Collin Moriarty says Sony will face consequences for purchasing studios without working with them previously

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Hmmm, not really. I use to think so, but its too slow and now Playstation doesnt have enough studios.
Sony doesnt have 20 years to wait to purchase Insomniac. They’ve missed opportunities like Remedy too.

Kena did well, Wu Kong, Stellar Blade did well. Not purchased but there first major games were decent.

Colin didnt understand PS4 Pro and praised Xbox scorpion, and since then I dont think he has many braincells tbh

Plus plenty of other games that have had studios who worked with them have not so great reception. The order 1886, Driveclub, Days Gone etc.

Last edited:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Thread title makes no sense. Change the last part into something like "without working with them previously". Title is confusing.

And this guy is the most Captain Obvious I've ever seen. He'll come in with these hot takes after everyone else figured it out.

But this is true. The worst thing is, Sony management saw what they were making and still decided to buy them. What does that tell us about their judgement?

Reactions: toadsage44

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Well, Bungie had at least released games and had some collaboration with PlayStation.

The issue was the price and terms.... They can be a strong asset to Sony but they really need to get working on Destiny 3.

Let Marathon come out and then straight into D3

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Thread title makes no sense. Change the last part into something like "without working with them previously". Title is confusing.

And this guy is the most Captain Obvious I've ever seen. He'll come in with these hot takes after everyone else figured it out.

But this is true. The worst thing is, Sony management saw what they were making and still decided to buy them. What does that tell us about their judgement?
i can't edit the title, someone like @Sircaw should

Reactions: Johnic
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Well, Bungie had at least released games and had some collaboration with PlayStation.

The issue was the price and terms.... They can be a strong asset to Sony but they really need to get working on Destiny 3.

Let Marathon come out and then straight into D3
Bungie made no sense, if an acquisition doesn't bring you exclusive content, it makes no sense, Destiny will always be multiplatform and Marathon was already announced as multiplat when Sony purchased it, Content is king in this industry and instead of increasing its catalog of exclusives, Sony paid 3.6B dollars to own multiplatform games that will continue to be multiplatform, with 3.6B dollars they could've purchased at least 10 smaller studios like Remedy, studios that would actually deliver great first party / console exclusive games.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Hmmm, not really. I use to think so, but its too slow and now Playstation doesnt have enough studios.
Kena did well, Wu Kong, Stellar Blade did well. Not purchased but there first major games were decent.

Colin didnt understand PS4 Pro and praised Xbox scorpion, and since then I dont think he has many braincells tbh
better be slow than purchase random studios all to have them being closed years after, don't you think? i personally think there's a whole list of studios that could've matched PlayStation Studios perfectly, Remedy being one of them, they have a great talent for storytelling games and PlayStation has the biggest playerbase for such type of games, FromSoft is another example, even if Sony can't purchase the entirety of Kadokawa, we know they can invest, since they already own 14% of that studio, so why not increase it to 30/40% ownership to guarantee permanent marketing rights and sequels that are exclusive to PlayStation/PC? the reality here is that Sony invested 4B+ on live services and this money will never come back, this money could've given us studios necessary to release a big tentpole game every 3 months.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Honestly the one studio who I think will make it out of all of this is going to Be Bungie. I believe their re-organization has been a long time coming way back before Activision partnership.

Firewalk though, im of the mind that Sony saw another project they had besides Concord. I could be wrong. Its weird how marketing wise Astro bot has had way more hype, and exposure than a game that had an actual beta. Feels like after the state of play, with announcing the beta, what ever was planned for marketing blitz seemed very conservative in my opinion compared to others.

Maybe Sony is just shit at marketing their own MP titles? But feels like they knew during early play testing internally that there was something that wasn't catching but it was a complete product that was polished so they had to let it come to market.

If I was a bettering man, Firewalk is on watch, and I wonder if in next month or so we hear of people moving around to different studios maybe going back to separate bungie team working on new Single player IP. Or they support another title from a different studio. If we here in any way they are helping out another studio, I think thats our answer for where firewalk is on chopping block.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Honestly the one studio who I think will make it out of all of this is going to Be Bungie. I believe their re-organization has been a long time coming way back before Activision partnership.

Firewalk though, im of the mind that Sony saw another project they had besides Concord. I could be wrong. Its weird how marketing wise Astro bot has had way more hype, and exposure than a game that had an actual beta. Feels like after the state of play, with announcing the beta, what ever was planned for marketing blitz seemed very conservative in my opinion compared to others.

Maybe Sony is just shit at marketing their own MP titles? But feels like they knew during early play testing internally that there was something that wasn't catching but it was a complete product that was polished so they had to let it come to market.

If I was a bettering man, Firewalk is on watch, and I wonder if in next month or so we hear of people moving around to different studios maybe going back to separate bungie team working on new Single player IP. Or they support another title from a different studio. If we here in any way they are helping out another studio, I think thats our answer for where firewalk is on chopping block.
nope, Hermen Hulst, current CEO of PlayStation saw Concord and decided to purchase Firewalk

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
better be slow than purchase random studios all to have them being closed years after, don't you think? i personally think there's a whole list of studios that could've matched PlayStation Studios perfectly, Remedy being one of them, they have a great talent for storytelling games and PlayStation has the biggest playerbase for such type of games, FromSoft is another example, even if Sony can't purchase the entirety of Kadokawa, we know they can invest, since they already own 14% of that studio, Sony why not increase it to 30/40% ownership to guarantee permanent marketing rights and sequels that are exclusive to PlayStation/PC? the reality here is that Sony invested 4B+ on live services and this money will never come back, this money could've given us studios necessary to release a big tentpole game every 3 months.

I would normally agree, but Im done with Sony’s 20 year wait to purchase Insomnia lol and taking so long.
They have money, they make mistakes, the cancel studios all the time.
TBH they need to buy more

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I would normally agree, but Im done with Sony’s 20 year wait to purchase Insomnia lol and taking so long.
They have money, they make mistakes, the cancel studios all the time.
TBH they need to buy more, there biggest complain this gen
Yeah. We saw what happened with FromSoftware. They didn’t buy them when they had the chance, and let them get bought by someone else.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
nope, Hermen Hulst, current CEO of PlayStation saw Concord and decided to purchase Firewalk

That was not the case with Bungie. They saw the other project single player one, and were impressed/believe in it to spin off dedicated people from Bungie into their own studio?

When they buy someone they look at everything, current projects in full production and ones that are not in full. Thats called a portfolio.

Not saying firewalk wasn't a bad purchase, just saying that Sony doesn't buy someone without looking at everything they have or are working on. Firewalk had multiple projects.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yeah. We saw what happened with FromSoftware. They didn’t buy them when they had the chance, and let them get bought by someone else.

But they have stock in Fromsoftware and helped them own their own IP "Elden Ring". They are a close partner. Would not be surprised if a bid or exclusive deal has already been made a while back.

From my understanding, From is trying to distance themselves from Namco Bandai. And seeing how cagey Tenecent/Netease are in their investments, I wonder if some stocks get sold and Sony buys more shares?