Challenge: Save Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I'd they get ABK, irregardless of anything else, I think they should negotiate the revival of classic GH play, backed by unified dlc store. Have it be a service game without sequels. If I were XB and going for the throat, I'd make GH exclusive and produce new Series S/X and evoke as much 360 nostalgia as possible.

If Activision gets away from MS unscathed, I'd do it themselves as multiplaform.

But honestly Sony doing a GH exclusive deal with Activision would be best fit into the one service game model, as Sony can draw from whatever vast music libraries they have.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Here's a discussion prompt just for funsies:

The year is 2024. The FTC and CMA have indicated that they have decided to block the acquisition of Activision-Blizzard barring some very draconian concessions that Satya Nadella has decided would make the acquisition completely worthless. Worse still, gamepass has missed its growth target for the 3rd year in a row, only growing 10% instead of the target 25%. As a result, the Microsoft Board is planning to wind down the gaming division and spin off Xbox and related assets for cash. Phil Spencer is fired and you have been hired as interim CEO.

Your job is to put together a pitch to a potential buyer with a plan to turn around the company and compete with Sony and Nintendo by 2030.

Who do you approach and how do you pitch them a turnaround for Xbox?
Cancel all future hardware. Fire Matt booty, Aaron Greenberg, cut ties with all high profile Xbox podcasters like colt and has etc. Go full multiplat start porting everything taken off ps by Phil and the back catalogue to ps and Nintendo. No longer offer day on date on date to basic gamepass subs. Shut down gold.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I'd they get ABK, irregardless of anything else, I think they should negotiate the revival of classic GH play, backed by unified dlc store. Have it be a service game without sequels. If I were XB and going for the throat, I'd make GH exclusive and produce new Series S/X and evoke as much 360 nostalgia as possible.

If Activision gets away from MS unscathed, I'd do it themselves as multiplaform.

But honestly Sony doing a GH exclusive deal with Activision would be best fit into the one service game model, as Sony can draw from whatever vast music libraries they have.
They could release an Air Guitar Hero game using Kinect 3.

giphy.gif

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I do think XB should use a load of Surface Duo unsold stock or put into production the passed-on plastic bodied phone so they're more durable, and push it more as a handheld entry point for GP/remote play. Honestly if they're gonna do a new Windows mode for Deck, they can afford to make a good go of things and really intertwine Surface/XB/OS more. There's enough parts in play to have a good product, but it's MS.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I do think XB should use a load of Surface Duo unsold stock or put into production the passed-on plastic bodied phone so they're more durable, and push it more as a handheld entry point for GP/remote play. Honestly if they're gonna do a new Windows mode for Deck, they can afford to make a good go of things and really intertwine Surface/XB/OS more. There's enough parts in play to have a good product, but it's MS.
Assuming they get their ARM x86 emulation to par with Apple's they may be waiting to release an xbox device that is made to be like the steam deck, marketed alongside GP obviously.

If it's close or on par with the xbox series s it could make sense.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Assuming they get their ARM x86 emulation to par with Apple's they may be waiting to release an xbox device that is made to be like the steam deck, marketed alongside GP obviously.

If it's close or on par with the xbox series s it could make sense.
I doubt they'd be capable of doing that.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
The only way to save the Xbox division is to replace all their current leadership they're too hands off with their developers. There's a point of having freedom to do what they want and a point of having to much freedom with no direction. Which appears to be the whole dilemma the division has as a whole. Current example is Gears of War 6 is still up in the air. A couple weeks ago the voice actor of J.D one of the main characters voiced in an interview that he had no contact from the Coalition in regards to Gears 6 the 5th game was released in 2019. On top of the fact that it was confirmed the Coalition cancelled 2 games in between that time period until now. This is a management problem not a studio problem.

Secondly and their biggest problem is their gamepass subscription design. Day one titles need to stop it encourages consumers not to spend yes I know not everyone can always afford to purchase a game right at release but they can wait for a sale or until they save up. They can easily revise it to a select few titles that have served their time to be given full playthrough. Depending on the tier consumers are in they can have newer select titles tied to a timed playthrough trial of a couple hours depending on the developers completion game length. That gives consumers the option to try a lengthy chunk of the full game and decide to purchase or pass this would be more then adequate time for someone to get a good idea of the title. Playstation does this with some of their 3rd party titles and there has been little negative reception in regards to that.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
If XB get their shit together abit between the game OS for Windows/Deck (whatever it is they're making), Surface/Xbox devices, running XB games in Windows-executable code etc.

Could they combine their PC/console distinctions, and release an XB branded mini PC as the next XB?

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Saving Xbox is very simple
1. Fire Phil Spencer, Aaron Greenberg, Matt Booty
2. Discontinue GamePass permanently
3. Discontinue the Series S permanently and offer people who bought it a $20 Xbox Store gift card
4. Discontinue "Play Anywhere", no more PC or cloud support, all games become 100% console exclusive (except all Zenimax/ABK games will also be PC/Nintendo/PlayStation).
5. Secure as many 3rd party console exclusives as possible. Outbid Sony/Nintendo 5x if needed, these will be much more valuable than acquisitions.
6. Profit.

Maverick

1 Sep 2023
-Stop releasing games day 1 on PC
-Stop day 1 releases of first party games on Game Pass
-Give Halo to another studio
-AA games are fine but invest in high quality AAA experiences
-Make some 3rd party games console exclusive
-Acquire FromSoftware

Maverick

1 Sep 2023
I mean of course I don’t want Xbox to acquire FromSoftware but this can be only reason that I’ll buy Xbox. I am not interested in their current games so I’ll never buy Xbox.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I mean of course I don’t want Xbox to acquire FromSoftware but this can be only reason that I’ll buy Xbox. I am not interested in their current games so I’ll never buy Xbox.
I wonder how many Bethesda fans thought that way until Starfield was released... and how many of those are just WTF now?

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022

No can save Xbox let that garbage die. It’s been on life support for 23 yrs and all it’s doing is bleeding cash

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Lots of people say that about GH (and Rock Band) but thats what the last one was and it failed. People just aren't into gimmick controllers anymore.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Lots of people say that about GH (and Rock Band) but thats what the last one was and it failed. People just aren't into gimmick controllers anymore.
The last one changed the entire gameplay from colored buttons to black and white ones?

I mean classic GH gameplay, built as one game on modern systems, with DLC song store.

Reactions: JAHGamer

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
I honestly wouldn't expect or want new Guitar hero or Rockband nowadays. Since devs are starting to gradually step into live service games instead of just stand alone I don't even want to imagine how much they would charge for songs now.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer
Status
Not open for further replies.