Can we stop acting or run with the narrative that PS is not a direct competitor to Nintendo Switch

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
That Jay guy is a moron.
Sony owns the movie Spider man, not the games, Disney can literally tell Sony to port the games to Xbox.
What is the Fucking 1st name on this game. Lego. Last i checked, they are an independent company so they can literally tell Sony to port this game to anything Lego wants, cause Lego owns the rights to fucking Lego, no matter what IP is on it. Sony doesn't own shit in this game apart from the name and the dev helping make it.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
That Jay guy is a moron.
Sony owns the movie Spider man, not the games, Disney can literally tell Sony to port the games to Xbox.
What is the Fucking 1st name on this game. Lego. Last i checked, they are an independent company so they can literally tell Sony to port this game to anything Lego wants, cause Lego owns the rights to fucking Lego, no matter what IP is on it. Sony doesn't own shit in this game apart from the name and the dev helping make it.
Disney cannot tell Sony to port Spiderman to Xbox actually 😉

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Did people forget Wipeout 64? And only thr Sony gsmes for the Gameboy,Nes and Snes?

even Sucker Punch made a game fornthe N64

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
Disney cannot tell Sony to port Spiderman to Xbox actually 😉
Really not in the mood for jokes about a stupid lego game.
Why weren't people acting spaztic when the Ghostbusters game came out in 2008 on the 360? Sony owns that.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Why weren't people acting spaztic when the Ghostbusters game came out in 2008 on the 360? Sony owns that.
Movie rights and games rights aren't one in the same?

Banana

10 Jan 2023
it's really not

The fun of console wars was only ever PS vs Xbox and Xbox is as good as dead now

Idc about Switch getting games or even PC TBH

I dont have a switch because handheld games on a small screen don't interest me and I don't have a PC because it's far too much annoying tinkering

From a business stand point we are moving into an era of maxing revenue generation. Im not expecting but wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo tested the waters on PC themselves - maybe a Splatoon or something
Splatoon with M&K would be pretty nice. Motion controls are ass.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Wait until people find out that Xbox licences blue ray technology from Sony
That apple uses Sony cameras
That Sony uses Microsoft Azure cloud

• haha
Reactions: Banana

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Wait until people find out that Xbox licences blue ray technology from Sony
That apple uses Sony cameras
That Sony uses Microsoft Azure cloud
The amazing sound chip in the snes was also sony.

Fanboys don't live in reality.

Hell, if Playstation was true to Sony, the ps1 would have had games on minidisc.

Reactions: Box

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Younger people will be interested in the IP & would want to get a playstation.
Come on... lmao

It worked great for Xbox, rigth?

So many copes in this tread, funny that it all starts with Horizon again. The same people saying it's just Horizon will be making up diferent excuses when other games get ported as well.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer
OP
OP
N

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Switch is definitely a direct competitor to PS5, so is Steam. But PlayStation is run by the most incompetent people in the industry.

I guarantee more PS 1st party ports to Switch 2 next generation. Bookmark this.
Which is why PlayStation will always be 3rd place in gaming even thoe Sony has more money then Nintendo & Steam to steam roll em both or at the very least be 1.1 very similar in scale in the console/hardware space.

Nintendo #1
Steam #2
PlayStation #3

You can even argue Apple iPhone/IOS is set up to overtake PlayStation & PlayStation can be considered #4 & Xbox #5

Reactions: Diah and JAHGamer
26 Nov 2023
Nintendo Is smart. They don’t do shit like this that leaves cracks in there platform or storefront.

You want a Nintendo game you buy a Nintendo console point blank no question ask

Nintendo built their franchises up going back to the 80’s so they can still maintain that hold on their games. PlayStation was always a brand built on third party games and their IPs were never AS strong as they are now. The console landscape is vastly different to the 90s and 00s with audiences split between all these different platforms and to get maximum exposure you branch out where it makes sense.

Lego Horizon makes sense to me as a push to attract a wider userbase where games like this thrive. If Astrobot was on Switch then yeah I’d get your point but it’s not and it’s being pushed as a strong PlayStation only release, like they said they’d do for their big franchises. The fact that they’re not going to Xbox as well also shows the importance they place on consoles.

