Can we do It, Sonybros?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The game is not 10 years old. Full remake, new release came out today October 4th 2024. Supermassive already got paid 10 years ago, this is new.

Don't try to be sneaky. Silent Hill 2 is coming out next week from Bloober. Is that the same game from Team Silent 20 years ago? No, so don't play dumb with Until Dawn. It's a flop.
Until Dawn was released late August 2015, it's so over 9 years old. They refurbished for the next gen and made a few changes, but it's mostly the same and looks better but mostly the same because there's only one generation of difference. Many people complained saying it wasn't needed because it's from the previous generation.

Silent Hill 2 doesn't have only a generation of difference, it has 3 generations of difference. Silent Hill 2 was released 23 years ago, so the difference versus the original one is obviously noticiably larger. It doesn't feel that it's the same game refurbished a generation later.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Until Dawn was released late August 2015, it's so over 9 years old. They refurbished for the next gen and made a few changes, but it's mostly the same and looks better but mostly the same because there's only one generation of difference. Many people complained saying it wasn't needed because it's from the previous generation.

Silent Hill 2 doesn't have only a generation of difference, it has 3 generations of difference. Silent Hill 2 was released 23 years ago, so the difference versus the original one is obviously noticiably larger. It doesn't feel that it's the same game refurbished a generation later.
Damage control. The only difference is this one is Sony and the other is Konami so you have to do twists and turns for Sony because you can't admit it's flopping bad. Embarrassing.

I bet the Until Dawn remake cost more than Silent Hill even. 100% sure.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Damage control. The only difference is this one is Sony and the other is Konami so you have to do twists and turns for Sony because you can't admit it's flopping bad. Embarrassing.
We have no idea of its sales, cost, goals and sales expectations. So we can't know if it tanked or not. In fact we're in launch day, so not even Sony knows if it will tank or not because it's too early.

You say it tanked just because you hate Sony and hate to see them publishing stuff in PC, to the point you even reject to believe Sony's reports about their PC sales and revenue, even claiming Sony's numbers are fake, as if they had any reason to lie to their investors and workers. Which is pretty ridiculous.

I bet the Until Dawn remake cost more than Silent Hill even. 100% sure.
In Until Dawn they did use a new engine, remade some stuff and added things, but many other things could be the same (assets/animations/mocap/voiceover...) with improvements on top. Not the typical remaster, it has more work on it, but still can rehash many things. And well, many people worked in the previous version so they are familiar with how everything works.

Not the same for SH2, they can't rehash PS2 games and had to redo everything from scratch. And are a different team. So in that part SH2 would need more work.

Then, being a Sony game means more budget than being a Konami game in support/corporate tasks: stuff like cutscenes/cinematics/support teams/marketing/etc. has a bigger profile and bigger budget by default.

Then, the lead dev team are ex-Deviation devs from UK in one side who come from making several AAA games. That team must be more expensive than a Polish team who made some AA games.

So I don't know, but maybe yes, Until Dawn remake may be more expensive than SH2.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
So I don't know, but maybe yes, Until Dawn remake may be more expensive than SH2.
That's all you needed to say so yes Sony is losing money with this remake. I have no need to be on Sony board and look at their financials to know.

Use basic math. They are not breaking even on this. Never. It's a write-off.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
If not Helldivers 2 success they would probably already thinking about dropping their pc initiative.
I mean its always been evident to me that PC crowd leans so heavily towards multiplayer, coop and live service games. No one ever is playing the single player stuff outside bethesda

• they're_right_you_know

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
That's all you needed to say so yes Sony is losing money with this remake. I have no need to be on Sony board and look at their financials to know.

Sony are deluded and have a high opinion of themselves.

They would have been better simply tweaking the original and releasing it.

• they're_right_you_know

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

It's dumb to take any conclussions just a few hours after release and only having early CCUs as reference and nothing from the PS5 version.

Specially when it's a 10 years old game being sold at $60 and that sold 4M in PS4 and that even Sackboy PC port (even if isn't a remake or remaster, so way cheaper) must be profitable.

They started to shoot the Until Dawn movie in August, so may be premiered next year, around when the remake may be price cutted, pumping its sales and getting a further bump thanks to the movie if the movie performs well. Firesprite has been working on their horror adventure for a while, so who knows if it's the sequel and if may also be released next year.

Meaning, pretty likely they expect to sell the units in the long term, maybe more than already is common in pc. Specially when being a previous gen game refurbished and being sold at full price, with that pricing is clear they don't expect to focus their sales at launch. Pretty likely their strategy is to spread sales over time and have a synergy with the movie once heavily discounted. And who knows if with its -in case it exists- sequel too.