OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Here's my contribution.

My proposal would be to approach Disney with an offer to acquire Xbox, Mojang, and part of Zenimax (Tango, machinegames, arkane) in return for cash and switching hosting services from AWS to Azure. I'd sell off id and Bethesda to the highest bidder.
The problem right now is that Xbox's skillset doesn't match its audience. Xbox came up and made its identity the dudebro shooter console, but none of its studios are currently good at making them besides id, and they can't carry the whole identity of a console by themselves. With the loss of Activision-blizzard, it's unlikely that they are able to continue serving that audience. They also lack the expertise to do cutting edge character animation and technical artistry to compete with top level AAA games.
The current brand strengths of Xbox lies primarily in gamepass and minecraft. Halo, Gears, and Forza have long faded into background noise especially among people who don't follow gaming closely. The current strength of Xbox studios lies in making polished A to AA level games when given enough time and resources. I think they should lean into that and become a kid-centric console that focuses on colorful games with zany humor.
What I'd do is pitch to Disney an idea that there's a potential synergy in having cross-media integration between Disney properties, minecraft, and xbox such that they could become the next Nintendo. I'd fold mojang, obsidian, playground, rare, compulsion, what's left of the coalition, and what's left of 343 into one studio and pitch a genshin impact-level open world minecraft 2/mmo set to launch at the start of the next console generation. And, like Fortnite, I'd have Minecraft 2 be able to support broadcasted events where the devs can add, say, a concert where Elsa from Frozen sings. Turn10 can make a DisneyKart racer instead of Forza. Doublefine would continue doing what it does. I honestly believe they could challenge Nintendo with the strength of Disney's IP.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Are you trying to stop @Elder Legend from getting a hot meal,

Salt Bae Steak GIF
Fun fact - I went to Salt Bae's restaurant (yes the guy in the gif) in Miami back in November. He hss 2 resturants, 1 in Dubai and 1 in Miami.

Biggest waste of money. Spent $1600 for nothing special, but thankfully I wasn't the one paying, my sister, my nephew and her hubby took me out with a group of our older friends and they split the check.

It was am interesting experience, but I would never eat there again lol. Not even if I was filthy rich.

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

SuperDuper

Chief Troll Officer
Founder
16 Jun 2022
Here's my contribution.

My proposal would be to approach Disney with an offer to acquire Xbox, Mojang, and part of Zenimax (Tango, machinegames, arkane) in return for cash and switching hosting services from AWS to Azure. I'd sell off id and Bethesda to the highest bidder.
The problem right now is that Xbox's skillset doesn't match its audience. Xbox came up and made its identity the dudebro shooter console, but none of its studios are currently good at making them besides id, and they can't carry the whole identity of a console by themselves. With the loss of Activision-blizzard, it's unlikely that they are able to continue serving that audience. They also lack the expertise to do cutting edge character animation and technical artistry to compete with top level AAA games.
The current brand strengths of Xbox lies primarily in gamepass and minecraft. Halo, Gears, and Forza have long faded into background noise especially among people who don't follow gaming closely. The current strength of Xbox studios lies in making polished A to AA level games when given enough time and resources. I think they should lean into that and become a kid-centric console that focuses on colorful games with zany humor.
What I'd do is pitch to Disney an idea that there's a potential synergy in having cross-media integration between Disney properties, minecraft, and xbox such that they could become the next Nintendo. I'd fold mojang, obsidian, playground, rare, compulsion, what's left of the coalition, and what's left of 343 into one studio and pitch a genshin impact-level open world minecraft 2/mmo set to launch at the start of the next console generation. And, like Fortnite, I'd have Minecraft 2 be able to support broadcasted events where the devs can add, say, a concert where Elsa from Frozen sings. Turn10 can make a DisneyKart racer instead of Forza. Doublefine would continue doing what it does. I honestly believe they could challenge Nintendo with the strength of Disney's IP.
I am in favour: Disney will drive it to the ground and it will be over.

