BUNGIE Releases Original Marathon For Free On Steam

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The PC port is much worse, without post-processing all the graphics problems are visible, and many visual features were broken in the port.

The controls are better, but there's nothing there that can't be done on a gamepad (at the time, there was no optimal gamepad control standard, so there were some problems).
Whatever visual features were lost are far less important than the plus of getting rid of the orange and while console controls have gotten better (they're still not as good as PC, there's a reason aim assist is standard now) we aren't talking remakes, we're talking the original releases and what we had back then is what we are comparing now.

24 Jun 2022
I might actually have to start putting you all on ignore, which I would hate to do, but it's getting really ridiculous at this point. It's beyond parody.

The game has been available on windows for years. They're just giving what already exists for free. More people are going to play marathon on PC than PS5 and there was really no point in compiling this for PS5.

What leads you to assume that?

Better yet how would anyone, including SIE, know that without even bothering for a PS4/5 version? A simple $5 PSN drop or free perk for PS+ members with Reward Points.
It's about showing that you care about your main customer base. SIE are not doing a great job at that these days; their PC actions should at least have parity with equivalent actions for their console. They can't be bothered to do that anymore...

..but when it's time to use the console owners as paypigs for a timed 1P exclusive that eventually gets a better & cheaper release on PC/Steam 1-2 years later (and potentially going forward, not even that far after), they're quick to "suddenly" remember their console core customer base again 🤔

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
What leads you to assume that?

Better yet how would anyone, including SIE, know that without even bothering for a PS4/5 version? A simple $5 PSN drop or free perk for PS+ members with Reward Points.
It's about showing that you care about your main customer base. SIE are not doing a great job at that these days; their PC actions should at least have parity with equivalent actions for their console. They can't be bothered to do that anymore...

..but when it's time to use the console owners as paypigs for a timed 1P exclusive that eventually gets a better & cheaper release on PC/Steam 1-2 years later (and potentially going forward, not even that far after), they're quick to "suddenly" remember their console core customer base again 🤔

You're starting to reach a really disappointing level of nonsense posts. Have always liked your posts on multiple forums, but you've lost the plot.

Not only does PC have a larger player base, but there is no gateway fee to play online on PC. Just like Helldivers, the majority of people here are going to play on PC.

The only thing that might prevent that is if they require PSN login for it, but since it will be published by Bungie, it probably won't.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I wouldn't play this anyways but it is weird they didn't have it ready for PS5 considering the new Marathon will be marketed around PlayStation.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I wouldn't play this anyways but it is weird they didn't have it ready for PS5 considering the new Marathon will be marketed around PlayStation.

lol, admits he wouldn't play it but then says he is surprised that they didn't create a completely different project to get this running on PlayStation?

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
lol, admits he wouldn't play it but then says he is surprised that they didn't create a completely different project to get this running on PlayStation?
So because me = a singular person wouldn't play it since I really don't go back to PS1 games in general... Means they shouldn't have parity across their own platform? 💀

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Guys trust me we don't want this free game on PS, the original games were crap. There is a reason they made halo and not continue on marathon
That is not the point. The point is that once again Sony puts PlayStation players last.

They made it a habit to take PlayStation players for granted and they deserve to lose their stranglehold on the console space for that.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeah I'm on the same vibe. Your owned by Sony doesnt matter if I'd play it or not we should get it along or first no matter what. It's crazy to even discount your main gaming demographic.

Reactions: Danja

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
You're starting to reach a really disappointing level of nonsense posts
Pretty brave from the master of disappointments AND nonsense to post something like this.

Not only does PC have a larger player base, but there is no gateway fee to play online on PC.

We are talking about a FREE game (or 3 games, once the whole trilogy is released), which also includes a single-player campaign.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You guys go hard in the paint 😂 I love the gaming passion on both sides.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
You guys have really displayed your performative outrage and turned it to 11.

None of you have any interest in this, but feel like it should be made available so that you're not a 2nd class citizen.

That's ridiculous.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

None of you have any interest in this, but feel like it should be made available so that you're not a 2nd class citizen.

That's ridiculous.
You get the point :) We shouldnt be second class citizens when we are your bread and butta.

Last edited:
Reactions: arvfab

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Its

That's ridiculous.
Not ridiculous at all. We're currently seeing what happened to Xbox after years of treating their console base as paypigs and second class citizens. Even though I'm a PC main I have a direct interest in the Sony console base remaining strong as that allows them to fund some of the most polished and technically advanced games on the market. Sure, you can argue that if the games come to PC and consoles go away I'll still get the games.

But the games won't be of the same quality. We see it all the time from the major 3rd party pubs - they continually destroy and defile their games with bullshit like lootboxes, season passes, endless paid dlc, unfinished games. All because they don't have a platform with an incentive to provide prestige-level games.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Its

Not ridiculous at all. We're currently seeing what happened to Xbox after years of treating their console base as paypigs and second class citizens. Even though I'm a PC main I have a direct interest in the Sony console base remaining strong as that allows them to fund some of the most polished and technically advanced games on the market. Sure, you can argue that if the games come to PC and consoles go away I'll still get the games.

But the games won't be of the same quality. We see it all the time from the major 3rd party pubs - they continually destroy and defile their games with bullshit like lootboxes, season passes, endless paid dlc, unfinished games. All because they don't have a platform with an incentive to provide prestige-level games.

How many PlayStation games are on PC?

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
None of you have any interest in this

How do you know we are not interested? I would have liked to play these games and I doubt anybody would say no to free games. In this thread only one other user said they wouldn't want to play it.

But of course it doesn't fit your agenda when people point to the hypocrisy of the scenario.

How many PlayStation games are on PC?
Too many already.

Reactions: Gamernyc78