Can we stop acting or run with the narrative that PS is not a direct competitor to Nintendo Switch

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Most overrated game for sure.
Design Stay Safe GIF by DIVE INN - Die Innovationsagentur

it's fine tho, I know your only off by 1 number and meant to say Resident Evil 5 of course

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Design Stay Safe GIF by DIVE INN - Die Innovationsagentur

it's fine tho, I know your only off by 1 number and meant to say Resident Evil 5 of course
The game that stomped out RE4 commercially and brought in the money Capcom needed after the mediocre sales of RE4 ;)

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
The game that stomped out RE4 commercially and brought in the money Capcom needed after the mediocre sales of RE4 ;)
1. RE5 14.6 Milliion
2. RE2 Remake 13.9 Million
3. RE7 13.3 Million
4. RE4 OG 13.2 Million

only being 1.4 million above Re4 doesn't seem like that much more money?
Also the PS4/XB1 version of RE4 sold better than the PS4/XB1 version of RE5.
Lastly don't forget RE4 still to this day is the fastest selling oculus quest game to date:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
1. RE5 14.6 Milliion
2. RE2 Remake 13.9 Million
3. RE7 13.3 Million
4. RE4 OG 13.2 Million

only being 1.4 million above Re4 doesn't seem like that much more money?
Also the PS4/XB1 version of RE4 sold better than the PS4/XB1 version of RE5.
Lastly don't forget RE4 still to this day is the fastest selling oculus quest game to date:
yeah because how many times have RE4 been RE-RELEASED? and still can't pass RE5...🤣🤣

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
But remember it revolutionized over the shoulder aiming while almost destroying the franchise in the process.
Listen, I'll be honest. I find the entire 'action trilogy" to be shit compared to the older games, so it's not just RE4 for me. However, it is the game that started it. It's the one that almost did RE in. Not 5 or 6.

Here's what gets me. RE4 releases, turns the series into a shooter and gets called the GOAT. RE5 comes out, adds more of what people praised in RE4 and is called shit. Make it make sense.

P.S.

I actually really enjoyed both RE4 and 5, just not as RE games. have the Plat for RE5 as well. 6 is the one I could only beat once and never touch again.

• fire
Reactions: Danja

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Listen, I'll be honest. I find the entire 'action trilogy" to be shit compared to the older games, so it's not just RE4 for me. However, it is the game that started it. It's the one that almost did RE in. Not 5 or 6.

Here's what gets me. RE4 releases, turns the series into a shooter and gets called the GOAT. RE5 comes out, adds more of what people praised in RE4 and is called shit. Make it make sense.

P.S.

I actually really enjoyed both RE4 and 5, just not as RE games. have the Plat for RE5 as well. 6 is the one I could only beat once and never touch again.
Here's the sense you are looking for. People who liked RE4 didn't want co-op. They didn't want the el gigante to be turned into a stationary shooting part. I personally do not like the dark mines part with the flash light part. The Gameplay loop and atmosphere felt off in RE5

Reactions: Diah

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
All I am saying is RE5 course corrected the franchise commercially lol. It was slumping with RE4
Even that isn't the correct take:

RE4 was the game that helped capcom turn the ship around for them. They lost a boat load of money in FY 2003 and 2004 but finally in 2005 they started making profit again when RE4 released. Also thanks to later ports like the PS2 and Wii Edition of RE4 they kept making profit until RE5 finally released in 2009. Funny how shortly after Re5 released profits would drop quite a bit

RE4 not only course corrected the RE franchise after RE1 remake and Zero bombed on Gamecube but it course corrected capcom entirely

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Even that isn't the correct take:

RE4 was the game that helped capcom turn the ship around for them. They lost a boat load of money in FY 2003 and 2004 but finally in 2005 they started making profit again when RE4 released. Also thanks to later ports like the PS2 and Wii Edition of RE4 they kept making profit until RE5 finally released in 2009. Funny how shortly after Re5 released profits would drop quite a bit

RE4 not only course corrected the RE franchise after RE1 remake and Zero bombed on Gamecube but it course corrected capcom entirely

yes lets pretend RE are the only games they were releasing lol. Also let's ignore the fact their arcade Business crashed in 2010 causing the huge decline in revenue after the successful launches of RE5 and SF4. And yes PS2 did recuse RE4 sales... since sales were mediocre on Gamecube less than 2 million after a year 🤣

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
yes lets pretend RE are the only games they were releasing lol. Also let's ignore the fact their arcade Business crashed in 2010 causing the huge decline in revenue after the successful launches of RE5 and SF4. And yes PS2 did recuse RE4 sales... since sales were mediocre on Gamecube less than 2 million after a year 🤣
we don't have to pretend, capcom themselves credit RE4 and Monster Hunter Freedom for being able to achieve their strong profits in FY 2006 (Page 7): https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/2006annual/Annual2006e.pdf
Also Monster Hunter Freedom only sold 1.3 million total meaning Resident Evil 4 did most of the heavy lifting at this time

What other big hitters did Capcom have during this era besides Devil May Cry 3 on PS2 which only did 1 million in sales?
Okami bombed so hard they had to close clover studios?
Zelda Minish Cap sold a little less than 2 million?

Also I'm not too sure what your on about with the arcade stuff but in FY 2005 their arcade business made up about 26% or their total profits and in FY 2010 Capcom's arcade business made up around 20.5% of their profits? Only about a 5.5 percent drop

Your telling me Despite Resident Evil 5's higher sales, and on disc DLC it still couldn't stop the huge drop they had in 2010?