Call Of Duty active users by platform

OP
OP
redfield

redfield

20 Jun 2023
CoD is more profitable on other platforms than on the own platform that is buying it, if the game becomes exclusive how will it sustain?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Kotick didn't say that these are the exact percentages and didn't say if they were MAU or DAU, he said "The bulk of players are playing on phones. Then you have probably 25% on PC, and then there's probably say 15-16% play on PlayStation, 7-8% that play on Xbox.". He also said CoD has "70M" DAU and "nearly 100M" (the whole Activision has 98M, but part of that isn't CoD) MAU:

Again we see PS outperforming XB around 2:1. I estimated CoD was played by around 10% of the PS MAU, pretty on point. What it surprises me it's to see that there are a little more players on PC than in console.

I assume these numbers mean that Warzone is basically played by the same people who buy the paid CoD, and that CoD has an insane engagement. >70% of their MAU playing daily is a huge engagement.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
And again we see PS outperforming XB around 2:1. I estimated CoD was played by around 10% of the PS MAU, pretty on point. What it surprises me it's to see that there are a little more players on PC than in console.

I assume these numbers mean that Warzone is basically played by the same people who buy the paid CoD, and that CoD has an insane engagement.

It’s definitely Warzone. Paid CoD is lumped in there so there’s no distinction to make.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Wow never thought COD was that big on PC. Activision should put more care on the PC version then... it's terrible.

Reactions: Zzero

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
pc/mobile taking the cake yet again. i truly only use my console for exclusives at this point. and even that is going away with Sony's GaaS first party.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I don't believe those stats for PC unless there's some kind of COD Mobile for PC only I'm not aware of?

COD was never that big on PC compared to console and it wasn't even on Steam until last year. No way there was an explosion of 25 millions MAU suddenly.

Reactions: Box

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Based on this logic playstation looks dead too, so your point?
No it doesn't. Xbox is a lot more shooter focused and the bulk of it's sale are in the US/UK yet it still has half the number of CoD players PS5 has.

Dead, there is nothing going on for Xbox.

In the event MS buys ABK they'll have even less reasons to care about Xbox.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I don't believe those stats for PC unless there's some kind of COD Mobile for PC only I'm not aware of?

COD was never that big on PC compared to console and it wasn't even on Steam until last year. No way there was an explosion of 25 millions MAU suddenly.

I’d be willing to bet that’s Warzone and not boxed Modern Warfare. International pc audiences will jump on f2p BRs. You won’t see a distinction until next year unfortunately because f2p Warzone 2 and boxed Modern Warfare 2 are deceptively tracked as a single game.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Look normal to me. PS twice as much as Xbox consoles sold and has twice as much COD players.

All this drama to take players away from the 3rd out of 4 platforms? Clearly MS is after mobile and PC most of all. PS is collateral damage.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
No it doesn't. Xbox is a lot more shooter focused and the bulk of it's sale are in the US/UK yet it still has half the number of CoD players PS5 has.

Dead, there is nothing going on for Xbox.

In the event MS buys ABK they'll have even less reasons to care about Xbox.

No way.

The idea that Xbox is the online fps console is an obsolete point that came about the 360 era when Halo was still relevant.

The PlayStation 5 is the console of choice for both shooters and online gaming. Not Xbox. That changed when the PS4 mopped the floor with them.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
No way.

The idea that Xbox is the online fps console is an obsolete point that came about the 360 era when Halo was still relevant.

The PlayStation 5 is the console of choice for both shooters and online gaming. Not Xbox.
So Xbox doesn't even have that going for it anymore? How is that better? What are Americans playing on their Xbox then?

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
The same things PlayStation gamers play. There’s not much of a difference of what the dominant games are on each platform aside from a few exclusives that enjoy a cup of coffee for a month or two (or in Xbox’s case … a day or two)

Online gamers go where the players go. Total population is the most important metric here. You’ll see worthless controller preference debates but they’re trivial points.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Yeah, folks don't realize that ps is as dudebro as Xbox game wise. It has more Japanese games but the bulk of the most popular games are the same.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The same things PlayStation gamers play. There’s not much of a difference of what the dominant games are on each platform aside from a few exclusives that enjoy a cup of coffee for a month or two (or in Xbox’s case … a day or two)

Online gamers go where the players go. Total population is the most important metric here. You’ll see worthless controller preference debates but they’re trivial points.
Except that's not true at all, Japanese games splits still heavily favor PlayStation and Sony games sell drastically more than Xbox exclusives.

If on top of that Xbox is also getting bellow average shooter and F2P splits than it got nothing else left. RIP.

Xbox One user base is likely proportionally way less active than the PS4 user base because of how bad the One was and because they pushed the Series S.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxParrish

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
That makes no difference when it comes to online games when they blow out player engagement of single player games as they are designed to. That doesn’t mean those Japanese games or exclusives are in place of those major online games… they are not.

There are no sales metrics for Xbox games anymore. Saying “sales” vs Xbox exclusives isn’t even a valid statement when they’re selling gamespass rental fees and not a singular piece of software. Gamepass killed software sales for Xbox and third parties. It’s a disaster for many reasons.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Mobile is huge. I was not expecting that for CoD.

MS can subsidize losing up to 16% of the CoD users. That's the problem.