as Bungie was hiring for such roles. This is what will facilitate D2 still moving forward.

Destiny could see a release on Switch 2. Renamed to Destiny. Older campaigns playable thru cloud only to ease on memory requirements.

What will be interesting is if the new studio at Playststion will also use the Tiger/Destiny engine. Probably…

Last edited:

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Forgot to add it in my previous post but in the article of OP it's also clickbait headliner, cancelled and being shelved per Grubb words are 2 different things. Then we got Schreier coming out disclaiming these rumours. Definitely made up.

Reactions: ethomaz

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
credible insider Jeff Grubb

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The “payback” cancellation was before the latest round of cuts according to Jason.

I’m gonna stick with the assumption I’ve been making and Bungie has clearly telegraphed. Their plans can change on the dime but…

They’re sticking with Destiny 2. Entering new world building phase as Frontiers era is set to bring us to a new galaxy and new locations. Standalone narratives. Possibly looking more like a tv series vs a film saga (they’ve been going that way). No full priced tentpole expansion until next gen. 3 episodes a year at 30-40 bucks a pop. (Might as well go for the subscription method now). I still expect to be charged 100 to 120 bucks a year.

Destiny and Marathon are using the same engine and both will receive updates concurrently as Bungie was hiring for such roles. This is what will facilitate D2 still moving forward.

Destiny could see a release on Switch 2. Renamed to Destiny. Older campaigns playable thru cloud only to ease on memory requirements.
They already confirmed way before Final Shape release that D2 will continue receiving expansions.
The Final Shape was just the end of an Arc of story.
New ones will come.

But it is not out of surprises if Bungie had a scrap of Destiny 3 internally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
They already confirmed way before Final Shape release that D2 will continue receiving expansions.
The Final Shape was just the end of an Arc of story.
New ones will come.

Yeah but years ago Luke Smith went on record to say that they won’t be solving the “new player onboarding” issue without a huge influx of new players and after the end of saga 1. Most assume this means a sequel or beginning of new narrative.

They’re just getting started on easing us into their new service model and it’s clearly a work in progress episode to episode. I don’t love it or hate it yet ifs just a bit of a killjoy to have the best content to play locked in act 3… two months into a new season… that’s too long of a wait.

The cost of producing content at the rate they do for Destiny has seemingly shown to be too expensive.

With this new saga I definitely don’t want to see more of the same but better or bigger either. I don’t even want to play the same kind of activities or the same kind of campaign again. It’s time for a major shakeup.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yeah but years ago Luke Smith went on record to say that they won’t be solving the “new player onboarding” issue without a huge influx of new players and after the end of saga 1. Most assume this means a sequel or beginning of new narrative.

They’re just getting started on easing us into their new service model and it’s clearly a work in progress episode to episode. I don’t love it or hate it yet ifs just a bit of a killjoy to have the best content to play locked in act 3… two months into a new season… that’s too long of a wait.

The cost of producing content at the rate they do for Destiny has seemingly shown to be too expensive.

With this new saga I definitely don’t want to see more of the same but better or bigger either. I don’t even want to play the same kind of activities or the same kind of campaign again. It’s time for a major shakeup.
I hope they don't do what they did with D1 > D2.

One of my biggest grips with Destiny 2 was not being a update to the same game but same game released as a sequel and these moved from D1 to D2 has to start everything again... even the Exotic weapons you hard earned in D1 had to be hard earned again in D2.

That was a big middle finger to the people that put over 1500 hours in Destiny.
That really made me lose the hype in continue playing it :(

I really don't want sequels of Live Service games in which you don't carry your progress.
In that case I prefer a new IP.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I hope they don't do what they did with D1 > D2.

One of my biggest grips with Destiny 2 was not being a update to the same game but same game released as a sequel and these moved from D1 to D2 has to start everything again... even the Exotic weapons you hard earned in D1 had to be hard earned again in D2.

That was a big middle finger to the people that put over 1500 hours in Destiny.
That really made me lose the hype in continue playing it :(

I really don't want sequels of Live Service games in which you don't carry your progress.
In that case I prefer a new IP.

They’ll do what they did with sunsetting and vaulting content again. And when that happens it will be the newest version of the engine shared across both Destiny and Marathon. I expect within the next year or two.

To some extent sunsetting older stuff is necessary and it happens anyway. Just depends how they do it and how heavy of an asset reset. Power creep happens year over year and you can do away with last years collection. You dump your old shit anyway.

If only weapons and gear from this most recent year carried over to a new build for instance… even that is nice. No one wants a complete reset.

A narrative reset might be fine with the new saga. For older stuff, I really do believe they’re looking at cloud solutions for when it’s time to retire older content.

It’s about time they drop the number. They’re entering a new era and should identify it as such.