But what you keep on missing is that we need a competitor for Sony to thrive: competition pushes things forward, and certainly buying up companies is not how competition works.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

But what you keep on missing is that we need a competitor for Sony to thrive: competition pushes things forward, and certainly buying up companies is not how competition works.
xbox isn't really providing that in its current state though.

SuperDuper

Chief Troll Officer
Founder
16 Jun 2022
xbox isn't really providing that in its current state though.
Exactly my point. IU want better and better PS games and experiences. If they have no competition, the quality of MY beloved games will suffer.

For as much as I don't like the XBox and Microsoft, they need some good win.

Last edited:
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Exactly my point. IU want better and better PS games and experiences. If they have no competition, the quality of MY beloved games will suffer.

For as much as I don't like the XBox an Microsoft, they need some good win.
Of course. The question is how do they get to that point. Sony has a major advantage in that it's heavily invested in the film industry so it has access to a lot of expertise in digital art and animation. Microsoft doesn't. Disney, on the other hand, has that expertise. Yes, in the short term it will suck that Xbox becomes a kid centric brand, but I think there exists an opportunity to slide into the niche that the old playstation did. Sony doesn't make games like Spyro, the old ratchet and clank with adult humor, etc anymore. Imagine if Xbox really became the Pixar of gaming if they could leverage the talent from the actual Pixar. Maybe they won't be able to compete with Sony the whole ps5 generation, but I think they could carve out a big enough market segment that they could expand and challenge Sony eventually. Whereas now they are just floundering and slipping slowly into oblivion while ruining any major franchises they still have.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Structural changes:
  • Become a third-party publisher.
  • See if having a console makes financial sense. If it doesn't, abandon it completely. If third-party software sales revenue cut makes it financially worthwhile, then keep it. The following will be based on the second scenario.
  • Introduce a new $5 p/m Gamepass tier that only hosts first-party games (no third-party games). Games would launch after 12 months of release. Multiplayer games would launch on day one.
  • Put that tier on PlayStation, Nintendo, and Xbox. Much like EA Play.
  • Abandon all other tiers of Gamepass. Retrain the audience to buy first- and third-party games on Xbox.
  • Sell stupid studios like Undead Labs, Initiative, etc.
  • Layoff people in favor of leaner, more efficient operations.
  • Convince Microsoft to stop hiring contractors in the Xbox division. Only full-time employees.
  • Rely on Unreal Engine more, instead of first-party proprietary engines.
  • Create a shared library for tech, tools, and techniques among all Xbox Game Studios. Hire liaisons that represent each studio and have a monthly meeting among all studios, where each liaison, representing each studio, can share knowledge to and from.
  • Create a team like ICE than can work on graphical and visual advancements that can also tie in with the Central Tech Library of XGS.
Personnel changes:
  • Fire Phil Spencer, Aaron Greenberg, Matt Booty, etc.
  • Hire Reggie (or someone like Reggie) to run the Xbox division and replace Phil Spencer.
  • Hire Shawn Layden or Shu (or someone like them) to replace Matt Booty.
Game content changes:
  • Start producing 3 high-quality AAA premium single-player action-adventure must-play games (new IPs) of the same scale and ambition as TLOU, God of War, Horizon, Spider-Man, and Ghost of Tsushima. The genres will be: open-world fantasy action adventure, semi-open-world science-fiction game, and a linear emotional narrative-driven game.
  • Stop producing these AA crap games that make no dent. Divert all attention to making big games that people will think only Microsoft can produce because of how big they are.
  • Get a superhero license from DC or Marvel. And make a fantastic game. Hire Rocksteady to work on your IP if you can. Spend the moolah saved from the Activision acquisition.
  • Get in touch with Disney and get the license for a single-player Star Wars game, ala Fallen Order and KOTOR.
  • No more GaaS games for at least 5 years, until the reputation is restored.

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Ignoring the fact that Xbox is in a perfectly good spot and doesn’t need “saving”, if the deal fails (it won’t), here’s what I would do:

Fire Major Nelson

Allocate some of those ABK funds to secure some big third party games for GamePass, before Sony sinks their teeth in them and chops pieces out for exclusivity or gets the whole thing

Reboot more classic franchises like PGR, Crimson Skies, Links, Conker, etc. Let Rare have a shot at some of their old catalogue. I’m not familiar on what they own and what Nintendo kept. Does MS own Blast Corps? Jet Force Gemini? There are so many gems

Just some small things like that. My only beef with MS is the lack of software in 2022 but that’s not an issue anymore.

