Callisto Protocol‘s Dev Says “Game Pass is a Difficult Financial Model”

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
“You play through once [in The Callisto Protocol]. I think those services are built towards some of the open-world style and repetitive multiplayer games. I think games [like that] survive well on that service.”
“Microsoft has their own single-player games within the service, and I still think you're going to see the platform holder studios provide single-player games in them; I'm just saying [that] as a financial model, it's a difficult one to make work as an independent studio," James said. "I think you're going to see single-player games, but it will probably come from the hardware companies."
"As an independent, third-party, it's really hard to make a linear third-person game work within those services. I'm not saying never; it's hard financially to make that work,"

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Makes sense. Bigger studios like MS can still make quality SP games on the service. For smaller studios it’s riskier.

Reactions: CloudStrife

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Makes sense. Bigger studios like MS can still make quality SP games on the service. For smaller studios it’s riskier.
Also if you look at the way that Microsoft develops single player games they always have some type of social engineering involved that allow them to fit into this model.

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Also if you look at the way that Microsoft develops single player games they always have some type of social engineering involved that allow them to fit into this model.

True.

Also I forgot this game has PlayStation exclusive launch content. I’m sure their marketing deal has a GamePass clause, which makes it a lot harder to come to GamePass 😆

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Yep. Event wtihout gamepass the industry has moved away of Pure Single Player Games. Game pass just exacerbates GaaS/early access/ incomplete bullshit.

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
fxhA.gif

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
Hasn’t GamePass had a bunch of linear SP games?
If it is a 3rd party single player game then chances are they thought it wouldn't meet sales expectations so they took a Gamepass offer or sales dried up so they put it on Gamepass