CNET: PSSR works across the entire library without any game patches needed. PSSR is also coming to PSVR2 games in the future

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
It is actually CNET vs Sony....

Sony's own video clearly says PSSR is available to games that got patched only.
Video says that for every feature that is in the video. And blog post gives same * at the very end as footnote but doesn’t specify which one it encompasses or applies too. On the other hand, cnet article is written including an interview with Cerny at its basis and it seems to point PSSR different to other features requiring a patch in saying it is for the entire library. The article also must’ve gone through have been proofread and got Sony’s okay.

I think this is ‘Backwards compatible’ kind of confusion.

Edit: plus as someone mentioned it’s probably also for legal reasons as they want to cover their ass for that specific edge case game where PSSR can’t be applied to or it produces ungodly artifacts, so they won’t say entire library themselves but have interview articles say it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Entropi

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
Remember when Sony said that the top 100 PS4 games would be improved on PS5 and some people interpreted that as "only 100 games will be backward compatible on PS5"? It could be the same with PSSR

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
CNET "Cerny said the Pro will allow higher-resolution games on the PSVR 2 thanks to the GPU boost and eventually a tuning of Sony's AI upscaling that will work with all VR games."

Maybe the boost mode, which wasn't shown in the demos they played, as of now doesn't have AI enhacement but may get it in the future, like the VR games.

There is QA with CNET in 10 minutes.
URL, please? I can't find the related URL. Maybe its on Twich, Youtube or Twitter?

P.S.: Please guys ask the details about this

Remember when Sony said that the top 100 PS4 games would be improved on PS5 and some people interpreted that as "only 100 games will be backward compatible on PS5"? It could be the same with PSSR
Sony didn't say that the top 100 PS4 games would be improved.

What they said was that at that point they had tested the top 100 PS4 games and that they worked fine there.

People took it as if those were going to be the only ones to be improved, even if Sony never said that.

Azaan60

30 May 2024
CNET have updated the article.

Games will need to be patched to support PSSR.

An AI-assisted upscaling mode, called PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution, works across the whole game library but requires games to update via a patch (I thought PSSR games didn't need a patch at first, but they do), adding in details to upscale to 4K.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
CNET is the worst outlet to give this hands on to.

Didn't they do the hands for the portal? And ended up giving wrong info for that aswell?

• Informative
Reactions: Entropi

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
He confirmed in the QA that the article was wrong....

It should be a big surprise to me if that "magic" worked like intended.
Of course there are always ways implement something like that but the complexity of it and the high chances of issues made me thing that Sony probably won't take that path.

PSSR working in all games from the go is like having DLSS working in all PC games without games having a patch or mode to add the option.

That is why I said that it should be a big surprise to me.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Their live Q&A is live in Twitter, Youtube, Tik Tok, Instagram:

Seems that GT7 has two Pro modes: one for 8K upscale (no RT during gameplay) and the other one with 4K 60fps with RT during gameplay.
I wonder how it would improve GT7 on PSVR2?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
GT7 today is rendered at lower resolution on PS5 for PSVR2, no?

Edit - Found it.

"Beyond settings tweaks, there are also more significant changes to rendering resolution, with lower pixel counts that result in more obvious aliasing and pixelation."

"GT7 also makes use of foveated rendering - and the implementation is interesting. Essentially, areas outside of your focal point are rendered at a dramatically lower resolution, closer to 240p than 4K I'd say. "

The PSVR2 screen is 2000×2040 per eye.
GT7 render these two images at lower resolution.... probably where you eyes are looking it tries to render at high resolution but the places you are not focused it can reach 240p.

So here PS5 Pro can give a big boost in IQ.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Seems that Cerny said CNET that the PSSR implementation for PSVR2 is still WIP, but the idea is that it will be available somewhere in the future for devs to implement it.

The Gran Turismo team typically implements whatever new tech toy that PS releases, so make sure that in addition to the TV PS5 Pro patch implementation, when ready they'll implement the PSVR2 PS5 Pro patch.

Considering the extra horsepower improvement + PSSR improvement... it's going to look bonkers and may even feature RT in VR.