Reactions: peter42O

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
1. fire phil.
2. pull out of japan and asia.
3. stop trying to purchase established 3rd party studios that do the majority of their business on other platforms.
4. rebrand as a launcher for PC games.
5. Cross promotion with MTN DEW and Doritos brands.

• haha
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

They are big fans of the pay to win model over there.

Reactions: SuperDuper

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
1. fire phil.
2. pull out of japan and asia.
3. stop trying to purchase established 3rd party studios that do the majority of their business on other platforms.
4. rebrand as a launcher for PC games.
5. Cross promotion with MTN DEW and Doritos brands.
They've never stopped doing #5. If there is one thing Xbox is consistent at, it's cross promotion with the likes of Doritos, Duracell, etc.

They will never do 1 through 3, and you know the reason.

As for #4, they'd rather push Windows updates that break Steam instead.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
They've never stopped doing #5. If there is one thing Xbox is consistent at, it's cross promotion with the likes of Doritos, Duracell, etc.

They will never do 1 through 3, and you know the reason.

As for #4, they'd rather push Windows updates that break Steam instead.
why not just ban steam from running on windows? I'd like to see some money taken out of Gabe's fatass pockets as well.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
why not just ban steam from running on windows? I'd like to see some money taken out of Gabe's fatass pockets as well.
This is the point of Windows, MS does not get to tell you what you can do with it, they don't get a cut from third party applications (unless they are sold through the Windows Store, which barely work) and you can install it on any compatible PC.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Structural changes:
  • Become a third-party publisher.
  • See if having a console makes financial sense. If it doesn't, abandon it completely. If third-party software sales revenue cut makes it financially worthwhile, then keep it. The following will be based on the second scenario.
  • Introduce a new $5 p/m Gamepass tier that only hosts first-party games (no third-party games). Games would launch after 12 months of release. Multiplayer games would launch on day one.
  • Put that tier on PlayStation, Nintendo, and Xbox. Much like EA Play.
  • Abandon all other tiers of Gamepass. Retrain the audience to buy first- and third-party games on Xbox.
  • Sell stupid studios like Undead Labs, Initiative, etc.
  • Layoff people in favor of leaner, more efficient operations.
  • Convince Microsoft to stop hiring contractors in the Xbox division. Only full-time employees.
  • Rely on Unreal Engine more, instead of first-party proprietary engines.
  • Create a shared library for tech, tools, and techniques among all Xbox Game Studios. Hire liaisons that represent each studio and have a monthly meeting among all studios, where each liaison, representing each studio, can share knowledge to and from.
  • Create a team like ICE than can work on graphical and visual advancements that can also tie in with the Central Tech Library of XGS.
Personnel changes:
  • Fire Phil Spencer, Aaron Greenberg, Matt Booty, etc.
  • Hire Reggie (or someone like Reggie) to run the Xbox division and replace Phil Spencer.
  • Hire Shawn Layden or Shu (or someone like them) to replace Matt Booty.
Game content changes:
  • Start producing 3 high-quality AAA premium single-player action-adventure must-play games (new IPs) of the same scale and ambition as TLOU, God of War, Horizon, Spider-Man, and Ghost of Tsushima. The genres will be: open-world fantasy action adventure, semi-open-world science-fiction game, and a linear emotional narrative-driven game.
  • Stop producing these AA crap games that make no dent. Divert all attention to making big games that people will think only Microsoft can produce because of how big they are.
  • Get a superhero license from DC or Marvel. And make a fantastic game. Hire Rocksteady to work on your IP if you can. Spend the moolah saved from the Activision acquisition.
  • Get in touch with Disney and get the license for a single-player Star Wars game, ala Fallen Order and KOTOR.
  • No more GaaS games for at least 5 years, until the reputation is restored.
Is there any particular reason you have to make my suggestion ideas look terrible?