Get the sequel out of your heads. As of now it’s not happening and just more Destiny because it’s their bottom line. The engine upgrades will be marginal year over year or until last gen is dropped… even with a switch 2 version likely being discussed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
WE HAVE LEAKS. Likely true

2 DLCs and 2 Seasons per year

- Will release at (roughly) the same time.
- Seasons will be entirely free aside from Pass Rewards.
- 6 months long each.

(Have more to share posting this now due to what came out today about DLCs)

More leaks:

**- Seasonal Narrative took a hit.**
- No more week-to-week story beats, OR story released all at once.
- One intro mission explaining the “why” of the Season. That's it.
- Only thing other than that is traditional character banter throughout the activity.

**- New Seasonal Loop.**
- Play base-level activities to earn seasonal gear.
- After that, completing higher-level activities to earn a higher score/rating, alongside higher power gear.
- All of this is in prep for the Rally Event.

**- Rally Event.**
- Occurs 2 times in 1 Season (totalling 4 per year)
*- You can only use Seasonal Weapons/Armor during Rallies.*
- A week-long event that will showcase new activities.
- *A Fireteam Activity*
- *A PvP Activity*
- *A Pinnacle Activity*
- Also has way harder versions of seasonal activities, but gives much better rewards.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
D3 never existed. Huge L for the Yurinka Fake News Network (YFNN).

🤣
If something the huge L is for you.

You're the one creating threads about fake news, not even labeling them as rumors. I'm the one calling your fake news thread OP bullshit:

Destiny 3 code name payback cancelled​

I call this bullshit, Jeff is an Xbox fanboy spreading fud over a Sony studio.
This wasn't Destiny 3, it was very early work on a spinoff that wasn't even in production.

Bungie now has 850 people to work on Destiny and Marathon. Enough people to work on multiple AAA games at full production, instead of just one and another one in sunseting stage getting smaller updates going forward.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
That was the original report and then more information came out. All of which is here. Titles cannot be edited by those who aren’t mods derp..

You can continue spewing your thoughts as fact but it will always be bullshit.

D3 does not exist. How long have you been spreading that lie? Two years?

Edit: Even tho they didn’t call it a numbered sequel I would’ve bet that Payback was still a sequel but going a different direction enough to facilitate considering it a diffident game. Sorta how the DS wasn’t called the GBA successor, instead a third pillar, but it clearly was. Just unsure about it.

It’s just they can’t and won’t let off the gas of D2. And now it’s clear they’re definitely not.

At this point you gotta assume that there’s always some long term plan but that can get derailed.

Marathon team had layoffs. It’s not exclusive to Destiny or the other incubated games in dev now shelved. Tassi seems to think Marathon team smaller than d2 substantially.

TFS also had a slightly weaker launch than lightfall (strongest expansion launch) despite critical reception.

I didn’t really give my review of TFS. It’s good and sorta a nostalgia trip. Great raid. Prismatic is awesome and everything plays better than ever. But we’ve had enough of this format for the last 3 years. Huge shakeup needed and last gen dropped.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
D3 does not exist. How long have you been spreading that lie? Two years?
You're the one lying here, I never claimed it existed. What I always claimed is that since before the acquisition Bungie said that they aimed to release "at least one" new IP before 2025 other than Destiny. One of them was the delayed Marathon, and the other one apparently has been moved to PS Studios and doesn't seem to be ready to be released soon.

Regarding Destiny 3, like everybody else I speculate on what they may be working on.

Destiny 1 was the fastest selling new IP in gaming history, Destiny 2 has been even more successful and continues being popular 7 years after launch, TFS was a big success. They are working on Destiny movie/tv show adaptations. Destiny is the only big IP that Bungie had when Sony bought them. So obviously Sony will want to milk the series beyond that with more Destiny games.

It's nonsensical to think they'll stop it in Destiny 2, obviously they'll make more Destiny games and one of them will be the third mainline Destiny, even if calll it something else instead of Destiny 3.

And well, they have enough people to work in several games. If none of them is Destiny 3 they better start to work on it and hurry up to release it before Destiny 2 dies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
You're the one lying here, I never claimed it existed.

Like everybody I speculate on what they may be working on.

Destiny 1 was the fastest selling new IP in gaming history, Destiny 2 has been even more successful. They are working on movie/tv show adaptations. Destiny is the only big IP that Bungie had when Sony bought them. So obviously Sony will want to milk the series with more games. It's nonsensical to think they'll stop it in Destiny 2, obviously they'll make more Destiny games and one of them will be the third mainline Destiny 3, even if calll it something else.

They have enough people to work in multiple games. If none of them is Destiny 3 they better start to work on it and hurry up to release it before Destiny 2 dies.

Dude you can be quoted that they were done with destiny content to launch D3. Like dozens of times .

Quit the bullshit. I pointed it out each time because spreading that kinda fud creates false expectations.