Careful what you wish for: Apple pulls a Unity in defiance of EU ruling

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Why can't Apple charge their 30% like consoles and Steam do?
Because EU is just looking at themselves forgetting there are consumers using these devices.
They mandate made Apple show changes that only harms the end-user but hey people are happily eating it because now they can have an alternative store front in EU.

Well people I mean blink anti-Apple consumers... because Epic, Mozilla, Spotfly, etc already said the changes are the worst possible.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
How is more choice undermining competition? Mobile phones are pretty much a necessity for our daily lives, and having more choice is paramount to consumers having the best possible services and prices available to them. In theory, that is, but this is not a bad move.
Because if you open storefront & allow others to have another “store app” on the platform you not only undermine competition & innovation you single handily make apple & google a duopoly. No other tech company is gonna bring new innovation to the mobile phone sector & give a better ecosystem when you can just have a storefront & undermine a competitor by doing less work.

If PlayStation & Nintendo allowed other storefront MS would instantly kill Xbox & try to sell games on PS & Nintendo w a Xbox storefront without having to split cut & by doing less work if this where the case ownership of ip will be the most important & while COD is 70$ on PS & Nintendo giving MS has a market cap of 3 trillion they could just loss lead a storefront selling COD & other games on the Xbox storefront making PS & Nintendo storefronts irrelevant (this just helps big tech & crushes smaller competition), would you buy COD on PS or Nintendo storefront for 70$ or on Xbox for 40$ storefront where they are loss leading idk not really great competition (there already doing this by devaluing games & trying to change gamers mind that paying a monthly subscription is “cheaper” then outright buying games) & it all just undermine innovation m, lowers quality & increases priced long term when the smaller competitors are gone & big tech has control. Healthy competition would be MS taking that 3 million market cap & making a mobile phone that’s cheaper then Apple & Google say 500$ that’s integrated w Windows, AI & Xbox imo that would benefit consumer more then MS undermining platforms & choosing to just make another storefront that at the end won’t push innovation & breed competition

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
How is more choice undermining competition? Mobile phones are pretty much a necessity for our daily lives, and having more choice is paramount to consumers having the best possible services and prices available to them. In theory, that is, but this is not a bad move.

I’d hate a world where if I wanted to play Genshin Impact on mobile I had to download the Hoyoverse app & if I wanted to play Cod mobile I had to download the Activision app if I wanted to play Clash of clan I had to download the Supercell app this will just creat more unnecessary storefronts & all game publisher would create a storefront to get 100% of income & not having to share it w Apple mobile gaming in the long term would be like streaming services 7 main storefronts to download & have on your phone to play mobile games that’s just bad.

Instead of MS wana have a storefront on mobile they can use part of that 3 trillion market cap & produce hardware in mobile phone market giving consumers cheaper phones w a good ecosystem around windows & ai then what they have w Apple & Google

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Because if you open storefront & allow others to have another “store app” on the platform you not only undermine competition & innovation you single handily make apple & google a duopoly. No other tech company is gonna bring new innovation to the mobile phone sector & give a better ecosystem when you can just have a storefront & undermine a competitor by doing less work.
Exactly! They want to create more competition but who's going to compete launching a new mobile OS when you can't even make any profit on it? Same for consoles. If Sony or Nintendo are struggling because all the publishers have their own storefronts then what is the point to make a console at all?

This is just a ploy to make big tech MS stronger by the EU and y'all fell for it.

Reactions: Puff

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
The EU regulators are trying to line MS and other big tech pockets on the back of Apple, and Apple aint having it.

Good for Apple, been on the platform for nearly 15 years and have never had an issue or felt like i was getting ripped off or missing out, at any point i could have gone out and bought a pos Android device if i ever felt sick of Apple.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The EU regulators are trying to line MS and other big tech pockets on the back of Apple, and Apple aint having it.
There's a reason why Florian, Jez and Tom are all cheering for this to go through under the guise of "good for customers".

I come here and I see the same people who were in the Activision thread against MS use the same arguments for this deal "more choices for customers". How naive can you be 🤦

Reactions: Loy310 and Puff