Also, I am not sure how deporting people is going to help Microsoft, unless its Phil Spencer.

Nice list btw 😍

Last edited:

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is a very interesting question, which also shows that some people are absolutely delusional when they say Xbox doesn't need "saving". I will go against the grain though, and say that my plan would involve having Xbox stay in the console market. Additionally, this plan would not save Xbox's current gen, but would rather prepare them for the next generation.

Below I'll add most of the

Administrative changes - All the changes I would make to ensure maximum success going forward. These would make Xbox a profitable company within ~ 3 to 5 years, and ensure future growth:
  • Drop ABK's acquisition
  • Change marketing strategy so that it does not rely so much on the console war angle, but rather that of a company that really wants gaming for all and is ok with having part of their business working towards multiplatform releases. This would also help them expand with key acquisitions without raising the alarm of regulatory entities.
  • Turn Xbox Game Studios into a subsidiary, simply named Xbox inc., breaking it down into three divisions
  • Replace all current Xbox leadership, having one CEO as the head of Xbox, and a president for each of the divisions, reporting directly to the CEO
  • The structure would be as follows:
    • Xbox Inc.
      • Xbox Game Studios - Responsible for first-party releases and IP
      • Xbox Media - Responsible for Movies and Series based on Xbox's IP
      • Zenimax - Responsible for third-party releases and IP. Would have games released on all platforms (whenever technology allows)
    • Additionally, reporting directly to Xbox Inc, set up or acquire a few support studios that would work with all three divisions as needed
  • Move the timeline for first-party games to be on gamepass from day one to 12 months in. Have parity between Gamepass on PC and Consoles, and have it be a single tier
  • Drop support for the Series S, offering either a full refund (like google) or a free XCloud license for the term of this generation (customer picks)
  • Microsoft IP not present on competitor platforms to be developed by Xbox Game Studios (think Halo, Gears, Forza, even Starfield)
  • Acquired multiplatform IP to be developed by Xbox Publishing (Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc)
Studio changes - Here we consider how the re-org would look like. I've placed each studio under the umbrella they would belong to. Notes added to a select few studios.
  • Xbox Inc.
    • Roundhouse Studios
    • World's Edge
    • Untitled Support Studio 1
  • Xbox Game Studios
    • 343 Industries - re-org and rename to "Master Chief Productions"
    • The Coalition
    • The Initiative
    • Ninja Theory
    • Obsidian Entertainment
    • Playground games - consolidate into Turn 10 studios
    • Rare
    • Tango gameworks
    • Turn 10 - become a multi-team studio, one responsible for Forza Motorsport, one responsible for Forza Horizon
    • Undead Labs
  • Zenimax
    • Alpha Dog Games
    • Arkane Studios
    • Bethesda Softworks - would be handing off the development of Starfield to Obsidian
    • Double Fine Games
    • id Software
    • inXile Entertainment
    • Machine Games
    • Mojang Studios
    • Zenimax Online Studios - consolidate into Bethesda Softworks
  • Potential acquisitions
    • Asobo Studio > Xbox Game Studios
    • Avalanche Studios > Xbox Game Studios
    • Blackbird Interactive > Zenimax
    • Blind Squirrel Games > Xbox, Inc
    • Certain Affinity > Xbox, Inc
    • Don't Nod > Zenimax
    • Double Eleven > Xbox, Inc
    • Interior Night > Xbox Game Studios
    • Moon Studios > Xbox Game Studios
    • Oxide Games > Xbox Game Studios
All things considered, you would have Xbox Inc with 3 support studios (with the option to expand to 6), Xbox Game Studios with 9 studios (with the option to expand to 14), and Zenimax with 8 studios (with the option to expand to 10).

For game content changes, I will steal some ideas from @Heisenberg007 since I agree with them:

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
1. halt all PC development.
2. Announce the closure of gamepass.
3. Start to make real single player games for hardcore gamers.
4. Close 343 as a show of good faith to the abused and beleaguered halo community.
5. Announce that CliffyB will be heading a complete new gears reboot (no Kait diaz).
6. End all current forza production, vow to never make another racing game as long as they live.
7. announce price drop to $89 in japan and asia, entice developers to actually make games for xbox.
8. publically denounce, shame, and disassociate with PC gamers and the PC gaming community. Pull everything from Steam.

that'd be a start.