This really doesn’t seem like a massive deal to me 🤷‍♂️

• brain
Reactions: The Icon
OP
OP
N

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Lego Horizon makes sense to me as a push to attract a wider userbase where games like this thrive.
See the difference in vision. PS would go to Lego to expand to a potential new or wider audience.

Nintendo would make games in new genre & styles alone to expand & reach a potential new or wider audience.

Nintendo: you don’t like Mario? Here Mario Kart, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Mario 3D, Mario RPG these are all own by Nintendo Nintendo has full control of all of these universes getting 100% of all revenue

Nintendo: oh you don’t like Mario? Well here’s a Yoshi game & a Peach game. Again target new audiences that might like those characters.

When Nintendo seeks a new audience it’s to get them into the platform getting them to buy Nintendo hardware it’s to get them to buy the Nintendo online subscription & to get 30% cuts from 3rd party games they might’ve bought on Nintendo instead of elsewhere. Nintendo funnels all consumer to Nintendo platform while PS is trying funnel consumer into PS but PS net has holes so those consumer just stay on there preferred platform.

The problem is if PS is trying reach a new audience it isn’t on PS it’s not someone who would buy that product that would target a to a new audience that doesn’t or isn’t interested in PS singleplayer narrative games. If PS reach a new audience with LEGO Horizon it’s on PC & Nintendo which are people that won’t convert & are chilling on there platform they like. Is this really reaching a new audience? I mean is this a valuable new audience your simply implying that for PS to reach a new audience they should go day n date across PS, PC & Nintendo for all games to maximize the potential. This new “audience” PS reach with Lego Horzion will now say ok I got Lego Horizon I want all future Horizon games on for instance PC & Nintendo day n date if not “I’ll just wait” because Lego Horizon release on Nintendo that means Horizon Zero Dawn & Forbidden West should be ported to Nintendo to reach this “new audience”

PS needs to rely less on 3rd party ip that they don’t own or control. Focus on there existing ip rampant ip exposure & audience by making games in different genre & style for that ip. Partner with 3rd party studios & license out Ip to produce more games from key franchise. Maybe buy multiple AA & turn them to an Insomniac but for AA games that can release 2 AA games per year by making them a multi team AA focus studio. Have the AA studios work on key franchise that would be easy profits & take less time & resources.

Instance GOW we have AAA Narrative driven singleplayer GOW can we get a GOW meets Souls like how bout a GOW tactics? Or a GOW fighting game? What about a GOW Diablo like? These would all be cool & I believe would easily sell. Great expansion of the ip to different genres/style & it funnels all new audience into the PS platform & storefront. Or Ratchet & Clank there’s the AAA narrative driven singleplayer but how bout a R&C roguelike? Or a side scrolling platform Mario like R&C game? How bout a open world R&C game? Etc literally just use the Nintendo blueprint it isn’t hard.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Nintendo built their franchises up going back to the 80’s so they can still maintain that hold on their games. PlayStation was always a brand built on third party games and their IPs were never AS strong as they are now. The console landscape is vastly different to the 90s and 00s with audiences split between all these different platforms and to get maximum exposure you branch out where it makes sense.

Lego Horizon makes sense to me as a push to attract a wider userbase where games like this thrive. If Astrobot was on Switch then yeah I’d get your point but it’s not and it’s being pushed as a strong PlayStation only release, like they said they’d do for their big franchises. The fact that they’re not going to Xbox as well also shows the importance they place on consoles.

This really doesn’t seem like a massive deal to me 🤷‍♂️
People also forget some old stuff like Mario is Missing and Mario's time machine had windows and alongside the NES and SNES versions. Mario is missing even had a Mac port.
Nintendo even made PC exclusive games with the teaching typing and early years games

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
People also forget some old stuff like Mario is Missing and Mario's time machine had windows and alongside the NES and SNES versions. Mario is missing even had a Mac port.
Nintendo even made PC exclusive games with the teaching typing and early years games

Sony were releasing multi platform on Snes and PC.

Heck they were releasing on PC and N64 during the PS1 days.

Psygnosis which was acquired by Sony in 1993 was releasing for the N64 and PC in the entire 90s period and early 2000s.

Anyone remember Wipeout 64 and Destruction Derby 64? Both Sony IPs released in 1998/1999 respectively.