• brain
Reactions: anonpuffs

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
This is a very interesting question, which also shows that some people are absolutely delusional when they say Xbox doesn't need "saving". I will go against the grain though, and say that my plan would involve having Xbox stay in the console market. Additionally, this plan would not save Xbox's current gen, but would rather prepare them for the next generation.

Below I'll add most of the

Administrative changes - All the changes I would make to ensure maximum success going forward. These would make Xbox a profitable company within ~ 3 to 5 years, and ensure future growth:
  • Drop ABK's acquisition
  • Change marketing strategy so that it does not rely so much on the console war angle, but rather that of a company that really wants gaming for all and is ok with having part of their business working towards multiplatform releases. This would also help them expand with key acquisitions without raising the alarm of regulatory entities.
  • Turn Xbox Game Studios into a subsidiary, simply named Xbox inc., breaking it down into three divisions
  • Replace all current Xbox leadership, having one CEO as the head of Xbox, and a president for each of the divisions, reporting directly to the CEO
  • The structure would be as follows:
    • Xbox Inc.
      • Xbox Game Studios - Responsible for first-party releases and IP
      • Xbox Media - Responsible for Movies and Series based on Xbox's IP
      • Zenimax - Responsible for third-party releases and IP. Would have games released on all platforms (whenever technology allows)
    • Additionally, reporting directly to Xbox Inc, set up or acquire a few support studios that would work with all three divisions as needed
  • Move the timeline for first-party games to be on gamepass from day one to 12 months in. Have parity between Gamepass on PC and Consoles, and have it be a single tier
  • Drop support for the Series S, offering either a full refund (like google) or a free XCloud license for the term of this generation (customer picks)
  • Microsoft IP not present on competitor platforms to be developed by Xbox Game Studios (think Halo, Gears, Forza, even Starfield)
  • Acquired multiplatform IP to be developed by Xbox Publishing (Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc)
Studio changes - Here we consider how the re-org would look like. I've placed each studio under the umbrella they would belong to. Notes added to a select few studios.
  • Xbox Inc.
    • Roundhouse Studios
    • World's Edge
    • Untitled Support Studio 1
  • Xbox Game Studios
    • 343 Industries - re-org and rename to "Master Chief Productions"
    • The Coalition
    • The Initiative
    • Ninja Theory
    • Obsidian Entertainment
    • Playground games - consolidate into Turn 10 studios
    • Rare
    • Tango gameworks
    • Turn 10 - become a multi-team studio, one responsible for Forza Motorsport, one responsible for Forza Horizon
    • Undead Labs
  • Zenimax
    • Alpha Dog Games
    • Arkane Studios
    • Bethesda Softworks - would be handing off the development of Starfield to Obsidian
    • Double Fine Games
    • id Software
    • inXile Entertainment
    • Machine Games
    • Mojang Studios
    • Zenimax Online Studios - consolidate into Bethesda Softworks
  • Potential acquisitions
    • Asobo Studio > Xbox Game Studios
    • Avalanche Studios > Xbox Game Studios
    • Blackbird Interactive > Zenimax
    • Blind Squirrel Games > Xbox, Inc
    • Certain Affinity > Xbox, Inc
    • Don't Nod > Zenimax
    • Double Eleven > Xbox, Inc
    • Interior Night > Xbox Game Studios
    • Moon Studios > Xbox Game Studios
    • Oxide Games > Xbox Game Studios
All things considered, you would have Xbox Inc with 3 support studios (with the option to expand to 6), Xbox Game Studios with 9 studios (with the option to expand to 14), and Zenimax with 8 studios (with the option to expand to 10).

For game content changes, I will steal some ideas from @Heisenberg007 since I agree with them:
Sweet Jesus, after reading all of this, I now know why you are going on Holiday for a week. 😍

• haha
Reactions: Darth Vader
Status
Not open for further replies.